A what to buy post

Hughesy-p

Feb 6, 2021
Isle of wight
Hi everyone.
With in the next week im looking to buy my first ebike. I have a 6k budget and I'm going to need a xl frame as I'm 6.2.
I would like the bosch motor if possible but I'm open minded. I have no experience with ebikes apart from what I've read and watched on YouTube etc, I do ride a 2021 canyon spectral 6 al at the moment and wanted to add a ebike to the fleet.
What's everyone's experience and thoughts.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Good luck finding anything in stock...

Covid has been good for bike sales and bad for bike supplies.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If they've got unreserved XLs you'd better make your mind up quick smart.

I've got a Rail and it's awesome. I don't know much about the Scott, in fact I haven't even seen one on the trails, but I believe some models can run two batteries which the Rail can't.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Hi everyone.
With in the next week im looking to buy my first ebike. I have a 6k budget and I'm going to need a xl frame as I'm 6.2.
I would like the bosch motor if possible but I'm open minded. I have no experience with ebikes apart from what I've read and watched on YouTube etc, I do ride a 2021 canyon spectral 6 al at the moment and wanted to add a ebike to the fleet.
What's everyone's experience and thoughts.
Hi Hughesy-P, between me and you, anyone here can suggest a emtb (especially with a 6k budget). Realistically, I'd always approach buying (or building) an emtb subject to the application I'm after.
I appreciate that you may assume that you're new but try to think of it like buying a regular bike. If you want to experience a broad range of riding, a trail bike is what you are after. If it's more aggressive riding, an enduro spec bike would be a must.
The only peice of advice I'll extend is try to encompass your budget for potential upgrades. Believe, 95% of all emtb riders don't ride their bikes completely stock. Whether it's a subtle change like stem, bars, grips and saddle. To big upgrades like suspension, wheelset, brakes and dare I say, an additional battery.
From one tall rider to another (I'm 6foot 3"), just buy the biggest size possible. Obviously, observe each geometry chart for each bike. However, its easier to shorten a bigger bike than lengthen a smaller bike.
Hope this helps and ride safe ?

Hughesy-p

Feb 6, 2021
Isle of wight
Hi Hughesy-P, between me and you, anyone here can suggest a emtb (especially with a 6k budget). Realistically, I'd always approach buying (or building) an emtb subject to the application I'm after.
I appreciate that you may assume that you're new but try to think of it like buying a regular bike. If you want to experience a broad range of riding, a trail bike is what you are after. If it's more aggressive riding, an enduro spec bike would be a must.
The only peice of advice I'll extend is try to encompass your budget for potential upgrades. Believe, 95% of all emtb riders don't ride their bikes completely stock. Whether it's a subtle change like stem, bars, grips and saddle. To big upgrades like suspension, wheelset, brakes and dare I say, an additional battery.
From one tall rider to another (I'm 6foot 3"), just buy the biggest size possible. Obviously, observe each geometry chart for each bike. However, its easier to shorten a bigger bike than lengthen a smaller bike.
Hope this helps and ride safe ?
Thank you for the advice ?

Hughesy-p

Feb 6, 2021
Isle of wight
If they've got unreserved XLs you'd better make your mind up quick smart.

I've got a Rail and it's awesome. I don't know much about the Scott, in fact I haven't even seen one on the trails, but I believe some models can run two batteries which the Rail can't.
To late I like the rail 9 but its now out of stock, and the range Extender on the scott I quite like the idea

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Just had a quick look. E-Bike direct have the Haibike XDuro FullSeven in an xl for £4000ish. With the 2k remaining, you could buy a Zeb 160mm fork, an additional battery and still have change for bits and pieces. Best thing, its rocking a Bosch motor

Hughesy-p

Feb 6, 2021
Isle of wight
Just had a quick look. E-Bike direct have the Haibike XDuro FullSeven in an xl for £4000ish. With the 2k remaining, you could buy a Zeb 160mm fork, an additional battery and still have change for bits and pieces. Best thing, its rocking a Bosch motor
Trouble with haibike is the maximum unit weight is about 120kg ish

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I'm not going to be able to untill the weekend ?
This is a brilliant bike ..built with UK weather conditions in mind and handles like a bike which weighs so much less ..
If at all possible and you are serious about wanting a bike imminently then I would be contacting the shop to see if you can put down a small deposit ..you won't be disappointed

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
What sort of riding do you plan on doing on it? I’d only buy the Whyte, magnificent as it is, if the riding you do requires all that travel.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ive never found you can have too much travel. But i have found out plenty of times there isnt enough.
I love 180/180 and find it's great for everything. But obviously with that there are downsides. It means a heavier bike which won't be as precise or flick able. It will be more fun in some situations and less fun in others. If you're not doing big drops and jumps and you're not smashing into large rocks all the time, you might be able to take a bike which is more precise in it's handling instead.

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
If it is in stock then put your money down, from someone who waited since last September for a particular bike - ended up it didn't come into stock, so I put my money on the first size L eMTB that I had on my shortlist.

I was told June/July Trek have names against them since last year by my LBS and first one available will be Sept/October and most of them are taken. I have only heard good things about Whyte and they are suited to British/Irish weather. I didn't want such long travel as I don't do jumps/DH so was not for me.

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
Unless you're prepared to wait what might turn out to be a very long time just buy anything decent you can find in stock. Bosch Gen 4 is a good option but don't rule out others.
I was looking for a bike in October last year and was being quoted anything from Jan 21 through to Aug / Sept 21 for availability and then found a Focus in stock and bought it on the spot.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles