Anyone gone from L to XL?

Casper007

Apr 26, 2020
New Zealand
So I’m looking to replace my 2019 Decoy with a new model that comes with a 720wh battery and EP801 motor.

I currently have a large, and being 5’ 11.5” I’m right in between sizes.

I know the sizing topic has been covered a lot but I haven’t found anyone who has moved from a L to an XL. If anyone has done this, what are your thoughts?

As the Decoy geo is ‘older’ to get it closer to my Large Tranistion Spire I am thinking about getting an XL and putting on a 180mm fork and a -1deg angleset. This will slacken the HA to about 63.5deg and keep the BB height about the same. The effective top tube will be fairly long so I can move the saddle forward on the rails which will effectively steepen the SA. The taller seat tube will still let me run a post with the same drop I have now.

The reach still isn’t huge, but if anything the reach on my Spire is slightly long so the the reach on the XL Decoy will be fine.

Has anyone gone through a similar process? How did you find moving to a XL (or from a XL to L for reference)?

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
I feel your struggle, I´ve been thinking back and forth between L and XL plenty of times before I made up my mind.

I´m waiting on my Core 5 size L. I am 5´10 with long legs and short torso.

I initially ordered size XL and was planning on swapping to a 40mm stem on it to reduce the seated reach (toptube+stem), as my upper body is short. But that would only give me +10mm reach+stem over size L. So I figured +10mm reach wasn´t worth the +25mm seat tube. So I canceled the XL order and ordered L.

Size L is really close to my Santa Cruz Hightower geometry, so I decided to play it safe and go for L as I know what I´m getting and it is what YT recommends. I think the dated geometry of the decoy might actually play in my favor with my body proportions.

If I was your height I would have had an easy choice and would have definitively opted for the XL.

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
Cool, thanks for that.

If it changes anything, I have a longer torso/arms and short legs.
In that case even more reason to size up imo. The only issue you might run into is that they increased the dropper to 200mm on the XL.

But the V2 dropper on the new bikes have adjustable drop if it´s too long.

Tikz

May 26, 2021
USA
So I’m looking to replace my 2019 Decoy with a new model that comes with a 720wh battery and EP801 motor.

I currently have a large, and being 5’ 11.5” I’m right in between sizes.

I know the sizing topic has been covered a lot but I haven’t found anyone who has moved from a L to an XL. If anyone has done this, what are your thoughts?

As the Decoy geo is ‘older’ to get it closer to my Large Tranistion Spire I am thinking about getting an XL and putting on a 180mm fork and a -1deg angleset. This will slacken the HA to about 63.5deg and keep the BB height about the same. The effective top tube will be fairly long so I can move the saddle forward on the rails which will effectively steepen the SA. The taller seat tube will still let me run a post with the same drop I have now.

The reach still isn’t huge, but if anything the reach on my Spire is slightly long so the the reach on the XL Decoy will be fine.

Has anyone gone through a similar process? How did you find moving to a XL (or from a XL to L for reference)?
I am the same height as you with about a 31" inseam and went with an XL and it fits perfect for me. I generally ride a large but the large decoy seemed too small for me by measurements.

Sorinok

May 24, 2019
Romania
I am 5' 10'' tall, and from the YT Decoy bike size L, I switched to XL. For me, size L was too small; the bike was very agile on technical trails but not as stable at high speeds. For the XL, I just added another stem from Renthal with a length of 35mm. First image is with L, and the another one is with XL.

20220827_160330.jpg 1701397669035.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles