Levo Gen 2 Advise before I go mad! Central coast mudguard

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
I went to install this mudguard. I must of fu#k up and took both bolts out. The bracket inside slid down.

Driving me mad...I can't seem to get the bolt to start to screw on. Bolts are only like 5mm long... they don't seem long enough. Screenshot_20210302-034753_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210302-035648_Gallery.jpg

Anyone with ideas? What are these two bolts even for?

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Well, TBH I followed directions and only took one bolt off at any given instance. Nothing fell down and the install took minutes.

I suppose in your situation you will now need to remove the left crankarm and take off the plastic left-side motor cover to find and reposition the female-threaded piece that loosening both bolts has allowed to become misaligned.

You also need to follow the bit in the directions about bending/forming the fender into a smooth channel along the long axis to an extent that might be deeper-furrowed than you might expect (it will slowly flatten itself a bit later). It's a lot easier if you heat it up in some warm-to-hot water, and form it around a cylinder, like a small vacuum/Thermos bottle.

Last edited:

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Yup, that's why you don't take both out at the same time.
I think you're going to have to at least remove the side so you can line up the threads again

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
I just don't see how the bolts ever threaded in the first place. Not long enough. But I unscrewed them so they have to work ?

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Mine fits very well. As pointed out you do need to curve it a bit by pressing in the middle before nipping the bolts up - otherwise it will rub slightly on the tyre. Rubber band disappeared some time ago but it doesn't seem to need it. Gives excellent protection, especially combined witha Mudhugger.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
For anybody reading this before installing the Central Coast mudguard:

As noted above, the threads on the two screws are *very* short, and the two female threads are in a single bracket that is not attached to the bike. If the bracket is not held pretty tight against the inside of the motor cover, the screw threads may not be long enough to engage.

I had much better luck after removing the crank arm and motor cover on the non-drive side. Then you can push the bracket against the inside of the motor cover with one hand while you start the screws with the other hand.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
For anybody reading this before installing the Central Coast mudguard:

As noted above, the threads on the two screws are *very* short, and the two female threads are in a single bracket that is not attached to the bike. If the bracket is not held pretty tight against the inside of the motor cover, the screw threads may not be long enough to engage.

I had much better luck after removing the crank arm and motor cover on the non-drive side. Then you can push the bracket against the inside of the motor cover with one hand while you start the screws with the other hand.

Or you can just follow their explicit written directions and only have one bolt off at a time. That's all it takes to do it the easy way. No crankarm pulling/pressing nor motor cover removal/re-installation required.

The bolt threads are only short if you've allowed the female bracket to fall out of position. Otherwise, they are right-sized.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
A) My lbs fitted the flexible piece that Specialized came up with to decrease the amount of muck that entered the motor housing from the back side of the housing. I don't think they tightened the two screws we're talking about enough. They were probably worried about stripping the threads. Edit: The screws may have been under-tightened by the lbs when they replaced the motor.

B) When I removed the first screw, which was not tight, the female threads disappeared. I didn't know about the bracket, so I supposed that a nut fell to the bottom of the motor housing. Now I know that the bracket simply rotated on the other screw.

C) The screw threads are quite short regardless of the bracket position. Yes, they are long enough to engage if everything is positioned correctly, but just barely.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles