Advise please on a new chain.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I take it all back, seeing posts about chains only lasting 500 miles. My last chain maintained well and sympathetic gear changing on a sram set up lasted over 1500 miles. The bike is a 12 speed shimano set up and the chain tool slots straight in at 0.75% wear.
The chains started creaking under load and needs the b screw adjusting out of sink to get everything working smoothly so its new chain time.
I have no idea what chain to order, its a minefield when you don't understand. The bike is running narrow wide shimano 12 speed xt drive train.
A suggestion on which chain type I need would be much appreciated :) Not fussed on cost just need the correct best available .

Ricky_1973

Mar 28, 2021
Netherlands
After 1750 kilometers/1100 miles I found that the chainwear was over 1.00% I replaced the Cassette, the chain and the chainring of my cube stereo with just about the exact same set it came with (and since there is hardly any stock on all those items I ordered the set twice - for the next replacement). Can't you do the same or don't you have the info of the current set of items on your bike?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’m guessing you would want this..
KMC chains seem good quality.

7E1B7CC5-006E-4589-93A1-7190B10CC57F.jpeg

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I ordered a shimano xt for it. The only thing i was unsure about was not seeing anything relevant to narrow wide chain fitment. Not sure if that's a special chain or just regular or indeed specific to all shimano chains .

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I take it all back, seeing posts about chains only lasting 500 miles. My last chain maintained well and sympathetic gear changing on a sram set up lasted over 1500 miles. The bike is a 12 speed shimano set up and the chain tool slots straight in at 0.75% wear.
The chains started creaking under load and needs the b screw adjusting out of sink to get everything working smoothly so its new chain time.
I have no idea what chain to order, its a minefield when you don't understand. The bike is running narrow wide shimano 12 speed xt drive train.
A suggestion on which chain type I need would be much appreciated :) Not fussed on cost just need the correct best available .

0.75 ? Your new chain may skip as well ...
0.5 is a better time to change . By 0.75 they start to wear the small cogs out . Been there , done that recently .

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia

It's actually not complicated, at all.

For 12 speed shimano (hyperglide+), you want a hyperglide+ chain. Which only shimano make. This will ensure the smoothest shifting, and the most life out of your components. The chain, chainring and casette are all manufactured specifically to take advantage of the other, in order for hyperglide+ to work best. This is above any beyond almost any other chain/cassette combo. You really do want a shimano Hyperglide+ Chain to pair with your hyperglide+ casette (which yours is), if you want the best performance.

Explanation on hyperglide+: SHIMANO HYPERGLIDE+

So your choice of chains comes down to the following:

Deore 12 speed Hyperglide+ Chain M6100: CN-M6100
SLX 12 speed Hyperglide+ chain M7100: CN-M7100
XT 12 speed Hyperglide+ Chain M8100: CN-M8100
XTR 12 speed Hyperglide+ Chain M9100: CN-M9100

EMTBForums also did a video touching on this very topic, that is, which shimano 12 speed chain lasts the longest? That video is available here: Shimano 12 speed chain test - SLX vs XT - EMTB Forums

My advice, go for SLX or XT chain, whichever you can find for the best price. They are all compatible with all shimano 12 speed casettes, but they just have some small differences like coatings or material, but all of them are the exact same shape, to mesh properly with the chainring/cassette teeth. XT would most likely be the 'best' one for you, really. XTR is just big money for small weight reduction.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
It's actually not complicated, at all.

For 12 speed shimano (hyperglide+), you want a hyperglide+ chain. Which only shimano make. This will ensure the smoothest shifting, and the most life out of your components. The chain, chainring and casette are all manufactured specifically to take advantage of the other, in order for hyperglide+ to work best. This is above any beyond almost any other chain/cassette combo. You really do want a shimano Hyperglide+ Chain to pair with your hyperglide+ casette (which yours is), if you want the best performance.

Explanation on hyperglide+: SHIMANO HYPERGLIDE+

So your choice of chains comes down to the following:

Deore 12 speed Hyperglide+ Chain M6100: CN-M6100
SLX 12 speed Hyperglide+ chain M7100: CN-M7100
XT 12 speed Hyperglide+ Chain M8100: CN-M8100
XTR 12 speed Hyperglide+ Chain M9100: CN-M9100

EMTBForums also did a video touching on this very topic, that is, which shimano 12 speed chain lasts the longest? That video is available here: Shimano 12 speed chain test - SLX vs XT - EMTB Forums

My advice, go for SLX or XT chain, whichever you can find for the best price. They are all compatible with all shimano 12 speed casettes, but they just have some small differences like coatings or material, but all of them are the exact same shape, to mesh properly with the chainring/cassette teeth. XT would most likely be the 'best' one for you, really. XTR is just big money for small weight reduction.
Thank you. very detailed explanation (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles