Cordless portable air inflators

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I have noticed watching CycloX races this winter that in the pits there are cordless drill looking tools being used as tire inflators. Knowing that cordless tools are available to just about anything these days I took a trip down Google Ave. and of course came up with a variety of options including a 10 best site: Top 10 best cordless air pump for tires in 2018 review

The ones I saw in the pits looked like there were Metabo based as I recognized the green color. That brand doesn't show up in the above site but there are some that resemble the drill type as seen in the pits. But the one that is attractive to me after looking at the options is the cylindrical type as they are compact and weigh half as much as the drill types at 1lb.. They recharge via AC or 12vDC (car) and are small enough to fit in a back pack easily.

The one I have decided on is this:

It even comes with a presta adaptor which none of the others I could find did. Along with an LED read out and pre-set tire psi/bar to shut off ability.

Another one I considered was a Ryobi drill type model that without a battery is around $30 and I have a Ryobi cordless vaccuum with the right kind of battery. But it doesn't have the 12V option nor presta adaptor and weighs twice as much and it's bulk and weight would not make it as packable. Would be good for pit use though.

I don't expect these type of units to pump up a car tire, although they advertise they will, but for bike tires they should work fine especially because I only inflate to 15psi on my mtb and 35psi for my gravel bikes.

Just curious if any on here have had any experience with this type of tool as it seems like at this time it's an across the pond based concept for bike use, good or bad, before I pull the trigger. TIA!

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
I'd love to see more powered trail tools that can be made light-weight by feeding off the eMTB's battery. A pump sounds like a good start. I bet it'd lighter than a decent hand pump...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It would have to have a high air flow so that it could "explode" tubeless tyres onto the rim, otherwise I wouldn't buy. My track pump and mini-pump are fine for maintaining the pressure.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I didn't know these drill pumps existed. Dang they look nice

I recently bought a Birzman Fatty Floor Pump, which cuts down on pump time, but it's fairly large for transporting to the trail. I can get 35psi max out of the dial on the Birzman Fatty pump but not 1 psi more

Last edited:

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Lidl has this one for ~60€. I was considering it but already have a compressor and a floor pump I just couldn't justify it.

I bet that one is it as it is the same shape and color as the ones I saw during the race coverage. That vid kind of showcases how LOUD they are however....Took awhile to blow up the floaty but seemed to pump up the mtb tire to 2bar in pretty short order.

I like Squire Rides idea to have it work off the bikes battery. The cylinder type without the 2600mah battery would weigh half as much and should still be able to run off 12v/AC too. Some enterprising person needs to get on that stat!

Certainly this type of tool isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea but that's cool :cool:. I posted the same query on another board and there were several on there that really pumped it up!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles