Advice on what to buy

Cramman

Oct 22, 2022
South Shields
Hi.

I'm at a loss as to what I want.

Bit of background, I'm 188cm, about 95Kg with 35" leg. Riding is mainly UK trail centres with some off piste rides.
This bike will be replacing a 2015 canyon spectral that was running a Lyric RC fork and cane creek coil.

I have a downhill bike and hartail but want a trail/all mountain ebike - £5.5K ish.

Currently, I'm considering the following;
Trek rail 7 - Trek Rail 7 SLX/XT (Dark Aquatic/Trek Black) 2022 - Sale
Canyon Spectral ON
Focus Sam2 - Focus Sam2 6.8 E-MTB FS Milk Brown 2021
Marin Alpine trail e3 - Marin 2022 Alpine Trail E2 Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike

Any thoughts? Anything I'm missing?

Currently, I'm thinking the Jam2 is a little much for the riding I'm doing. I'm too old to be riding flat out and hitting massive jumps, therefore I'm thinking it'll be boring on the normal rides but that price per spec is very appealing. The Sam2 would be a better option but stock is limited. The Alpine trail looks good, I like a coil but many seem to suggest it's not the correct setup for the bike.
The canyon is very good value. I like Trek, but it seems you have to spend a lot to get a good setup.

Or, should I wait? I'll likely ride the HT over winter anyway.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Currently, I'm thinking the Jam2 is a little much for the riding I'm doing. I'm too old to be riding flat out and hitting massive jumps, therefore I'm thinking it'll be boring on the normal rides but that price per spec is very appealing. The Sam2 would be a better option
I think you've got these the wrong way round .. the Jam (Junior all mountain) is the shorter travel one. The Sam (Senior all mountain) is the longer travel one. Something like a Jam2 6.9 would be quite capable.

Or the Trek, or the Whyte, or the Pole .

All good and capable bikes so a lot will come down to price/availability which you prefer personally (ideally from sitting on/riding if possible, but if not - which looks nicest ! :) )

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Mondraker crafty is an option and price is good !
If I was buying my 1st ebike again I would go with a kenevo sl 100%

Jag009

Sep 9, 2022
Loch lomond
At the buget you have your going to get a good bike
For me me the fit of the bike is most important ,ie no point in going for the best spec if it does not fit you and just feels wrong
Take your time and try many if you can ,also find a good bike shop thats willing to take time with you, and help you find the right bike
Happy hunting

Cramman

Oct 22, 2022
South Shields
Can anyone confirm if the crafty has a removal battery? Some places saying it doesn't, others that it does.

The bike needs to live in a Asguard while we are looking for a new property with a garage so that would be a no for me.

Cramman

Oct 22, 2022
South Shields
Can anyone confirm if the crafty has a removal battery? Some places saying it doesn't, others that it does.

The bike needs to live in a Asguard while we are looking for a new property with a garage so that would be a no for me.
Mondraker website confirms it cannot be removed. Shame.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Some excellent suggestions, thanks. Loving the look of the craft and getting the updated bosch controller is a massive positive for me.

Brilliant deal on the Cube stereo 160 Buy the new Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC Action Team 2022 eMTB with free shipping - Freeborn Bikes

Love the look but after riding the 29er HT I want a 29 or mullet bike.
The Cube Stereo 140 is the version with 29" wheels, and also exists in SL, TM, AT,.. versions.
But I don't think they're available in size XL at the moment.

Maxi

Oct 5, 2021
Cumbria
Radon Render 9.0 750 - excellent value (IMHO). Only downside is that they (bike-discount.de) won't ship to the UK, assuming due to increased import charges following Brexit. However, if you have a mate in Holland / France / Germany / etc., could be an option.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Err - increased import charges due to;
  1. Ukraine war (sorry, special military operation)
  2. Global shortage of cable end covers
  3. UK ban on import of 'foreign' tyres
  4. ...
As a lot of the parts are made from oil, it surely is due to climate change.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles