Advice on buying first emtb

Ky-lus

Mar 26, 2022
Gloucester
Hi all, looking to purchase my first ebike in April and I’m trying to decide between 2 bikes. I’m interested in the mondraker crafty carbon r with the Bosch 750 and the new Santa Cruz heckler r with shimano 720. How big of a factor should the motor be when picking a bike? Going by the reviews I think the Santa cruz would fit my riding style more but can’t get over all the bad experiences I keep seeing with the ep8. Would you take 1 over the other because of motor or should the motor not matter as much? Thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I would not be bothered by "all the bad reviews"; you can take that with a large pinch of salt.

I bought my first emtb that suited me very well; it happened to have a Shimano e8000 that remained faultless over 3500 miles when I sold the bike. I then bought a bike that had an EP8. This was at the time when just about every review said it had a clicking (clattering or clunking depending upon the reviewer). I suppose that constitutes a bad review? But the Shimano motors are praised for delivering their torque in the most lifelike way. In other words, they feel like you on a really good day. My EP8 has performed flawlessly and I find it to be quieter than many motors I come across. Yes, when I'm going over rough ground without pedalling, something inside the motor has a slight metal to metal tinkle. I believe this to be a feature of the design of the free wheel inside the motor, one of the components that delivers the reduced drag. I no longer notice it. The trail has to be a quiet trail for me to hear it at all, even when I'm listening out for it.

Motors are important because they are all different and have different features. But you are not buying a motor, you are buying a bike. The motor may be fantastic and be flawless, but if the bike does not suit you and your riding style or where you want to ride it, then you will not gain maximum enjoyment.

Tekmotiv

Tekmotiv.co.uk
Subscriber
Dec 28, 2021
Cambridge UK
As a dealer, we would say buy the bike you like and that feels right, don't worry to much about supposed issues with motors. We get so few problems with either Brose ( same as Specialized fit ) or Shimano. And you always have warranty. Maybe you will like our Carbon options from Fantic also:

Regards James
Tekmotiv

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I have owned motors from Bosch, Shimano, Brose (Spesh), and Mahle (Spesh). All bar the Mahle and the Brose/Spesh 1.3 motor have had faults and been replaced. That said, my bikes work hard - I had one that did 8,000kms+ in 12 months, and it was one of 3 bikes! The motor and it's integration into the bike, are both important factors, but I would urge you to ride as many eMTBs as you can, before you make your decision. Real rides too, not carpark bouncing. It's crucial that the overall bike works for you, as the best motor in the world can not save a shit bike!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles