Adidas 5.10 shoes

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I currently own 2 pair of the original 5.10 shoes and now 2 pair of the Adidas. I own the mid rise trailcross, I used them for winter as they are warm. however I found the newer sole to grip better than the stock olschool 5.10 sole. so much so that I ordered the low top Adidas 5.10 trailcross for the summer and again the soles stick better than my old 5.10 ever did

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
yes, Adidas bought 5.10 i only wrote this post as alot of people have complained that the 5.10 that are made by Adidas are worse than the old ones.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The sole of the original 5 10s and the Adidas branded versions are both Stealth S1 rubber....so the same.

pez_cemetery

Mar 18, 2020
Bristol
Actually the Trailcross shoes have less sticky Stealth Phantom rubber, not Stealth S1 like the Freerider and Impact. Which makes the original poster's comment more confusing!

pez_cemetery

Mar 18, 2020
Bristol
Actually the Trailcross shoes have less sticky Stealth Phantom rubber, not Stealth S1 like the Freerider and Impact. Which makes the original poster's comment more confusing!

Edit! Actually there is very little difference - see Which Five Ten mountain bike shoes are right for you? - MBR

The other factor is flexibility of the sole. I find the ordinary Freeriders to have better grip than the Freerider Pro now they have the same S1 rubber because the ordinary Freeriders are less stiff and hence cup convex peddles more.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Edit! Actually there is very little difference - see Which Five Ten mountain bike shoes are right for you? - MBR

The other factor is flexibility of the sole. I find the ordinary Freeriders to have better grip than the Freerider Pro now they have the same S1 rubber because the ordinary Freeriders are less stiff and hence cup convex peddles more.
This - I have multiple pairs of five tens, including some of the original Adidas Trailcross's and whilst they have the same rubber, the feel through the sole makes a fair difference to how you perceive the grip.

Calsun

May 17, 2021
Monterey CA
Always trade-offs - the softer and stickier the rubber compound the faster the sole will wear out. Shopping for a new pair of flats last week at REI I was surprised how much sole flex there was despite their having very thick soles.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
the softer and stickier the rubber compound the faster the sole will wear out
True, but I would say not too much of a concern, especially if you want good grip. I've had my Freeriders since 2015. Mostly just weekend riding and the equivalent of six months' daily commuting. They're showing wear, but not much. The laces got worn out quicker than the soles.

Or maybe I'm just not riding Gary enough!

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
True, but I would say not too much of a concern, especially if you want good grip. I've had my Freeriders since 2015. Mostly just weekend riding and the equivalent of six months' daily commuting. They're showing wear, but not much. The laces got worn out quicker than the soles.

It does depend alot on how/what you ride and the size of the pins on the pedals.
A pair usually last me 6 months before the pins have torn holes in the soles.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany

I just realised that the last sentence could be read in a couple of ways...

Last edited:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I like stiff soles and wish there where flat pedals shoes as stiff as clip shoes are. Found that 5.10 still sell theyr guide tennie, witch have stealth rubber and are stiffer and lighter than the adidas.

Last edited:

ohm13

Jun 10, 2018
Seattle
I have 2 pairs of original freerider EPS (insulated version) that I love. they look bad ass and feel great even on long rides - no hot spots, soreness etc.... I decided to try the new Adidas version to help extend the life of my other two pairs but after two rides I'm not liking them. they pinch my feet in a couple spots and they feel a wee bit bigger and the styling is not as nice as the originals. will be looking at Ride Concepts or other brands in the future I guess....

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
I currently own 2 pair of the original 5.10 shoes and now 2 pair of the Adidas. I own the mid rise trailcross, I used them for winter as they are warm. however I found the newer sole to grip better than the stock olschool 5.10 sole. so much so that I ordered the low top Adidas 5.10 trailcross for the summer and again the soles stick better than my old 5.10 ever did
Iv noticed my high impacts are a lot less comfortable than my old ones before Adidas partnered up with them.

EchoLima21

Jan 8, 2021
Surrey, Uk
Adidas Trailcross after 12 months and 900 miles of riding (both sides went). Is that good service? You be the judge.

B0B1CE2C-3B67-403A-8946-BE6C3C1C480C.jpeg

Gazzer

Nov 4, 2019
Sydney, Australia
I have 2 pairs of original freerider EPS (insulated version) that I love. they look bad ass and feel great even on long rides - no hot spots, soreness etc.... I decided to try the new Adidas version to help extend the life of my other two pairs but after two rides I'm not liking them. they pinch my feet in a couple spots and they feel a wee bit bigger and the styling is not as nice as the originals. will be looking at Ride Concepts or other brands in the future I guess....
I agree... found this too. No padding in the tounge and poor fit as well. Sold them after two rides. Purchased RC Powerlines and find them heaps better. I also feel the DTS 4.0 max grip is just as sticky as the stealth rubber. Adidas have broken the Freeriders!

Calsun

May 17, 2021
Monterey CA
I recently bought three different Five Ten shoe models and all were too short. A US 10.5 is supposed to be the same as a EU 44 but Five Ten is instead putting 43.3 shoes in the box and the shoe is labled as being a 43.3. Finally tried a pair of the Trailcross LT in a 10.5 size and it was a true 44 in the box and the fit was great. No idea as to how well they will wear but the synthetic materials now being used in bike shoes does not begin to wear as well as leather.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would say if it wasn’t for the soles, 5.10’s really arent great shoes.

I have way too many riding shoes, and most of them are a much better shoe in terms of comfort, durability and features than 5.10s

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
I would say if it wasn’t for the soles, 5.10’s really arent great shoes.

I have way too many riding shoes, and most of them are a much better shoe in terms of comfort, durability and features than 5.10s

My current Five Ten High Impacts have worn through the soles so I'm looking for a replacement, but the quality / sizing issues of the Adidas Five Tens are putting me off. That, and the fact that you can't seem to buy them here in Australia anyway!

Are there any alternatives that you (or anyone) recommend that I should take a look at - with the caveat that the ankle protection is a 'must have'

Gazzer

Nov 4, 2019
Sydney, Australia
My current Five Ten High Impacts have worn through the soles so I'm looking for a replacement, but the quality / sizing issues of the Adidas Five Tens are putting me off. That, and the fact that you can't seem to buy them here in Australia anyway!

Are there any alternatives that you (or anyone) recommend that I should take a look at - with the caveat that the ankle protection is a 'must have'

The Powerlines have the stickier DTS 4.0 Max Grip rubber but the Wildcat’s higher ankle protection may do the trick for you.

Overall, I reckon the RCs are put together better than the Addidas now. You can also find them in Australian shops and actually try them for fit

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles