Levo Gen 2 any idea what this sound could be

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
2019 levo , cassette , chain and chain ring nearly new and no chain guide

sounds terrible even worse under load

someone of facebook said crank bearings gone which means new motor , take it this is warranty job

Choc3

Apr 10, 2020
Scotland
Had same grinding sound on my Levo 2020 and then the motor died Search post below

LEVO LEVO 2020 MOTOR GRINDING NOISE

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
Not changed chain ring or jockey wheels recently , will have a look tomorrow , sounds terminal to me , got bike from rutland bloody 100 miles from nearest store , they OK to deal with.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It sounds too frequent to be the motor.

I'm with @lumpy on either the chain has slipped on the jockey wheels or something similar. I had the same sound from a worn chainring, but you say you've changed that recently. Saying that, mine was a cheap ally one to get me 36t and it only lasted a couple of hundred k's.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
Chainring is a burgtec 32t done about 500 miles on it , doesn't look worn , still have original praxis , could swap back and see if it still does it. Is there anyway to rule out motor other than taking it apart.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Chainring is a burgtec 32t done about 500 miles on it , doesn't look worn , still have original praxis , could swap back and see if it still does it. Is there anyway to rule out motor other than taking it apart.
Turn the motor off and see if it still does it? Would rule out some (not all) of it.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
Could take the chain off and pedal the cranks with motor on maybe?
Gonna try that , chainring looks ok to me

20201128_114605.jpg

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
Looks like chain suck as chain coming off chainring at 6 o clock , burgtec crap only done 500 miles , gonna put praxis one back on , had to simulate load by holding back brake on whilst in work stand.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would have thought a worn bearing would squeal rather than knock. It's strange your noise appears to have an equal timing of 4 knocks.
I would start by putting the bike on a stand and rotating the cranks with the motor off to see if the sound is still there. If so, you may be able to determine if the sound comes from the chainwheel area or the cassette area. Try also rotating the cranks with the chain removed.
Your motor sounds like it is working harder than your ride suggests it should be. That suggests some resistance to the free movement of the cranks which could be either within the motor or on the drive train so that in itself is no guide to the health of the motor.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
It does sound more than chainsuck. Sounds like the transmission is fouling a motor cover or a stone has got in somewhere that it shouldn't have. Motor does sound loud though, but that might just be the recording.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I reckon that chainwheel is so worn that the noise with a beat of 4 is the chain hitting the 4 arms of the spider. Below is what your chainring should look like!!

Screenshot_20201128-130428_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: EME

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
original praxis back on and its ok now, 500 miles on that burgtec is ridiculous , are hope any better or is it better sticking to a steel one, fancy going for a 34t

Reactions: EME

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
original praxis back on and its ok now, 500 miles on that burgtec is ridiculous , are hope any better or is it better sticking to a steel one, fancy going for a 34t
Lots of people have had good success with the aluminium ones. I didn't though. Not sure if it's down to where you ride or what factors. I went with the praxis 36t steel e-ring, wasn't worth the time messing around with another aluminium one for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles