An E-160s v1 - should i do it!?

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Hey Team Whyte,

I’m new to EMTB...so new I’ve not even ridden one. Anyone doing demos? Seems unlikely, but thought I’d ask.

I’m keen to buy an E-160S (as my budget won’t stretch to the RS) and I can do with a couple of bits of info.

There are loads of reviews on the RS, but how similar is the ride on the S? Anyone ridden them back to back? I’m assuming the RS will be better/different, but by how much?

I’m phoning around trying to find a bike in and around Surrey. Ace bikes seemed they a great shop, but sold out. Anyone aware of an S available anywhere?

If I find a 180S will I be over bikes for Surrey trails?

Cheers

Navajo

Jan 25, 2021
Portsmouth, UK
Hey Team Whyte,

I’m new to EMTB...so new I’ve not even ridden one. Anyone doing demos? Seems unlikely, but thought I’d ask.

I’m keen to buy an E-160S (as my budget won’t stretch to the RS) and I can do with a couple of bits of info.

There are loads of reviews on the RS, but how similar is the ride on the S? Anyone ridden them back to back? I’m assuming the RS will be better/different, but by how much?

I’m phoning around trying to find a bike in and around Surrey. Ace bikes seemed they a great shop, but sold out. Anyone aware of an S available anywhere?

If I find a 180S will I be over bikes for Surrey trails?

Cheers
Good luck with the search, great bike. Have you tried Hoopsvelo.com. They sell Whyte and have some new stock.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
If you find an S in your size and that’s what budget you have just grab it ASP. You won’t be disappointed and even if you don’t like it ( which you won’t) you will have no problem moving it on. (y)

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
The RS is Fox rather than RS suspension, and a bump up a level for most of the SRAM kit. I went with the S and its ace.

Unfortunately, you may find you're in the same situation I was in last year. Spent ages looking for stock, ended up putting my name down for a new one and waiting ?? Plus the benefits of buying from a good local shop (like Ace) comes into it too.

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
The RS is Fox rather than RS suspension, and a bump up a level for most of the SRAM kit. I went with the S and its ace.

Unfortunately, you may find you're in the same situation I was in last year. Spent ages looking for stock, ended up putting my name down for a new one and waiting ?? Plus the benefits of buying from a good local shop (like Ace) comes into it too.

Thanks Jamze

Phoned around this morning and its the same story. No stock. Likely to start getting new allocations in July/Aug, which means sticking to my analogue bike for a few months longer.

I've got my name down in a couple of places, but will likely phone up Ace periodically as they have been super helpful with info.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales

bought mine back in Sept. Zero regrets. shock slightly weak point but I think same is true for the RS.

Ace also have a sister shop in MOnmouth and link to Pedal a Bike Away in the Forest of Dean. They rent out the E160 RS which is worth testing for size in any case.

I am happy with my decision to stick the the 'S' spec.

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
I have a Whyte e180s, bought from ace Monmouth. They are great bikes. The lower models are exactly the same geo You won’t be able to tell the difference. It’s all replaceable anyway

kenevo Nige

Jul 28, 2019
Clitheroe
I have a 2021 180s and I believe the spec is all you ever need , rockshox are easily upgraded if you find yourself needing low and high speed damping. Fox suspension is the bling setup of choice but unless you are expert rider you will never need the lower friction provided by kashima or notice the difference once you install the rockshox 2.1 damper (when ready) . The bikes all ride excellent whichever you choose so just go for the one you think best suits your budget ?

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
I have a 2021 180s and I believe the spec is all you ever need , rockshox are easily upgraded if you find yourself needing low and high speed damping. Fox suspension is the bling setup of choice but unless you are expert rider you will never need the lower friction provided by kashima or notice the difference once you install the rockshox 2.1 damper (when ready) . The bikes all ride excellent whichever you choose so just go for the one you think best suits your budget ?

While I’m new to EMTB, my view is clouded by my Enduro racing (Moto) and a great deal of suspension focus. I’m going to stick to the S though as looking at upgrades there are good options (that’s for the pointer).

Out of curiosity, do you use you 180 for mostly gravity riding or a blend of trail and enduro?

kenevo Nige

Jul 28, 2019
Clitheroe
While I’m new to EMTB, my view is clouded by my Enduro racing (Moto) and a great deal of suspension focus. I’m going to stick to the S though as looking at upgrades there are good options (that’s for the pointer).

Out of curiosity, do you use you 180 for mostly gravity riding or a blend of trail and enduro?
Good choice , I originally ordered the 160s but feature creep'd towards the 180s just purely because I ride a lot of off piste which has a tendency to catch you out (hidden potholes ,deep rutts etc) so thought the extra travel wouldn't do any harm . As far as long rides I haven't found the long travel bad for pedal bob , I think the anti squat and geometry are really good . I do believe the 160s would have been more than enough and that orange colour is kick ass ? , I think for you the choice is going to come down to availability so go for the 1 in stock , there's only £300 difference I think .

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Good choice , I originally ordered the 160s but feature creep'd towards the 180s just purely because I ride a lot of off piste which has a tendency to catch you out (hidden potholes ,deep rutts etc) so thought the extra travel wouldn't do any harm . As far as long rides I haven't found the long travel bad for pedal bob , I think the anti squat and geometry are really good . I do believe the 160s would have been more than enough and that orange colour is kick ass ? , I think for you the choice is going to come down to availability so go for the 1 in stock , there's only £300 difference I think .

Thanks! I’m thinking if I can’t find a 160, I might ask if they have a 180. I doubt I’ll need the extra travel for the trail around here.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Thanks! I’m thinking if I can’t find a 160, I might ask if they have a 180. I doubt I’ll need the extra travel for the trail around here.
Well you don't pay an energy penalty for carrying the extra travel back up the hill. I mostly ride Forest of Dean which is similar to Surrey Hills and 160 is fine - even a bit over-biked. On the S spec I have to say the basic Zeb fork has been brilliant. I just added one token. The drivetrain has been completely untroubled and you do often hear of the RS spec guys doing a down-grade when they the first set wears out. I have had zero problems with the bike and from what you read that is true of other users of both S and RS.

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Well you don't pay an energy penalty for carrying the extra travel back up the hill. I mostly ride Forest of Dean which is similar to Surrey Hills and 160 is fine - even a bit over-biked. On the S spec I have to say the basic Zeb fork has been brilliant. I just added one token. The drivetrain has been completely untroubled and you do often hear of the RS spec guys doing a down-grade when they the first set wears out. I have had zero problems with the bike and from what you read that is true of other users of both S and RS.

Great to hear! I now just need to find one. It looks like I'm going to have to wait until Jul/Aug at this rate for the next years models.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
My only issue with Rock Shox (and I've ridden them for years) is damper unreliability. All mine start leaking, although on the flip side it's usually within warranty so I get them sorted for free.

The damper in the Zeb on the 160s started leaking this week. Lasted 6 months (with not much riding over winter.) Now have a pogo stick on the front of the bike until I get it sorted ?

Last edited:

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Great to hear! I now just need to find one. It looks like I'm going to have to wait until Jul/Aug at this rate for the next years models.

It's probably gone now, but Ace had a 180 V1 in a couple of weeks ago. They were keen to sell it, so had done quite a decent discount.

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
It's probably gone now, but Ace had a 180 V1 in a couple of weeks ago. They were keen to sell it, so had done quite a decent discount.

Thanks for the heads up. Was the Ace in Monmouth or Guildford? I tried Guildford and they only had 150's left and in large. I'm looking for a medium.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Thanks for the heads up. Was the Ace in Monmouth or Guildford? I tried Guildford and they only had 150's left and in large. I'm looking for a medium.

Guildford. At the price they were doing it for, I didn’t think it would be there for long!

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Well folks, it looks like I've hit a dead end trying to find a E-160s (or E-180s). I've put my name down for a 2022 model and hopefully I'll get my hands on one of those in June-Aug. I'm actually going to have to pedal unassisted for awhile longer...

Tone

Sep 16, 2019
Essex, Maldon
Well folks, it looks like I've hit a dead end trying to find a E-160s (or E-180s). I've put my name down for a 2022 model and hopefully I'll get my hands on one of those in June-Aug. I'm actually going to have to pedal unassisted for awhile longer...
Hi, Sind I’m in the same situation, where did you end up pre ordering from.

thanks Tony

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Hi, Sind I’m in the same situation, where did you end up pre ordering from.

thanks Tony
Hi Tony, I've left my name with Ace Guildford as they are the closest LBS that stocks Whyte. I'll be calling them every so often until they can allocate a bike.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
It’ll be well worth the wait.......I love my 2020 E150-RS......never fails to put a big smile on my face when out and about. It’s an incredible bike ?

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
It’ll be well worth the wait.......I love my 2020 E150-RS......never fails to put a big smile on my face when out and about. It’s an incredible bike ?
Great to hear! My worry is I find a different brand sooner and then regret not waiting. I'm impatient.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles