Bosch Nyon - display heart rate data from Apple Watch?

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
I have a Nyon computer on my Trek Rail 7. It connect readily to my iPhone over bluetooth when I turn it on, and at the same time puts my Apple Watch Ultra into HRM mode, but it doesn't display the actual heart rate on the Nyon screen. Everything is set up between Nyon, iPhone, and the Apple fitness app, but maybe I missed something. This ability is due to a relatively recent software upgrade and associated instructions are, well....none. Have any of you been able to monitor heart rate from your Apple Watch on your Nyon computer?

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I have the Nyon. It can’t receive heart rate to your watch. Your watch itself has heart rate. If you want to read your heart rate on your Nyon, you need to wear an optional chest monitor strap. Call Bosch customer support and they can point you to a list of which chest straps will work.

Before I upgraded to the Nyon my Apple watch did send my heart rate to the Bosch Smart Hub to the phone
‘s display which was attached to the handle bar without using a monitoring strap.

Last edited:

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
I have the Nyon. It can’t receive heart rate to your watch. Your watch itself has heart rate. If you want to read your heart rate on your Nyon, you need to wear an optional chest monitor strap. Call Bosch customer support and they can point you to a list of which chest straps will work.

Before I upgraded to the Nyon my Apple watch did send my heart rate to the Bosch Smart Hub to the phone
‘s display which was attached to the handle bar without using a monitoring strap.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have bluetooth chest straps but was hoping to get away from that.

My Trek dealer did reach out to Bosch and they responded:

With the Bosch Nyon displays recent firmware update last month you will be able to utile your Apple Watch or Bluetooth heart rate sensor.
For Apple Watch:
👉Updated Software Required
👉Apple health account connected to the Bosch EBike Connect app
👉Connect app must be running on Apple Watch
👉Phone must be with you for the entire ride.
He also sent a screen shot of the link they sent him. He'll be back in on Tuesday..in the meantime I just realized that I didn't try connecting the watch to the Nyon via bluetooth, nor did I have the Ebike Connect running on the Apple Watch.

1685931643617.png

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Good to know thanks. I’ll try it. Is there a subscription fee for the Apple Health program?

Software was up to date. I enabled the heart rate tracking in Ebike connect. I'll test it out on my morning ride tomorrow.

Last edited:

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
I beleive that the health functions like heart rate are part of the watch OS and the Health app, free. Apple Fitness + is a service you can buy for tracking and sharing fitness activities. The latter isn't something that interests me much, so I'm not willing to pay the $79/per year for it.

It's the Health app that does the connecting to Ebike Connect to share the HRM, not Fitness +

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I beleive that the health functions like heart rate are part of the watch OS and the Health app, free. Apple Fitness + is a service you can buy for tracking and sharing fitness activities. The latter isn't something that interests me much, so I'm not willing to pay the $79/per year for it.

It's the Health app that does the connecting to Ebike Connect to share the HRM, not Fitness +
Thanks, I thought I did read some type of subscription fee for some health related app. Nice to know the heart rate is free. Good to see the ebike connect app on my watch face after the update awhile back. I didn't know they added this feature until your post 👍🏻.

You can also call Bosch customer service if you can't get it working. I found them to be very helpful whenever I've called them.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
HR not showing up on my Nyon during my ride. It might just be a case where the new update collects your BP data and puts it into your statistics when it syncs your ride stats.

Last edited:

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
BP not showing up on my Nyon during my ride. It might just be a case where the new update collects your BP data and puts it into your statistics when it syncs your ride stats.
Haven't been able to ride... trying to refit the bike , need new bars/stem, and they are off until I can get Trek to deliver a Knockblock adapter.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I called Bosch c/s. The guy was not familiar if it is possible to see the HR on the Nyon while riding without a chest strap. He is going to research it and email me the answer.

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
I called Bosch c/s. The guy was not familiar if it is possible to see the HR on the Nyon while riding without a chest strap. He is going to research it and email me the answer.
Here's the link to Bosch's announcement of the new software released on 4/22/2023. It appears to run counter to what the Bosch c/s guy told you. Good that he's making an effort to keep you in the loop.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I’m still reading their announcement as it only sends the HR over for statistical purposes of the ride. I’m not seeing as “Now your HR appears on your Nyon”during your ride. Hopefully, I’m Interpreting it wrong. But there was no HR on my Nyon during today’s ride after I enabled what the instructions said to do. Let’s see what their rep says.

“For Apple Watch users: train even more efficiently with heart rate data

With immediate effect, you can also transfer the heart rate recorded by the Apple Watch to eBike Connect. “This will add more data to your ride statistics”. This way you can track your fitness goals more efficiently – and achieve them.”

Last edited:

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
@McBike . . . from Bosch c/s response, it still reads like my first comment above in that you still need a chest strap even with this last Nyon update as it will send the HR data over to be included in your ride stats, but still can't display HR on the Nyon's screen while we are riding! Please post back if you find a way to display it.

Screen Shot 2023-06-06 at 10.25.35 AM.png

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
Thanks for your efforts. When I get my bike back together, I'll give it another go. I agree that the statements don't clearly specify the "display" vs "record" thing. I don't really care about recording HR for review later...I want to know what it is while I'm riding. I was hoping to avoid using a chest strap, which I find to be kind of a PITA. The E-bike Connect app does come up automatically on the watch, when the watch is in proximitty, which is cool, and automatically sets the watch into HR mode...also cool.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Thanks for your efforts. When I get my bike back together, I'll give it another go. I agree that the statements don't clearly specify the "display" vs "record" thing. I don't really care about recording HR for review later...I want to know what it is while I'm riding. I was hoping to avoid using a chest strap, which I find to be kind of a PITA. The E-bike Connect app does come up automatically on the watch, when the watch is in proximitty, which is cool, and automatically sets the watch into HR mode...also cool.
BTW I upgraded to the Nyon for it's larger screen size. But it's mapping is still not that clear or easy to read. I upgraded from the Bosch Smart hub that my Trek came with. It uses a smart phone, so the screen was great, but I was not a fan of having to keep my iphone attached to the handlebars all the time. I still needed the Nyon as it also contols the Trek, but I also added on a Garmin 1030 plus. It's screen is a decent size and is much clearer than the Nyon's. It also has better fitness apps. It includes the free Trail Forks app and it's great. This link was from a Google where this developer has an app in the app store that allows your heart rate to display you HR on the Garmin while riding from the Apple watch.

I found the 1030 plus for $399 new on Amazon. This one shown is a renewed one at the same price, new can be found for $399 or less on other sites. Also cheaper used on FB market place.:

Screen Shot 2023-06-06 at 11.21.41 AM.png

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
I'm kind of neutral on the navigation function and wouldn't have paid extra for the Nyon for that function alone, but the dealer offered me Nyon or Kiox at the same price. I've had a couple of Edges over the years and never cared for them at all...I've found the Nyon (in my so far brief exposure) to be much more to my liking relative to a user interface that makes sense. I have always been baffled by Garmin's interface decisions whether it's watches, hand-held navigation, biking, or aviation cockpit instrumentation and navigation. I find their equipment to be non-intuitive, including the two Edges I've had, but I certainly acknowledge that my opinion of Garmin's interface is not widely shared.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I know what you mean. It’s definitely a learning curve along with a few calls contacting their help desk. But the two systems are night and day. Garmin has been in the navigation business for years. I find the Nyon was like a Bosch afterthought to compete with the newer devices larger screens. They come out with devices only to not support them a few years later trying to get you to upgrade. The Nyon never really took off in popularity. Now they are into Bosch’s smart sytem My most recent ebike purchase came with their Purion computer. It’s quite a joke IMO and I’m glad to be able to twist on my Garmin. My other peeve with the Nyon is I paid an extra subscription fee for their Nyon bike lock, but all it does is shut the motor off. It should activate a lock that a thief can’t just roll the ebike away! I’m also an avid boater, I know with electronics I like having the redundancy of having two systems on board. So same for my Ebike. This is why I picked up a second Ebike for when one is down or in for maintenance. Even though I do most maintenance myself.

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
I know what you mean. It’s definitely a learning curve along with a few calls contacting their help desk. But the two systems are night and day. Garmin has been in the navigation business for years. I find the Nyon was like a Bosch afterthought to compete with the newer devices larger screens. They come out with devices only to not support them a few years later trying to get you to upgrade. The Nyon never really took off in popularity. Now they are into Bosch’s smart sytem My most recent ebike purchase came with their Purion computer. It’s quite a joke IMO and I’m glad to be able to twist on my Garmin. My other peeve with the Nyon is I paid an extra subscription fee for their Nyon bike lock, but all it does is shut the motor off. It should activate a lock that a thief can’t just roll the ebike away! I’m also an avid boater, I know with electronics I like having the redundancy of having two systems on board. So same for my Ebike. This is why I picked up a second Ebike for when one is down or in for maintenance. Even though I do most maintenance myself.
My Rail 7 came with a Purion. I view it pretty much only a a means setting the level of assistance. Otherwise not very useful. I upgraded because I wanted a better trip computer.

I've flown many airplanes with Garmin avionics for GPS/navkigation/flight instrumentation. No question that they are the 900-lb gorilla in the avionics world, but again...IMHO overly-complicated and non-intuitive interface. In my own plane I have different brands (Dynon and Avidyne) for the GPS and main navigation displays, which I find to be much easier to use.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Update: I installed that HR app . . . 7 day free trial, then $3.99 annually. That's pricey IMO for what it is. It sends HR from watch to a Garmin Edge. I have the 1030 plus model and it would not connect. Others have had the same connection issue. So I canceled the app subscription and removed it from the phone.

There are work arounds to get it to work because the Garmin seems to only allow one connection at a time. But it's not worth all the effort IMO.

If this developer can design a HR app to allow the watch to show up on the Garmin why can't Bosch do the same? My guess is Bosch is developing (or already has one) their own fitness watch (like Garmin already has) so they set road blocks for other app developers or they don't want to pay a fee to Apple to have the HR be sent from an Apple watch and show up on a Nyon screen.

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
I was trying to get the apple watch pulse thing working, and googling led me the bosch e bike flow app, which can install a widget on the watch, i couldnt try it out, as my iphone is se 1st gen, maybe it might work for you guys.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I was trying to get the apple watch pulse thing working, and googling led me the bosch e bike flow app, which can install a widget on the watch, i couldnt try it out, as my iphone is se 1st gen, maybe it might work for you guys.
Thx for that heads up Swiss, it is only compatible with Bosch’s latest system their smart system. My PF is a 2022 and uses their Ebike connect app. From the app store:
IMG_0601.jpeg

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
My Rail 7 came with a Purion. I view it pretty much only a a means setting the level of assistance. Otherwise not very useful. I upgraded because I wanted a better trip computer.

I've flown many airplanes with Garmin avionics for GPS/navkigation/flight instrumentation. No question that they are the 900-lb gorilla in the avionics world, but again...IMHO overly-complicated and non-intuitive interface. In my own plane I have different brands (Dynon and Avidyne) for the GPS and main navigation displays, which I find to be much easier to use.

I had a Garmin GPSMap 276c and 376c and thought they had the most useable GPS out there for motorcycle road use (too big for a bicycle). Awesome units, pretty easy to use (once you took the time to learn how) and supremely powerful in terms of customization. But these units had their roots in the GPSMap 176 from 2001 and were designed for pilots and mariners primarily. I think Garmin put their smartest software engineers on the development because they were so superior to anything out there, night and day difference. But, even back in those days I couldn't stand the dumbed-down and low-resolution interfaces Garmin put on their more consumer-focused products. If it's going to display a map, it needs a high-resolution display. And you should be able to adjust the level of detail shown at various zoom settings because everyone's use case is a bit different.

I recently bought a Garmin 1040 cycling computer, and I must say the software/UI is pretty awful. What were they thinking? Answer: they weren't. To tell you the truth, I would fire the lead software UI designer for the entire series. At least it doesn't seem too buggy or inconsistent, and the GPS works really well, it's fast and accurate, the battery life is superb, it's just a real pink elephant in terms of customization, adjusting its menus or using it (map zooming and scrolling suck). The touchscreen is not adjusted properly for sensitivity and there is no way to adjust it. And the instruction manual is not properly documented or laid out in a useable manner.

People are not getting any more thoughtful or smarter so I doubt Garmin's new series after the 1040 will not be any better unless Garmin can hire some software designers that know how to make excellent user interfaces.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
And the sad part is Garmin is the leader in these cycling computers. One thing they did well is have their touch screen work with the tip of my finger with my touch screen winter gloves during my rides in Febuary 40 degree rides.

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
Note this thread here:

It details some of the features of Watch OS 10 (when released) that includes improved functionality of distributing bluetooth including heart rate to other devices. I have a chest strap I can use if I have to and it works fine. If the Nyon can get HR info from my Apple Watch Ultra and display it...so much the better. The beta is available now for those that qualify under their developer program. Release date is (maybe) September.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Be honest I jus use my fitbit charge5 to connect to my Nyon via Bluetooth, not an issue
Iphone just seem to have a different protocol when connecting via Bluetooth

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
Be honest I jus use my fitbit charge5 to connect to my Nyon via Bluetooth, not an issue
Iphone just seem to have a different protocol when connecting via Bluetooth
Thanks, realize that there are other bluetooth devices that will connect HR display to the Nyon, but I already have an
Apple watch and I'm not really interested in investing in other devices if there's a likelihood that the Apple Watch will do that job, as early Beta testing of Watch OS 10 seems to suggest. Bringing the watch and iPhone in proximity to a running Nyon does automatically bring up the GPS map from the iPhone, and automatically starts the HR display on the watch, I'm just hoping the new OS will allow the HR to display on the Nyon as well. If not, I'll just have to glance at the watch occasionally, or go back to using my chest strap.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles