Annoying Rattle

GEE ARR

Oct 29, 2018
MIDLANDS
Has anyone had this annoying rattle on their 2019 Levo. I can only really hear it travelling over the rough stuff. Any help advice greatly appreciated.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
It seems your chainring got loose.
Take off the crank (allen key) and thight the sproket lockring with special tool:
Radon Abzieher für Bosch und Brose E-Bike Lockring-/Verschlussring kaufen | Bike-Discount

A3B830DA-32A5-474B-84EA-6516D59108A3.jpeg

Last edited:

GEE ARR

Oct 29, 2018
MIDLANDS

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
No, the lockring keeps the chainring tight only. No other function.
(The video doesn‘t work - for me at leadt...)

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
I’ve got a annoying rattle to driving me mad.was thinking it might be something to do with the drive will look at chainring later convinced it was coming from the front end but ruled that out I spend more time messing about fixing thing on it than riding it

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I’ve got a annoying rattle to driving me mad.was thinking it might be something to do with the drive will look at chainring later convinced it was coming from the front end but ruled that out I spend more time messing about fixing thing on it than riding it

Let me know if you discover anything, as I'm also getting a creaking sound coming from the front end when riding in rough/bumpy terrain. I couldn't reproduce this until I experimented with the motor off vs on and noticed it only occurs when the motor is on. It seems this noise only occurs when the chain is under tension which could mean the noise is coming from somewhere in the drivetrain. I.e. cassette, chainring, or even in the motor.

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
Spent 3hr tonight trying to sort it out pulling things off putting things back on no luck I’ve just put a new coil Shox on so I hope it not that the last Shox started knocking but it’s a rattle that i’m Getting now just can’t figure out where it’s coming from.

freddok

Jan 9, 2019
Villard de Lans, France
Let me know if you discover anything, as I'm also getting a creaking sound coming from the front end when riding in rough/bumpy terrain. I couldn't reproduce this until I experimented with the motor off vs on and noticed it only occurs when the motor is on. It seems this noise only occurs when the chain is under tension which could mean the noise is coming from somewhere in the drivetrain. I.e. cassette, chainring, or even in the motor.

I've the same creaky noise sometimes often under hard load on the pedals (generally in eco mode). I noticed the same problem yesterday but in a short period on turbo mode and without really hard load on pedals.... For me I think this sound comes from front drivetrain, motor or crankset...

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
Been out 3hr this morning rattle rattle rattle can’t find out where its coming from taking it back to shop today

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
I’ve had my Levo for a few weeks now, there was an annoying rattle coming from the front end whenever I went over the smallest of bumps (very obvious when on the road cycling to work, If I hit a drain cover or small deviations in the tarmac)
Turned out my “front brake pad holder springy thingy” (I’m a noob!) has a bit of play, I could wobble the thingy to reproduce the same sound I was hearing on the road...I put an elastic band under the bottom of the spring then just secured it round the sides of the calliper to give it a bit of tension...just enough to stop it rattling...works...no more rattling!

Also...my LBS (Specialized concept store) removed the plastic spacers from the front hub back when I was trying to source my rattle! Said they don’t need to be on! (I’ve kept them just in case though) I trust them on that one!

Last edited:

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Have you checked to make sure there is not a small stone that has found its way in through the drainage hole at the underside of the motor? I had a few small stones in mine.

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
Checked that shops got it now had to take bike back for some work on the shock so I told them about the rattle the bike is 3 months old 650 miles and a total of 3 weeks in the shop not good

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I've the same creaky noise sometimes often under hard load on the pedals (generally in eco mode). I noticed the same problem yesterday but in a short period on turbo mode and without really hard load on pedals.... For me I think this sound comes from front drivetrain, motor or crankset...
I've been able to isolate my sources of creaks to the following: headset (I have the swat tool type), battery, and seatpost clamp. Cleaning and removing all dirt particles seems to have fixed my problem. What I thought was the motor/drivetrain creak was likely the battery rubbing against the downtube when putting load on the drivetrain possibly because of movement of the frame against the battery. My Levo is silent again - phew!

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
I've been able to isolate my sources of creaks to the following: headset (I have the swat tool type), battery, and seatpost clamp. Cleaning and removing all dirt particles seems to have fixed my problem. What I thought was the motor/drivetrain creak was likely the battery rubbing against the downtube when putting load on the drivetrain possibly because of movement of the frame against the battery. My Levo is silent again - phew!
Same here I added some frame protection between motor plastic and frame which has stopped it recurring.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles