Air compressor for tyre inflation and cleaning?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Anyone use a compressor? If so which ones?
I bought a Bontrager Charger track pump about 6 months ago and it’s already sprung a leak. Taken it apart and rebuilt but can’t solve the issue.
Thinking of investing in compressor.

yes or no?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Brilliant, thanks! what accessories do you have? Do I need any adaptors? Never used one before so I dont know what's needed with purchase?

I bought these to go with it Air Tool Spray Kit 5 Pieces | Air Tools | Screwfix.com

They're pretty cheap and the pressure guage on the tyre inflator failed fairly quickly, but I dont use a pressure gauge , I just go by feel. Aside from the gauge failing the tyre inflator is still working fine. I havent used any of the other bits in that kit, I suspect they're pretty cheap and nasty though.

You'll also need one of these to inflate presta valve bike tyres Wiggle | LifeLine Presta to Schrader Valve Pump Head Adaptor | Pump Spares

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I got one of these ages ago, good for bike, car and blowing dust out of the garage.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Just a related note I have a compressor which I use for various things pressure casting/airtools and spraying. Its worth mentioning they can spray moist air at times which I never really though about till I was having problems spraying a clear finish. I added an air dryer and not had a problem since.

I've not run tubless but I seem to recall moisture making the sealant go off?

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I would suggest one with a small reservoir like @Mteam because they are easyer to move around and enough for tyre inflation and bike service, though a little too small for paint spraying. As per moist, I never had problems with moist/sealants, in fact the air you pump in also goes in with moist. Its only when you use them with solvent based ink that you will need an water remover on the line to get a perfect finish.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Cheers guys, plenty of options there! Thanks for making the time to post?

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
My air compressor is a 3 hp Craftsman that was new in about 1982. In addition to filling tires, it's used for air tools, blast cabinet, paint spraying, etc.

The title mentions tyre inflation and "cleaning." For routine inflation, frankly, a floor pump is sufficient. But for seating tubeless, a compressor with a tank is necessary. As for "cleaning," forget about the compressor. High pressure water or air can force dirt and water past bearing seals and into delicate mechanisms, causing accelerated wear and failure.

IMG_1995.jpeg

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I use to spray the chains only, after removing and giving a shake inside a plastic bottle with water and some kind of cleaner or solvent, then spray it to remove sand and dry it.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I was getting great success setting up tubeless with my Bontrager Charger floor pump,, until it sprung a leak the other day. It's just a track pump. it will still pump up tyres but when at rest air is hissing out. dont really want to spend over £100 for a pump. This one was £25 and worked real well until something popped inside. I've taken the whole thing apart and checked all rubber seals. It's weird, it just not holding pressure and the pressure gauge has stopped working.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
yea I have one in the workshop by the door so when I wash my bike I can air blast it and put it away without waiting.
some 25L screwfix special that sounds like all the demons of the underworld are being released when its running but it does the job and I couldnt afford the silent one.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Once you buy a compressor, think about a Prestaflator setup.

I have an older one with a dial gauge & a 90 degree head. Works great.

Buy a rubber hose, not the plastic garbage. The rubber will stay flexible for a very long time, the plastic just becomes a pain to work with. The only exception would be the plastic coil type hose for the prestaflator.

Also, don't skimp on the quick connects. Buy a high quality brand, in the US, that is normally Milton. Cheap ones leak, which doesn't hurt anything, but is annoying. Get the same kind your friends have, so you can borrow his tools.

I won't even show my air compressor. 7.5HP with 90 gallon tank. I am a car enthusiast & having reserve capacity is a must when operating certain tools. I also have an older "pancake" style that I purchased with some air nailers when I was building my house 15 years ago.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles