Ebike Specific Rims Worth it ?

Inde_Si

May 3, 2023
France
Hey !
I'm currently running a set of E-Deemax 30 that I don't like. They're mounted on my Mondraker Crafty R wich is my first ever EMTB, and I mainly ride enduro in the south of France, so the terrain is very dry and full of stones.

They're way too flexy, and not precise and stiff as I want my wheelset to be.
Last week I made a huge dent in the rear wheel, bent the rim back, but still doesn't hold tubeless. When I was redoing my rim tape found out a small crack. Finally time to change my wheels I guess !

I want to lace myself a pair of new wheels but I don't know what rim to buy.
As this is my first electric bike, I don't know if the Ebike-specific rims are really necessary. Or if I can afford to mount a pair of EX511s like the ones I mounted for my muscle bike.

So which rims would you recommend? And is it necessary to get EBike-certified rims?

Bof4dznuts

Jun 21, 2023
Ireland
I spoke to the mechanic in my lbs in Ireland and he said a good set of downhill rims would suffice if I were to lace up a set myself, so I'd say look at rims and then lace them girls up and get rolling 🤣 🤣

Hiltix

Mar 28, 2023
Bern, Switzerland
Now running DT Swiss HX 1700 Spline after coming also from Mavic. These are made for rough stuff on eMTB. Very happy with it, quality is much more better.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Hey !
I'm currently running a set of E-Deemax 30 that I don't like. They're mounted on my Mondraker Crafty R wich is my first ever EMTB, and I mainly ride enduro in the south of France, so the terrain is very dry and full of stones.

They're way too flexy, and not precise and stiff as I want my wheelset to be.
Last week I made a huge dent in the rear wheel, bent the rim back, but still doesn't hold tubeless. When I was redoing my rim tape found out a small crack. Finally time to change my wheels I guess !

I want to lace myself a pair of new wheels but I don't know what rim to buy.
As this is my first electric bike, I don't know if the Ebike-specific rims are really necessary. Or if I can afford to mount a pair of EX511s like the ones I mounted for my muscle bike.

So which rims would you recommend? And is it necessary to get EBike-certified rims?
Sounds like you need some decent carbon rims to get that precise stiff feeling. Stronger too. I rebuild far more alloy rims than i do carbon, either misshapen, dented or cracked. you've got to be pretty unlucky to crack a carbon rim (Square edge hit)

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Don't really understand this. I could be 100kg all up on a regular bike and you could be 100kg all up on an e bike. What difference would this make to the rims?
Non at all
A well built strong wheel is a good wheel no matter what
We are getting into the "its go to be E Bike specific" rubbish with this thread soon , oh to late it already has LOL.

And in answer to the OP there as good as many wheels out there of good quality they don't have to be E Bike specific that's just marketing to separate you from your hard earned .

RiderOnTheStorm

I agree, robust, high-quality wheelsets or rims is what to look for when upgrading regardless of any e-bike marketing stickers.

I went for the DT Swiss HX 1700 wheelset when I needed better wheels. So far, not disappointed. DT Swiss claims:
- reinforced rims
- larger hub body
- larger, reinforced bearings
- freehub housing made of hardened steel
- thicker spokes
- ASTM 4
- max weight 150kg

Worth considering in my opinion.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
On my Merida eOne-Sixty I have an aluminium wheelset called "DT Swiss Spline HX1501 SPLINE ONE 30 boost" (29/27.5 mullet). Pick the bones out of that to get which 30mm internal rim width rim that you want. It has been faultless. If they do a wider rim, that may be worth your cash.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
I went for the E-Bike specific Hope Fortus 30 wheelset. The rear hub is setup to deal with the power of the transmission. Also the rim has extra reinforcement on the 30. They don’t do that on the 35 otherwise I would have gone up in width.
IMG_5500.jpeg

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Non at all
A well built strong wheel is a good wheel no matter what
We are getting into the "its go to be E Bike specific" rubbish with this thread soon , oh to late it already has LOL.

And in answer to the OP there as good as many wheels out there of good quality they don't have to be E Bike specific that's just marketing to separate you from your hard earned .
Simple physics - stronger rims more resistance to damage. Obviously you don't need them but those of us who don't spend all our time on grade 2 flow trails certainly do...

Here's a good analysis of the FR541 by an actual professional wheelbuilder (which is NOT ebike specific BTW).

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Simple physics - stronger rims more resistance to damage. Obviously you don't need them but those of us who don't spend all our time on grade 2 flow trails certainly do...

Here's a good analysis of the FR541 by an actual professional wheelbuilder (which is NOT ebike specific BTW).
I think the point was more that there are plenty of strong wheels that don't say "emtb" on them that would work extremely well on any hard ridden bike.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I went for the E-Bike specific Hope Fortus 30 wheelset. The rear hub is setup to deal with the power of the transmission. Also the rim has extra reinforcement on the 30.
TBH its a bit of a misnomer .The only difference between a Hope fortus Ebike specific is the pawls engagement. Rim is the same as a standard,spokes,nipples, hub body et all.

But just because its stating Ebike specific doesnt mean unless it says so it is unsuitable.
My bike came with basic shimano hubs and syncros rims(35mm OW) and I expect most people are using wheels that came with the bike.

Some parts might be increased strength wise, fork for example, but nothing else needs it.

It really wouldnt surprise me if theres not some company offering Ebike specific grips

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
I refer you to your previous comment where you said:

I am not sure what point you're trying to make.
Sorry clouded my assertion - FR 541 is a rim designed for DH, which is perfect for an emtb, even though said emtb is being used for general trail riding. DT Swiss designed the FR 541 to be very similar to the HX 531 which they label as an ebike rim. There's method to it, it's not just marketing as some numpties suggest..

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I'll throw my lot in with the "any strong rim will do" crowd, preferably something not too expensive and bin it next time you smack a big rock. A rim taking hard hits isn't going to fare much differently on an emtb vs mtb. The hubs need a bit more attention on an emtb, though any decent hub is going to last a while.

erikulator

Jun 28, 2023
San Jose
Rims are not the part that has to be ebike specific, it's the hubs. You need hubs with steel parts not aluminum to handle the extra power of the motor and for longevity. Don't look for lightweight hubs.

SRAM or Shimano also needs to make an ebike specific geartrain.
9 gears. Less angle deflection, plus don't need that many gears with an ebike.
Steel cassette. With only 9 gears you can make it out of steel and it will last longer without add a ton of weight.
Thicker chain. I don't think there is any chain out there mean to handle full power ebike for many seasons.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I went for the E-Bike specific Hope Fortus 30 wheelset. The rear hub is setup to deal with the power of the transmission. Also the rim has extra reinforcement on the 30. They don’t do that on the 35 otherwise I would have gone up in width. View attachment 120674
I went for the same setup but on the Hope 4 Pro hubs with Cushcore front and rear. No issues at all. Brilliant wheel set!

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I went for the E-Bike specific Hope Fortus 30 wheelset. The rear hub is setup to deal with the power of the transmission. Also the rim has extra reinforcement on the 30. They don’t do that on the 35 otherwise I would have gone up in width. View attachment 120674
This is my point
Funny you should bring these up as i run the fortus 30s with the reinforcement (which were not sold as Ebike specific years ago) and have been for years on pro4 hubs non of which are specified for Ebike use
Bike parks and jump lines are what i generally do with the odd rim dinger thrown in for good measures
I have had no problem with them at all
I have had DT swiss h1700s as well on another bike (it came with them) and they are aimed at the Ebike but were no better or worse which was my original point

Enjoy your wheels they should serve you well (y)

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
This is my point
Funny you should bring these up as i run the fortus 30s with the reinforcement (which were not sold as Ebike specific years ago) and have been for years on pro4 hubs non of which are specified for Ebike use
Bike parks and jump lines are what i generally do with the odd rim dinger thrown in for good measures
I have had no problem with them at all
I have had DT swiss h1700s as well on another bike (it came with them) and they are aimed at the Ebike but were no better or worse which was my original point

Enjoy your wheels they should serve you well (y)
That’s really assuring thank you. They arrive today ready for the bike Kenevo build!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles