Levo Gen 2 Adding USB Charger to the 2019 Levo

Crockej

Feb 21, 2021
Oregon, USA
Adding USB charger to a 2019 Levo (Carbon frame)

First I spent a lot of time researching 12v USB devices. I came upon a Chafon product that is made for motorcycles (search Amazon). They have 3 versions to choose from. They’re all waterproof and have an on/off switch which I thought was critical - as I didn’t want the device to use any power if I wasn’t using it. I also chose their product that had 2 USB slots: a 1amp and 2.1amp output which gave me a choice for how much battery power I was willing to use.
IMG_0409.jpg

The other research was finding the plug-in to tap into the Levo motor that gave the 12v needed. The motor has 2 outputs: one for a headlight and one for a taillight - both at 12 volts. The 2.1 motor rates these plugins at 12v/2amp (the earlier motors only have 6v output). USB devices output 5 volts. Using Ohms Law, 12v@2amps=24watts which is equal to [email protected]=24watts so there should be 4.8amps @ 5 volts available to use from the motor plug which should be no problem. Like everything else, the wire is in short supply and sells out quickly. For the US, check www.universalcycles.com. Search for 'brose light'
Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 10.39.54 AM.jpg

LT0761.jpg

Getting the wire up through the frame (best to start from the motor) was challenging until I used a .095 string trimmer line that was fairly rigid. I fished the line through the frame to the TCU port opening and taped the wire to its end. There’s room at the top of the frame on the right side to fish the wire outside of the frame, next to the existing wire that’s used for the speed shift control. (I have a 2019 Carbon Levo frame. Not sure how it would be with the aluminum frame.
IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

As for mounting, there are several options - some easier than others. I wanted it to be as hidden as possible and not have it clutter up my bars any more than they already are. Depending on how your bike is set up, I found it pretty easy to build a simple wood mounting block that fit under the stem. The stem hole is cut with a 1 3/8” forstner bit. I didn’t want to modify my bar height so I had to slightly modify a 1/2” wood block to fit under the stem. To simplify it, you could easily modify the wood thickness to match the riser height of the bar or change the height of your bars. I added double sided tape to the cutout to keep it from rotating on the stem. It’s secured with a zip tie.
IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

For the wiring, to keep it as streamlined as possible, I chose to solder the wires and then use shrink wrap tubes on the joints to make it more waterproof. I soldered and shrink wrapped the individual wires then used a larger shrink wrap tube to securely wrap both. I zip tied the wires to the existing brake housing.
IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

I've ordered a shorter cable (8") which will clean up the look.

Initial results show that with my iPhone 8 at 85%, the 1amp port draws 3-4 watts to charge the phone. I know that the charging watts lower as you get closer to 100% charge but I’d guess that the max load would be 5 watts as all the older iPhone (earlier than iPhone 11) came with wall chargers that were only rated at 5 watts. Don’t know anything about the other phone watt loads.

Obviously, it's not waterproof when it's plugged in so you need to be wise on when to use it. But since it's hidden under my phone mount, I don't even know it's there. You can monitor how many watts it's using by toggling it on and off while watching the stats in Mission Control. Only had it in use for one ride but will report back if I learn about any issues.

I did find that my wireless cateye bike computer that was right next to the charger, had interference from the charger and didn't work so I moved it to the end of my bar. Preliminary tests shows it's working now.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I don't think he was asking for ideas of how to use an iphone longer, he was being kind enough to share the details, with images and descriptions, of how to add a USB port to a levo. You don't have to use it to charge your iphone, you can use it for anything.

Anyway. He has 700wh .. that can keep his phone going for weeks. :)

Great job on welcoming someone though. Gold star.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
That seems like a lot of work to get slow usb charging.
Couldn't just make sure you phone was charged before a ride like you would the bike battery?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There's no reason why running off the ports should affect the warranty. OK, they're called "light" ports, but they're just ancillary power outputs which are protected by internal circuitry. It's not like you're splicing into the main motor connectors. The risks are the same as connecting a light which suffers water ingress.

As to why you'd want it. We're all different. We don't have to question why everyone does anything. The world would be a very boring place if we did and wanted everyone to be clones of ourselves, there also wouldn't be much innovation !

It's something which has come up many times in the past and been discussed more times than I can remember. So it's obviously something that some people find useful, don't forget, it comes as standard as a feature on many bikes.

For example :

Yes, spesh bikes with 2.1 motors have had issues with water getting into the TCU when the diagnostic USB port isn't covered properly in the TCU, but that's directly part of the main control system.

I've always wondered if that doesn't provide enough current to charge from - but then you're at a much higher risk of getting stuck if it rains ! :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Especially for such a pointless modification when there are better and more suitable things you can do.
In your opinion .. For you ! As is evident with all your posts as FX1 .. ZERO and now REKT as you insist on repeatedly re-launching yourself. There is only your opinion, your view on the world and anyone else with a different opinion, view, solution, idea, thought, ebike or even bike carrier - is WRONG !

So to save another thread being pointlessly and useless thrown down the FX1/ZERO/REKT trail of endless circular discussion ..

Yes .. you are right, about everything !

Without removing any quailty about you being right .. Keep in mind that the OP has not said YOU MUST DO THIS .. THIS IS THE ONLY OPTION .. DO THIS OR THE WORLD WILL END. He's only offered up a solution for anyone who MIGHT want to do it where it fits for THEIR needs where other solutions DON'T fit. It's a choice. OK - yes, 100% the wrong choice FOR YOU ..

I'll let you read that you're right and then I'm going to be politely putting you on "block" as it's pointless me reading anything you write as it's always 100% correct and makes the world so less interesting. No doubt you'll re-launch yourself again once you've pi55ed off enough people. I'd suggest for ease just modifying your existing user name and going with something like REKTUM.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
C'mon guys.
We have to remember that people have different needs. There is not just one right way and the needs of others must be respected.
Yup. Sorry. They just pee me off with their relentless "I'm right" attitude, endless diving into threads just to tell people what they're doing is sh1t because they wouldn't do it - no discussion. Three different user id's in and it's getting a bit monotonous.

I'll probably unblock them in a couple of weeks once my frustration jar has emptied out a bit. :)

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Yup. Sorry. They just pee me off with their relentless "I'm right" attitude, endless diving into threads just to tell people what they're doing is sh1t because they wouldn't do it - no discussion. Three different user id's in and it's getting a bit monotonous.

I'll probably unblock them in a couple of weeks once my frustration jar has emptied out a bit. :)
I didn't mean you

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looks like Decathlon also stock the Brose Light cables ! :)

Crockej

Feb 21, 2021
Oregon, USA
Wow! I had no idea this could be controversial! I'm just an old fart trying to get through the long wet winter in the PNW. I found it to be a fun project and it kept me occupied for a few days while I wait for the rain to end (though, this year, it may not ever end). I may or may not ever use it but it doesn't really matter. I thought someone else might find it interesting and didn't realize that some people are required to click on headings that don't seem to be of any interest to them. Enough said. I think I'll log out for awhile and let this thread die.

Wow! I had no idea this could be controversial! I'm just an old fart trying to get through the long wet winter in the PNW. I found it to be a fun project and it kept me occupied for a few days while I wait for the rain to end (though, this year, it may not ever end). I may or may not ever use it but it doesn't really matter. I thought someone else might find it interesting and didn't realize that some people are required to click on headings that don't seem to be of any interest to them. Enough said. I think I'll log out for awhile and let this thread die.
Cool project!

I understand both sides of the controversy, but I would appreciate a calmer and more understanding approach. Don't let this stop you from posting other interesting projects if you have any, we are all here to learn!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Apologies again from me. I thought your post was interesting and informative and didn't want it to just to be swept aside by an egocentric maniac (IMHO), especially as it was your first post !! I let my own frustrations get the better of me and should of handled it differently.

Don't be put off either posting to this thread or others. It's a great community and generally we all like to share ideas and thoughts.

Welcome to the Forum ! :unsure:o_O:ROFLMAO:?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles