ALLMTN7 - Headset Bearings

Jan 21, 2021
Surrey
Evening riders. Whilst replacing the bars and stem at the weekend I thought I'd check the headset bearings. Lucky I did as the lower one is seized. I removed the seal and the grease was just rusty water, after just 5 rides wtf?. Cleaned them out as best I could and greased, but they won't last long.

Has anyone replaced the headset bearings yet? - I'm trying to find out what size I need - Looking at possibly Superstar as they seem to have a cover over the seal which might stop water ingress. Logged a support case with Haibike but from recent experience the sla's are 2.5 months and I'm not sure I even want the same crappy bearings under warranty.

After the chain suck issue and 2 months off the bike waiting for that to be resolved I've only managed 5 bikes rides from new, and I've always covered those stupid air vents with clingfilm before hand washing - really crappy design as any water that gets in appears to just sit on the lower bearing.

JC1982

Feb 6, 2021
South Wales
Hi mine where in same condition mate. I will be replacing mine shortly. You just can't find spec on the bike at all though. Its getting a pain now.

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
Had a look at mine - all okay, checked the numbers - lower one is AC4052R1 or MHP16. upper AC3041R2 or P03K About £13 on the link above. However on my other bikes they just drop out complete. On the Allmtn the outers seem a tight fit - with little room to drift out. So good luck with that!

Jan 21, 2021
Surrey
Had a look at mine - all okay, checked the numbers - lower one is AC4052R1 or MHP16. upper AC3041R2 or P03K About £13 on the link above. However on my other bikes they just drop out complete. On the Allmtn the outers seem a tight fit - with little room to drift out. So good luck with that!
Nice one thanks those extra ref. numbers help - And yeah I couldn't get those cheeky fookers out!

BadgerHun7er

Jan 1, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Haibike just responded - 8057832616 Across Ahead is ZS44 top and ZS56 bottom
Hi Sucker of chains, I have exactly the same problem as you and trying figure out if the bearings can be replaced or a new headset required. I have always used Hope in the past and never had one rust up in 20 years of MTB but this Acros one has gone in about 40 rides. Too and bottom, but as you say, water sits on the bottom so it’s worse.

What did you do in the end? Replace whole thing or just the bearing? Any chance of link to what you did to avoid buying the wrong size etc and the inevitable wait to change components? Thanks bud.

Jan 21, 2021
Surrey
Hi Sucker of chains, I have exactly the same problem as you and trying figure out if the bearings can be replaced or a new headset required. I have always used Hope in the past and never had one rust up in 20 years of MTB but this Acros one has gone in about 40 rides. Too and bottom, but as you say, water sits on the bottom so it’s worse.

What did you do in the end? Replace whole thing or just the bearing? Any chance of link to what you did to avoid buying the wrong size etc and the inevitable wait to change components? Thanks bud.
Hey up, I actually picked mine up from a different lbs this morning. Theyve confimed the lower headset and rear hub nearings are trashed, now just waiting on Raleigh to give the go ahead to replace. When I originally contacted haibike they gave me this info: bearings part number 8057832616. Headset info Acros Ahead ZS44 top / ZS56 bottom. If it was me and not under warranty id replace the lower headset with superstar (zs56) or hope buddy.

BadgerHun7er

Jan 1, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
my bike went into the lbs this morning. They are going to replace the headset bearings or change the whole thing to Hope if the bearings don't come out. I know it is still under warranty but I replace all my headsets with Hope ones as soon as they start to show wear and then the Hope lasts forever so I can't be bothered with a wait this time. The suspension linkage is being taken apart at the same time and any bearings required will be changed too. Can't wait to get it back, one of the local lads has just messaged me to ride in the morning and I've had to put him off.

Jan 21, 2021
Surrey
Yeah, ill be going Hope when they next need it. I have the bike back now whilst they get approval for the work. Had a localish 50km blast yesterday, dispute all the issues and frame concerns I still love it ?

BadgerHun7er

Jan 1, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
I love the bike 2 and wouldn't change it. As any bike it needs constant maintenance and I have ridden 1250km throughout the winter in harsh conditions so its hardly surprising some of the bearings need replacing or regreasing.

Nick_V

Oct 9, 2020
UK
Just replaced mine at the weekend too, the Upper bearing was fine but the Lower bearing just disintegrated. I think the cable routing vents at the front allow water to get in, there is no where for the water to go expect sit on the lower bearing. Looks great but bad design in my opinion

Jan 21, 2021
Surrey
Haibike have given approval for my new LBS to source the headset and rear wheel hub bearings under warranty and it's booked in for next week :) Good timing as the rear wheel bearings are abs. knackered now. I'll be taking them apart and investigating /adding some more grease above the lower headset bearing once I get it back.

Jan 21, 2021
Surrey
So, finally got the headset bearings done last week. Lol the new lbs "forgot" to do the wheel bearings so had to rebook. The replaced them last saturday, guess what - the axle still felt rough as before. I got a new freehub in the end. Odd as original had the bearings replaced. The only think i can think is causing the crunchy feeling issue is the metal shim inbetween the 2 bearings...very odd. Will keep it as a spare anyways. Fingers crossed i have a few issue free rides now :)

avman

May 24, 2021
hull
New haibike 7 owner and have had the bike a week
Decided to check the bearings as I’ve done just about 90 miles no mud either and have rust forming on the bottom head set bearing. There was no grease in there and have put copious amounts of crystal grease on the race cups on the fork and inside of the headset.
What’s the solution to stopping g water ingress through the vents?
The bottom race acts like a bucket

avman

May 24, 2021
hull
So, finally got the headset bearings done last week. Lol the new lbs "forgot" to do the wheel bearings so had to rebook. The replaced them last saturday, guess what - the axle still felt rough as before. I got a new freehub in the end. Odd as original had the bearings replaced. The only think i can think is causing the crunchy feeling issue is the metal shim inbetween the 2 bearings...very odd. Will keep it as a spare anyways. Fingers crossed i have a few issue free rides now :)
I’ve had an issue with the shim loose the bike shop I bought it off says it’s normal not my local lbs by the way
F220724C-9B88-4294-98E5-FC7F939829D7.jpeg

Jan 21, 2021
Surrey
I’ve had an issue with the shim loose the bike shop I bought it off says it’s normal not my local lbs by the way View attachment 63256
They can't be joined to the bearings as you have to remove them - Guessing it's either crap machining or the wheel end caps were fitted too tight. My replacement one is the same, but zero crunchy this time round - well so far. Cheap internals though / bearings are entry level etc - Will be buying some new wheels when funds allow - Had a stack last weekend and sliced my shin open, A & E blah blah - anyhoos my spare cash is going on some decent shin/knee guards next so these wheels need to last a while yet - fingers crossed they do

avman

May 24, 2021
hull
They can't be joined to the bearings as you have to remove them - Guessing it's either crap machining or the wheel end caps were fitted too tight. My replacement one is the same, but zero crunchy this time round - well so far. Cheap internals though / bearings are entry level etc - Will be buying some new wheels when funds allow - Had a stack last weekend and sliced my shin open, A & E blah blah - anyhoos my spare cash is going on some decent shin/knee guards next so these wheels need to last a while yet - fingers crossed they do
Hope you get better soon. Yes protection is required. I’m hitting 50 soon and it gets harder to repair.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles