Any experience with Moterra SL out there?

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
Interested in actual experience rather than practical thoughts :) Specs are VERY impressive, but I'm wondering how much the weight still keeps the "bike-like" feel or is it just a lighter full-power? Coming off a Kenevo SL which is lightweight and aggressive, but very little range (less concerned about lack of power). Trying to decide on my next SL emtb. Thanks!

David Dobson

Nov 9, 2019
Ireland
Interested in actual experience rather than practical thoughts :) Specs are VERY impressive, but I'm wondering how much the weight still keeps the "bike-like" feel or is it just a lighter full-power? Coming off a Kenevo SL which is lightweight and aggressive, but very little range (less concerned about lack of power). Trying to decide on my next SL emtb. Thanks!
I rode one today for an hour and a half in The Golfie courtesy of Matthew and Neil in Tweed Valley bikes. It had been demo-ed in the morning and wasnt fully charged. I spent 3 hours on the mullet heckler (not the SL) in the morning and was impressed.... i was absolutely blown away by the Montera SL after lunch. The 62° head angle was noticable in a visual way only and not at all while climbing to the top of the trails but what a weapon going down. It popped over roots and railed turns in a soaking wet Golfie like no ebike has a right to. I descended "repeat offender" faster and safer in.the wet than i did on my Bronson in the dry a month ago. My nemesis would be steep drops that need popping but the Montera was confidence inspiring on everything and handled the roots really well.
This is my experience and opinion on it. Do with it what you will 🤣

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
I rode one today for an hour and a half in The Golfie courtesy of Matthew and Neil in Tweed Valley bikes. It had been demo-ed in the morning and wasnt fully charged. I spent 3 hours on the mullet heckler (not the SL) in the morning and was impressed.... i was absolutely blown away by the Montera SL after lunch. The 62° head angle was noticable in a visual way only and not at all while climbing to the top of the trails but what a weapon going down. It popped over roots and railed turns in a soaking wet Golfie like no ebike has a right to. I descended "repeat offender" faster and safer in.the wet than i did on my Bronson in the dry a month ago. My nemesis would be steep drops that need popping but the Montera was confidence inspiring on everything and handled the roots really well.
This is my experience and opinion on it. Do with it what you will 🤣
Thanks!! Demoing this Wednesday. More confidence than the Bronson - that's saying a lot!

Boxmonkey

May 30, 2024
USA
I have a little over 90 miles on my SL2, and I agree that it is a super confidence inspiring bike. I just felt immediately comfortable on the bike. The lower weight is definitely noticeable over my Rail 7. I have put mine in full 29 mode and ordered a set of shorter cranks. Enjoy your demo.

Mack-tigre

Aug 15, 2020
ES
Did you ride it in 62.5 degrees ha or changed it to 63.1 or 63.7?

I really like the bike, but didnt see the point to ride a 62.5 degrees head angle... right now my bike has 65 and I can go downhill crazy steep things.

What are your opinions on this?

Thank you in advance

Boxmonkey

May 30, 2024
USA
I was told the demo bike I rode was in the steep position. I put 100 miles on mine in the slack position, and only have about 8 miles on the steep 63.7. For my riding this setting with the 29 rear wheel and 160mm cranks is pretty nice. Less wandering on switchbacks, but a little less quick to drop into corners. I feel very balanced front/rear on the bike while standing, so I didn't notice any front wheel vagueness at 62.5. I hope this helps a little, and the bike is definitely worth a test ride if it's on your short list.

David Dobson

Nov 9, 2019
Ireland

I really like the bike, but didnt see the point to ride a 62.5 degrees head angle... right now my bike has 65 and I can go downhill crazy steep things.

Thank you in advance
I would suggest forgetting about the numbers and angles and just ride it for what it is... the bottom line is how it rides and not what the angles on the spec-sheet says. I cant imagine how anyone can predict how a bike is going to handle/feel based on one figure of head angle. Its a combination of all the numbers which make this bike so fun 😉 Phone around and find yourself a bike to demo and id be very surprised if you didnt fall in love 🙂

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
A couple of days ago I received a Email from REI announcing the new Monterra SL. I checked their site and sure enough it was listed. Then I checked their site yesterday and the SL was gone. WTF, I also checked a local dealer and they had no idea when the SL would be available? Crazy, the bike's was introduced in Feb and still no inventory? Any guesses what's going on?

Boxmonkey

May 30, 2024
USA
I would say REI is just out of stock, as they had the Fazua powered Salsa ebike earlier in the year online also. Two of the local dealers here in Knoxville both have SLs in stock, and one is having a demo for them next Saturday.

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
Well, there aren’t any at dealers in Reno or Sacramento and jensens has a coupe of medium SL 2 only. If you hit the demo maybe ask about availability. Ps, what’s you trim level?

Boxmonkey

May 30, 2024
USA
I have the SL2 spec with a few changes. I swapped to XT rotors, semi metallic pads, 160mm cranks, full 29 with Noble carbon rims, and Continental Kryptotal tires.

Boxmonkey

May 30, 2024
USA
My local shops may have placed a large initial order, as they have stock in store and in their warehouse. Color seems to have an effect on availability locally. The shops only have the SL1 in Raw (s/m/l), and the SL2 in Tiger Shark (s/m/l/xl) & Candy Red (s/xl).

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I’m going to pick up a Cannondale Moterra SL1 today from REI.
Unfortunately, 3 months ago I broke my back in a wicked ski accident so my posts will be from other people’s experiences.
IMG_1484.jpeg

Last edited:

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
Nice bike. Hope you heal well. I’d love to hear how it rides when you are back on the pedals. What size did you get and how much does it weigh?
It’s a large, I’m 6’ but I can’t even sit on it. It sure looks awesome and the deal that I got from REI was really good.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Anyone else out there with some time on the Monterra SL? Very interested in the bike. The main things that have me turned off right now is the slack head angle and the long chainstay.

Ender

Jul 2, 2024
Minneapolis, MN
Anyone else out there with some time on the Monterra SL? Very interested in the bike. The main things that have me turned off right now is the slack head angle and the long chainstay.
Ho there!

Yes, I purchased the Cannondale Moterro SL 2 a couple weeks ago and have been having a great time. This is my 3rd ebike, my other two being a lightweight city bike (Velotric ST 1) and sort of an SUV mountain bike for trail/gravel riding (Magnum Peak T7.)

After trying some singletrack on those other two in the past year, I knew I enjoyed the singletrack rides, but they'd be a lot more comfortable with better suspension and uphill power. This is my first foray into full suspension, and first time using a mid-drive. But if figured I were going to go this far, then I wanted it relatively light, powerful, and well equipped, and the SL 2 seemed to be a sweet spot.

Anyhow, took it on its maiden voyage to a couple good MTB parks in northern Minnesota (Tioga and Redhead.) Both of these were a ton of fun for me and the bike had plenty of power for all of the climbs I attempted. The slackness putting that front wheel a little further out front does handle differently than my other bikes, especially making tight switchbacks trickier (slower for me.) Since I'm new to singletrack riding, I assume some of the trickiness is me learning those tight turns.

Tioga by Ender4733, on Flickr

Redhead by Ender4733, on Flickr

I brought it back to the shop this week for a couple of tweaks that I think will help: Shortening the handlebars a bit, checking the indexing on the derailleur, and changing the head angle to the steepest. I think with these set I should be fine getting used to it.

Hopefully I'll be back riding it on some more tracks this weekend. I know I need experience. I just hope I don't break my neck first.

Boxmonkey

May 30, 2024
USA
448mm on my 22 Rail 7 and 453mm on SL2. I can tell zero difference on the flat or switchbacks, both would be considered long, I guess.
As with any slack head angle bike, if you have proper weight on the front wheel it is a non issue. However get lazy in a flat turn and it will push the front.
The bikes really are versatile trail machines. Give one a spin if you can locate a demo bike.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I’d love to take one for a spin, but there are none in the Phoenix area. It may be a patience game on this. I found someone out of state that’ll sell a brand new SL2 for $5,999 and ship for another $50. Pretty smoking deal. I’d be swapping all my high end components off of my Trek Fuel EXe.

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
Ho there!

Yes, I purchased the Cannondale Moterro SL 2 a couple weeks ago and have been having a great time. This is my 3rd ebike, my other two being a lightweight city bike (Velotric ST 1) and sort of an SUV mountain bike for trail/gravel riding (Magnum Peak T7.)

After trying some singletrack on those other two in the past year, I knew I enjoyed the singletrack rides, but they'd be a lot more comfortable with better suspension and uphill power. This is my first foray into full suspension, and first time using a mid-drive. But if figured I were going to go this far, then I wanted it relatively light, powerful, and well equipped, and the SL 2 seemed to be a sweet spot.

Anyhow, took it on its maiden voyage to a couple good MTB parks in northern Minnesota (Tioga and Redhead.) Both of these were a ton of fun for me and the bike had plenty of power for all of the climbs I attempted. The slackness putting that front wheel a little further out front does handle differently than my other bikes, especially making tight switchbacks trickier (slower for me.) Since I'm new to singletrack riding, I assume some of the trickiness is me learning those tight turns.

Tioga by Ender4733, on Flickr

Redhead by Ender4733, on Flickr

I brought it back to the shop this week for a couple of tweaks that I think will help: Shortening the handlebars a bit, checking the indexing on the derailleur, and changing the head angle to the steepest. I think with these set I should be fine getting used to it.

Hopefully I'll be back riding it on some more tracks this weekend. I know I need experience. I just hope I don't break my neck first.
Nice! Enjoy the bike, and welcome to the singletrack world :) I demoed that bike and the tight switchback challenges aren't just due to your experience - they are challenging on this particular bike due to its unique geometry, which has merits in other areas

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
I took the Cannondale Moterra SL for a two day demo a week ago, here are my impressions:
I can definitely see how people would like this bike, but it didn't fit my style of riding. I think if you're riding more open trails and fast singletrack the bike would be great, and it is a full power so no problem keeping up with other full e-MTBs. Also I found some drawbacks that are related to the motor, not the bike, so until Shimano fixes them there's nothing the bike vendors can do (e.g. motor rattle).

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
I took the Cannondale Moterra SL for a two day demo a week ago, here are my impressions:
I can definitely see how people would like this bike, but it didn't fit my style of riding. I think if you're riding more open trails and fast singletrack the bike would be great, and it is a full power so no problem keeping up with other full e-MTBs. Also I found some drawbacks that are related to the motor, not the bike, so until Shimano fixes them there's nothing the bike vendors can do (e.g. motor rattle).
Why did you bother when you had such a downer on it before even riding?

Drewf

May 21, 2020
USA
It’s a large, I’m 6’ but I can’t even sit on it. It sure looks awesome and the deal that I got from REI was really good.
The bike is back in stock at REI.....please tell us about this good deal you got from REI...is there a coupon or something? :)

David Dobson

Nov 9, 2019
Ireland
Why did you bother when you had such a downer on it before even riding?
I agree there too Tim. There were definately some pre-concieved notions going on before it left the shop. I agree on the brakes tho. The one i rode had the UK spec (i think) with Magura MT5's and the effort needed to pull them lended itself to hand fatigue but a simple fix really. My experience of the handling in the tight was a lot more positive and i struggle to see how the reviewer could diss the performance suspension so much. He commented how he could negotiate that tricky switchback area better on his 'tallboy". If the tallboy was his benchmark for handling its easy to see how he struggled on the Moterra.
Just my (and mine only) humble opinion. 😊

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
I agree there too Tim. There were definately some pre-concieved notions going on before it left the shop. I agree on the brakes tho. The one i rode had the UK spec (i think) with Magura MT5's and the effort needed to pull them lended itself to hand fatigue but a simple fix really. My experience of the handling in the tight was a lot more positive and i struggle to see how the reviewer could diss the performance suspension so much. He commented how he could negotiate that tricky switchback area better on his 'tallboy". If the tallboy was his benchmark for handling its easy to see how he struggled on the Moterra.
Maybe the tyres were the wrong colour 🤣

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
Haha maybe I've offended some existing owners... But yeah, if you can't tell the difference between Fox "performance" and "Performance Elite" after a few minutes of riding then I guess any spec would do. And WRT Tallboy - I win Enduro races with that rig. But then, I forget how diverse the E-MTB community is, and many folks just care about the motor and battery and everything else would be the same for them. To each their own.

May 2, 2023
United Kingdom

Thank you in advance
How do you put it in 63.1? Is that actually a thing? The manual only shows 2 configurations, slack and steep. Each cup only has one notch as well, I just swapped mine from steep to slack. It's so easy to change!

The front end felt a bit short for me in the steep setting (6ft, 6ft 1 armspan, size L). It feels really nice shape and size in slack setting, feels better tbh like it's designed to be in slack mode (which it seems to have been!), but the steering gets quite slow, probably going to swap to a 32mm stem and maybe shorten my bars a little to speed it back up a bit.

On paper, I thought I'd prefer steep mode, but the bike actually feels a much better shape and fit in slack mode for me.

maasy

Apr 9, 2024
Australia
You win "enduro" race's on an 120mm xc bike ? sure you do... but for the spec and price i think its pretty good value, review the top model for you want the fancy factory suspension, for the average joe this would be just fine if not a great bike, and review it as an e-bike comparing it against other e-bikes not your analog bike... thanks for the video

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles