All reviews recommend upgrading tires - worth it?

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
Literrally every review I read on the rise recommends getting the minions dhr II on the back and the assegai on the front.
I ride in locations where usually is fill with dirt, sand, slippery small stones etc...its more of a hot summer than wet winter in my area.
But I want good grip from my tires, and due to the majority of complaintss I read about the original out-of-the-box dissector & rekon, should I blindly go and upgrade?
I havent collected my bike yet, so Its easier for me to just have the bike prepared with the new upgraded tires at the shop.

I'd be glad for some opinions here. thanks!

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
How heavy are you? How hard to do ride? Have you often suffered from flat tyres in the past riding your typical terrain?

If Heavy, hard and yes are your answers then definitely swap the tyres out ASAP

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
Im 6'3" tall, so it comes with some weight :) Im about 88kg.
Not riding the hardest, with my regular maxxis tires today I havent suffered from flats almost at all, yet I did suffer from slipping my rear tire soemtimes.
Today I usually ride my regular bike at 32psi, if that matters. Im not even sure whats a good air pressure for emtbs. going to be my first.

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
You could try the Dissector on the rear and just buy something like a Magic Mary or a DHF from the front. I usually run about 24 psi rear and 22 front. Tubeless. If I were to run the Dissector on the rear round here I would run an insert as it is only EXO casing and it would soon suffer a flat due to sharp edged rocks

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
They can be used, but the originals are only EXo sidewalls so any rocky terrain may present problems without inserts at such low pressure. Your grip and comfort will certainly be much improved though. 32 psi must be a very harsh ride?

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
Yes its quite stiff, but the terrain I ride at is usually rocky, climby, and I need to preserve energy :)
With emtb I guess I will be able to go lower and compensate with the motor.

Isnt also the original tires exo? I see it mentioned in the spec, does it refer only to the sidewalls, while the tires I mentioned (assegai and minion dhr 2, or minion dhf that you mentioned & dhr) are exo throughout the entire tire? meaning I can just have them tubeless with no inserts at all?
Aside from being heavier, would it impact on the ride in any negative way?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Original's are Exo+ aren't they?

Disector on the back, DHF on the front has worked for me (though the dissector is now worn out and replaced)

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Not sure. Mine are hung on a hook in the shed having been changed for an Assegai front and a Hans Dampf rear by the bike shop before i picked up my H15
There was definitely something about Orbea having Exo+ made specially for them in their favourite tyres for this bike. not sure if it was both front and rear though

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
I ran the Rekon Exo+/Dissector EXO combo for a summer, south of England, tubeless, no issues. 18 front, 20 Rear, I weigh 75Kg.

When the autumn mud came, the Rekon would just spin out, so now run DHRII EXO+ / Assegai EXO+. For bike parks and sharp rocks / faster rolling, I run 21 Front, 23 Rear. No issues so far.

I've a pair of Dissector EXO+s ready to go on some carbon rims on order, so I can have summer and winter wheelsets. Dissectors are almost 0.5kg lighter, will roll better, but I wouldn't pick them for bike parks and thick sludgy mud routes.

Hope that helps.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
You could go Dissector front and rear. They're fast rolling but have good grip in corners. Definitely go inserts and drop your pressures. 22 front and 26 rear would be pretty good for someone your weight. Less pressure often helps on climbs because you're not bouncing off things. Give the original tyres a run first...

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
The reviews you're talking about might be for the M-LTD, which came with Rekon front and rear. The Rekon is a TERRIBLE front tire. I think the stock H tires will perform fine, especially for summer.

The stock Rekon is kind of a joke in terms of weight, 965g for a 2.4. You can run a much lighter tire if you want to go that narrow, or go up to a 2.6 for the same weight.

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
Running OEM Dissector/Rekon tires on M10, 104Kg geared up, tubeless, 22F 24R in chunky rocky SoCal terrain with zero problems.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
Running OEM Dissector/Rekon tires on M10, 104Kg geared up, tubeless, 22F 24R in chunky rocky SoCal terrain with zero problems.
With inserts or completely stock?

The reviews you're talking about might be for the M-LTD, which came with Rekon front and rear. The Rekon is a TERRIBLE front tire. I think the stock H tires will perform fine, especially for summer.

The stock Rekon is kind of a joke in terms of weight, 965g for a 2.4. You can run a much lighter tire if you want to go that narrow, or go up to a 2.6 for the same weight.
Sounds like I misread or missed the differences, I think I'll try out the dissector for the summer and see how it goes.
My general intuition is going for a wider tires (the assegai is 2.5, compared to the dissector 2.4), this is mainly because its my first ebike and I thought the added stability will be calming.

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
With inserts or completely stock?

Sounds like I misread or missed the differences, I think I'll try out the dissector for the summer and see how it goes.
My general intuition is going for a wider tires (the assegai is 2.5, compared to the dissector 2.4), this is mainly because its my first ebike and I thought the added stability will be calming.
Stock, no inserts.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Try the tyres first, experiment with tyre pressures and going tubeless. If you are still unhappy change the tyres to fix the problems you are experiencing. Easy said, but when I dive into a corner, I want to feel certain that the front is not going to slide out. When I'm climbing the last thing I want is for the rear to spin out.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
due to the majority of complaintss I read about the original out-of-the-box dissector & rekon, should I blindly go and upgrade?
I havent collected my bike yet, so Its easier for me to just have the bike prepared with the new upgraded tires at the shop.

Ride what comes on the bike until you wear them out or have a good reason to change them. At least then you'll know for yourself, rather than relying on the opinions of people who have different levels of skill and ride in different conditions.

Just like on your Amish bike, every single tire on the market is a compromise between cornering, braking, rolling, and price. What are you currently running on your Amish bike? For me, I run tires on the eMTB that roll a little slower than those on my aMTB, but but with better cornering.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I agree with post # 2. Give out more info to get better advice.
For my area Rekon 3 c for rear is a winner but ask your shop
riders in your area.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
Not riding the hardest, with my regular maxxis tires today I havent suffered from flats almost at all

With what you said there I'd run the stock tyres, see how you get along with them.

With the trails we have here and the way I ride I changed to tougher tyres immediately as my other bike experiences anything EXO case on the rear will be destroyed in a few rides! I normally run 28-32 psi tubeless also. I might put an insert in the rear but will see how it goes without it for now.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
Stock, no inserts.

Sounds like I will give it a go. I just hope I wont get stuck somewhere along the road :)
I have minimal knowledge regading various tires types (can be infered from the comments I made above)
I'll head out with a spare tube, and try to run tubeless stock dissector/rekon 22-24, see how it goes.

If I end up having a flat, would an insert be a good enough option or should I just go ahead and put an exo+ in front? would the rear rekon tire (being exo+) hold low pressures (24-26psi) similarly to other exo+ tires such as the dhr2? Or does the dhr2 comes reinforced better (aside from characteristics like grip, width etc)?

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
Run a bit more pressure if your concerned. 22-24 would have me burping the tyres and possibly ripping them off the rim! I'm about 90kg.

Inserts are great, they will give rim protection and help hold the bead on, but really wont help for sidewall/tread protection from punctures.

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Hi, I'm 88kg, I ride in all terrain, all condition, muddy winter, lots of rocks and roots and dust summer on sames paths. I use assegai front, dissector rear both exo + at 26 psi front, 30 psi rear without insert. Now I've rimpact in it, I run 24bpsi front 26psi back, it has a lots of grip, reduce rebound and vibration. I love it. I've always use présure without insert on all my bike (it's the first time I use insert), I've always use exo and I've never rip a tire side wall. But sometimes I can tear of a crampons on fast agressive dh on hard rock terrain

Last edited:

neilo

Jan 25, 2022
Australia
Like quite a few people I put the stock front Dissector onto the rear and an Assegai up front. But I found really bad undercutting on the Dissector side knobs, it was basically done after about 600kms. This is an issue reported by others with the Dissector as a rear - the side knobs don't have enough support particularly for heavier riders. I'm about 90kg and run about 23psi rear, no cushcore (yet). I've got a DHRII on the back now, it is slower but definitely more braking grip and hopefully longer lasting.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Swapped Dissector to back and put a Dissector 2.6 on the front. Rekon at 1500km looked past it's best, not a bad tyre but not great in the UK winter. First impressions of Dissector both front and back is good, rolls fast and much better in the mud. The 2.6 looks much wider than the 2.4 and the only down side is the front catches sometimes on the mudgaurd when it gets a bit rowdier. Heard the Dissector on the back can wear quickly so I'll see how it wears over the spring.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Like quite a few people I put the stock front Dissector onto the rear and an Assegai up front. But I found really bad undercutting on the Dissector side knobs, it was basically done after about 600kms. This is an issue reported by others with the Dissector as a rear - the side knobs don't have enough support particularly for heavier riders. I'm about 90kg and run about 23psi rear, no cushcore (yet). I've got a DHRII on the back now, it is slower but definitely more braking grip and hopefully longer lasting.
Looked at Assegai but LBS only had it in a super soft DH casing

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’ve just had the same dilemma. We have 2 x Rise, my partners which she had last October and mine arrived last week. Originally kept the Dissector up front and changed the Rekon to a a DHR on the rear

She’s been slipping & sliding all the way through the UK’s winter slop with the Dissector but I’ve just been telling her she’ll get used to it and find the grip (I pay for everything bike related so was being a bit tight :) )

Now that mine’s arrived I was going to stick with the Dissector too, but yesterday we rode a Hully Gully style off piste trail (Wolfe Bummer if anyone knows it) and the lack of grip was comical. Zero control on the front, we spent more time on the ground picking ourselves out of the mud then we did on the peddles

Just ordered some Assegai’s (Max Terra) and will keep the DHR’s on the rear. Hoping it will be a decent all round combo

I’ll probably put the two Dissector’s on a Cube Reaction hardtail I have but don’t use anymore and sell it

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I’ve just had the same dilemma. We have 2 x Rise, my partners which she had last October and mine arrived last week. Originally kept the Dissector up front and changed the Rekon to a a DHR on the rear

She’s been slipping & sliding all the way through the UK’s winter slop with the Dissector but I’ve just been telling her she’ll get used to it and find the grip (I pay for everything bike related so was being a bit tight :) )

Now that mine’s arrived I was going to stick with the Dissector too, but yesterday we rode a Hully Gully style off piste trail (Wolfe Bummer if anyone knows it) and the lack of grip was comical. Zero control on the front, we spent more time on the ground picking ourselves out of the mud then we did on the peddles

Just ordered some Assegai’s (Max Terra) and will keep the DHR’s on the rear. Hoping it will be a decent all round combo

I’ll probably put the two Dissector’s on a Cube Reaction hardtail I have but don’t use anymore and sell it
Should have put the DHR on the front and dissector on the rear. Would be a nice combo!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Should have put the DHR on the front and dissector on the rear. Would be a nice combo!

I was going to do exactly that, but then thought I’d be wrestling with four tyres on & off (2 bikes) as well as cleaning out the sealant etc, so took the lazy option and purchased the Assegai’s so I only have to change 2 😆

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles