Why is my Decoy so heavy? (25.8kg, XL)

Brett #174

Jan 9, 2022
Tasmania
Hi all,

My XL 2021 Decoy MX Core 3 weighs 25.8kg. I watched a review last night of a new Canyon Spectral ON in size medium, and it weighed in at only 21.9kg without pedals.

The only weight additions to my bike are an Ohlins coil shock and a Michelin downhill rear tyre. Meanwhile I've lost weight in other areas slightly, with a lighter stem and bars.

I'm really struggling to work out why the Decoy is that much heavier, there's definitely not 4kg hiding in the coil shock (+400g?) and a thicker casing tyre.

To make matters worse, the Canyon comes with 720wH battery so if anything it should be heavier on paper. The only thing that stands out to me might be the 36mm fork on the Canyon compared to the 38mm on the Decoy, and possibly the rear triangle being carbon, but I don't think they account for the 4kg difference.

Has anyone else weighed their XL Decoy?

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
I wouldn't worry too much. I'd have been on an XL Decoy but bought a large Cube stereo 160 and that weighs around 25kg albeit with the 750wh battery. I shouldn't think an extra couple of kg's will feel that much different on that type of bike.

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Sounds heavy indeed, I just occurred to weight mine two days ago for the first time in two years:
Decoy 29 pro XL, stock except marzo bomber cr coil shock, nukeproof horizon wheelset and butcher/eliminator grid trail.
I have weighted it at 23kg

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
You’re comparing apples and oranges , 2 different bike brands and ones a medium and the other a XL ! Wtf

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
22 med canyon probably measures up go a large decoy. Xl , coil, mich dh tire , pedals all add about 400g+.That and a few other parts difference puts you quite close. Michelin dh tires are great, and i think worth it, but theyre heavier than a lot of dh tires Batteries that slide into the downtubes can allow a lighter downtube rather than having go reinforce the downtube for a big void missing along the tube and a battery cover. Maybe the decoy is going to be more durable. I wouldnt be surprised. My 19 decoy has over a million feet of vertical on it. Knock on wood, the frame has been issue free. I changed tge pivots at a million vert but only to be preventitive. They looked fine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles