Alloy vs Carbon rims for eMTB

Cat Guy

Subscriber
Oct 18, 2023
Bay area, CA
Hello...Do you prefer AIum. or Carbon rims for eMTB? Are carbon rims worth the extra $$$? What's your justification?

I searched and found Alum rims are easily dent and some people prefer them because they are more flexible. Carbon, on the other hand, are stiffer and stay true for much longer.

My background in road riding doesn't provide me with an insight when it comes to eMTB (Carbon all the way for road). I'm close to buying an eMTB. This will be my first MTB and first e as well. I plan to start out easy by riding eMTB on local fire roads and smoother trails first before progressing to more rocky trails.

I searched this forum too and was surprised I didn't find an existing discussion on this topic.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Alloy would be standard in the first instance. If you want to drop weight then a carbon wheelset with a light hub and spoke build will save you 300 to 600 gram.

You can make an argument that there is little point trying to reduce weight on a heavy thing to begin with.

Lastly if you ate a rim smashing kind of guy, go alloy. Being a Roady I doubt you will be a rim smasher.
But also as this is your first mtb and emtb. I doubt you would be able to yell the difference at this stage of experience.

Ps I run carbon rims on my ebike a d mtb.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
You can make an argument that there is little point trying to reduce weight on a heavy thing to begin with.

Depends in where you are trying to save weight. Firstly, wheels are unsprung weight, and secondly lighter rims have lower centrifugal force, so lighter wheels can be worth having. But only up to the point where you start bending or breaking them, that is. ;)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
A few years ago I was at the crossroads of choosing a rim type when I purchased new hubs. So many things to consider.
I eventually chose an alloy RaceFace offset 35mm with a CushCore Plus and 2.6 Maxxis Assigia. This combination made sense for the type of riding I was likely to do on a regular/daily basis. This wasn’t expensive but it wasn’t cheap either.

If I was closer to home, and rode faster non-technicaltrails, I probably would have installed carbon rims. I guess the pros and cons for alloy or carbon depends on the type of riding you mostly do. I’ve had rocks fling off the tires and into me and my bike. An alloy vs carbon rim could likely deal with a rock impact differently. 🤷‍♂️

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Why do you need carbon rims? Because they are expensive? Flashy? Light? Stiff?

Maybe he doesn't want to be constantly checking his spoke tension.....lol

I run alloy rims on my DH bike are carbon WeAreOne's on my ebike. Rode the carbon's for a full year and never once had a spoke come loose, completely different story on my DH bike.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Berd spokes, carbon rims. 🤯
IMG_6423.jpeg
$$$$

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
I started out with aluminum rims, then found out I could use an old carbon rear wheel (NOX AM 275 on King hub, Sapim CXray spokes) with an adapter (142mm to 148 boost). Night and day difference for me on the rear wheel. It’s stiffer, doesn’t squirm around, tracks better and can schralp berms better. My front is still the stock aluminum, it feels good. I’ll probably change it to a Carbon rim one day.

the rear wheel made a big difference for me where I ride. The bike is a gen 3 Levo expert.

Cat Guy

Subscriber
Oct 18, 2023
Bay area, CA
Alloy would be standard in the first instance. If you want to drop weight then a carbon wheelset with a light hub and spoke build will save you 300 to 600 gram.

Lastly if you ate a rim smashing kind of guy, go alloy. Being a Roady I doubt you will be a rim smasher.
But also as this is your first mtb and emtb. I doubt you would be able to yell the difference at this stage of experience.

Ps I run carbon rims on my ebike a d mtb.
You're right. At this stage for me, better to go cheap and see how it goes. I'm certainly not a rim smashing kinda guy, not yet anyway. It has become 2nd nature to me to avoid hitting rocks, sand, manholes, unevenness on the surface with my road bike :)

Cat Guy

Subscriber
Oct 18, 2023
Bay area, CA
Why do you need carbon rims? Because they are expensive? Flashy? Light? Stiff?
I've been riding my road bikes on carbon for a long time. Switching over from Alum on road is night and day in terms of ride feel and comfort, and yes, weight. Not sure what I need for MTB but I think I'll start by paying less and see how it goes.

Cat Guy

Subscriber
Oct 18, 2023
Bay area, CA
A few years ago I was at the crossroads of choosing a rim type when I purchased new hubs. So many things to consider.
I eventually chose an alloy RaceFace offset 35mm with a CushCore Plus and 2.6 Maxxis Assigia. This combination made sense for the type of riding I was likely to do on a regular/daily basis. This wasn’t expensive but it wasn’t cheap either.

If I was closer to home, and rode faster non-technicaltrails, I probably would have installed carbon rims. I guess the pros and cons for alloy or carbon depends on the type of riding you mostly do. I’ve had rocks fling off the tires and into me and my bike. An alloy vs carbon rim could likely deal with a rock impact differently. 🤷‍♂️
Yup, there're so many things to consider just on the wheel set. I'm going to start small with Alum rims.

Cat Guy

Subscriber
Oct 18, 2023
Bay area, CA
Maybe he doesn't want to be constantly checking his spoke tension.....lol

I run alloy rims on my DH bike are carbon WeAreOne's on my ebike. Rode the carbon's for a full year and never once had a spoke come loose, completely different story on my DH bike.
Heard that about carbon spokes staying true vs Alum. Good to hear your confirmation.

Cat Guy

Subscriber
Oct 18, 2023
Bay area, CA
I started out with aluminum rims, then found out I could use an old carbon rear wheel (NOX AM 275 on King hub, Sapim CXray spokes) with an adapter (142mm to 148 boost). Night and day difference for me on the rear wheel. It’s stiffer, doesn’t squirm around, tracks better and can schralp berms better. My front is still the stock aluminum, it feels good. I’ll probably change it to a Carbon rim one day.

the rear wheel made a big difference for me where I ride. The bike is a gen 3 Levo expert.
Wow. I haven't thought of a "material mullet". That is something to think about and definitely the change can be done one at a time if curious.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
another thing is stiffness, I know few fast riders which started to crash after switching to carbon wheels - stiffer wheel, less compliant.
At the end they still run carbon wheels, but I don't know if they changd rims (different model/manufacturer - different behaviour) or/and they adjusted their style a bit as well.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
I've been riding my road bikes on carbon for a long time. Switching over from Alum on road is night and day in terms of ride feel and comfort, and yes, weight. Not sure what I need for MTB but I think I'll start by paying less and see how it goes.
I have carbon wheels on my road bike as well (~1300g? Roval CLX 32), but I don't hit rockgardens with them :)

Maybe MTB carbon wheels improved, I don't know, but the last 10 years (or first 10 years? :) ) and there was a lot of failures and tests which were concluding that for aggressive riding they are still too risky.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I build wheels, i repair wheels and have been riding Caron wheels for over 10 years.
In that time I have seen failiures of all types of wheels but most recently with alloy rims is them denting, bending and spokes pulling through the holes. I assume that the strains of ebikes are harder on alloy rims than carbon, or carbon are stronger to deal with their stresses.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have carbon wheels on my road bike as well (~1300g? Roval CLX 32), but I don't hit rockgardens with them :)

Maybe MTB carbon wheels improved, I don't know, but the last 10 years (or first 10 years? :) ) and there was a lot of failures and tests which were concluding that for aggressive riding they are still too risky.
There are loads of different grades of carbon, specifically designed for different purposes.

I’ve just bought some Industry Nine EN 325 rims - which are designed for Enduro / Aggressive riding. A perfect pairing for my Levo SL.
i9 do a GR series which is designed for downhill and e-bikes. There’s also some super light trail rims. They have a whole selection of MTB rims in carbon designed for different purposes.

That’s one manufacturer. If you went through all the wheel manufacturers, there will be lots of carbon rims specifically designed for e-bike use and different disciplines. They’ll be more expensive than their alloy counterparts, and probably a good bit lighter.

The choice is yours. If you have extra cash that you’re willing to spend, I’d go with carbon wheels that are suitable for your application. They’ll last years without adjustment, and generally come with a lifetime warranty. If your conscious of the cost, then get alloy

Loppy Lou

Mar 22, 2022
Bristol
I have Mavic carbon rims on my Hiabike Xduro 10 downhill bike, they were fitted with tubless, but I struck a rock on a knarly decent and it caused a leak through the carbon which I couldnt fix so had to fit a tube. On the aluminim rims on my other bike they just take a bit of a dent but the wheels keep going so I would put to you. If your doing a lot of uphill fell typoe riding and want to save weight, and day long trails then its probably worth it, however if you ride for around 11/2 to 2 hours like I do on knarly trails with lots of lose rocks and do some downhill then stick with aluminum due to the durability. I would swap my wheels around between my bikes but the Cannondale is 29" on both and the Hiabike is 27.5 on both.

20220115_230552.jpg 20220115_230830.jpg 20220115_230841.jpg Cannondale Moterra III.jpg

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I can’t really feel any difference between alloy and carbon.

I prefer alloy these days. Easy to buy new rims if needed and relatively cheap.

Builds are also nice and light. A good build will also give you plenty of strength.

I’ll be building this tomorrow.
Pro 5, 32 spokes, DT Swiss EX511 29’r

IMG_4829.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I can’t really feel any difference between alloy and carbon.

I prefer alloy these days. Easy to buy new rims if needed and relatively cheap.

Builds are also nice and light. A good build will also give you plenty of strength.

I’ll be building this tomorrow.
Pro 5, 32 spokes, DT Swiss EX511 29’r

View attachment 127306
IMG_4600.jpeg

Still 250g heavier than a 29” carbon rim - which is already taped and has a valve too.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
is that front or rear?

carbon will always be lighter than alloy by about 100 to 150g just for the rim.
I'm not going to notice that on the trail with an eeeb.

if you blind fold tested me, I would not be able to tell the difference the riding character of allow vs carbon, I just don't get that rowdy to get to the limits.....and again, a good wheel build is going to give you a strong wheel. plus, its all cushioned buy a large tyre with low air pressure....

Ive had plenty of carbon rims, for the money, I don't see the benefit (personally).

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Yeah, they are nice rims.
I’ve had light bicycle and Nextie and Santa Cruz reserves, all really nice rims. I personally think the EX511’s are just as good for my needs. 👍

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Yeah, they are nice rims.
I’ve had light bicycle and Nextie and Santa Cruz reserves, all really nice rims. I personally think the EX511’s are just as good for my needs. 👍
I’m not saying the carbon rims are any better… both have their pros and cons.
The EX511’s are a comparable rim to the i9 EN315’s - focussed on Enduro and aggressive riding.

Probably 450g+ difference between them by the time you’ve got valves and tape on, but I’d imagine a hefty price difference too.

You could lessen the weight difference with a different hub… as Hope are pretty hefty compared to some others.

If you’re riding a 25kg bike, then I imagine £1000+ to save 450g is not even a consideration.
My Levo SL is 17.1kg, so keeping the weight down is important to me. I could have gone with rims that are 400g+ lighter (and cheaper)… but then I’d be sacrificing quality and they’d potentially snap with my riding!

Last edited:

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
For my two EMTB's I really don't care that mutch about the weight. I ride the DT HXC1501 carbon rims with DT 240EXP hubs. Not the lightest carbon wheels.
On the Spectral ON the 30mm with CushCore XC inserts (front & rear)
On the Torque ON the 35mm with CushCore Pro inserts (front & rear)

For me it is a personal preference. I tried a few weeks ago a set of Hope Fortus 30 aluminium rims with Hope Pro5 hubs. I like the feedback from the carbon wheels beter. It is just a personal thing ;-)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles