A kickstand on a carbon full suspension bike?

bronces

Sep 11, 2019
France
Hello,
I am a photographer and I like to take my bike to go quickly to unlikely places.
I am considering purchasing a full suspension mountain bike (Levo).

It might be curious to you, but a kickstand is really useful for my job.

Would any of you fit a kickstand on a carbon full suspension bike?
Could you explain and send a picture?

Thank's a lot.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Its not normal but scott do weird things like this along with a mass of unnecessary lockout cables. I dont think any other manufactures have provision for a stand, might be wrong, its not high up my list of wants when choosing a bike :)

Screenshot 2021-05-11 092501.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
E bikes are heavy and if you are going offroad you will rarely find ground level or firm enough for a prop stand to be safe. The bike is far safer laid down or leant against a tree.

DirtyPete

Apr 28, 2021
Finland
There are lot of kickstands available for this kind of use. Friend uses Atran Velo PARKO rear mount kickstand on his full suspension emtb and it won't rattle even in rough downhills. We install quite a lot similiar stands for many type of mtb's and people have been happy with them.

Just make sure to get 3-bolt mounted version if your bike doesn't have bolt holes for it. This model is called "PARKO-Flex"
PARKO-FLEX.png

Reactions: Vas

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
I never thought about getting a kickstand for my mountain bikes, mainly because for my non-electric bikes they were just an added weight, and if we are spending £££'s on shaving grams off the weight of our peddles, why would we throw unnecessary weight back onto the bike? and a kickstand is just another thing to catch on rocks, roots, etc on the trail....

And I kept on with that thinking when I moved onto ebikes.... until my wife bought her first ebike, a trek powerfly, which came with a kickstand fitted by the LBS. How I scoffed at such an unnecessary addition... until we stopped off at various places along the route to admire the scenery, take pictures, have a coffee, etc. And then I found that instead of lying her bike in the mud, or leaning it against a low stone wall, or trying to balance it against the lone fence post, she would just drop the kickstand and walk away, and it would be right there waiting for her to get on when she came back, instead of having to pick it up (they get heavier the longer the ride) or check for paint chips.

So... after a few months, I realised that my Giant fathom pro came with fittings for a kickstand, and eventually bought the giant kickstand and fitted it and its great, one of the best £15 I've spent on that bike. I still worry about catching it on drops or rocks, but I haven't yet, and its just so easy to stand up when we stop in the middle of nowhere or near an old farmhouse, or just on top of a hill.

Get one.

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland
If the frame has A mount for the kickstand - then go for it - if it doesn’t then you risk ruining your frame by clamping a kickstand on. I think the benefit far outweighs others opinions And FWIW while I do not have a kickstand in my trek Rail (Which does have a two bolt mount BTW) I do have a kickstand on my Powerfly and I LOVE it, it is super convenient and useful and never in the way.

Jul 4, 2020
Surrey
Canyon had mounts for them but the 2021 bikes don’t have them. Unless you only ride in bike parks you should have a bell, how else do you alert walkers to your presence, shout at them like some kind of gravel bike tosspot?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
KTM EXC had sidestand that was secured with rubberband. No whatsoever problems ever.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Its not normal but scott do weird things like this along with a mass of unnecessary lockout cables. I dont think any other manufactures have provision for a stand, might be wrong, its not high up my list of wants when choosing a bike :)

Focus Thron² (all models) has a two bolt fitting as well. My wife's came with the stand fitted. Mate of mine took delivery of his earlier this month and that was the first thing he added ( ? )

RayD8r

Jun 12, 2023
Denver, CO.
I'd say that if one is not racing professionally or doing extreme riding where it could pose a safety issue, neither of which situation I have heard of anyone doing with ebikes, it's a perfectly good idea. After all what's the small addition of weight going to affect with a motorized bike especially compared to the weight of the battery?

I converted one of my old hardtails into an ebike with a conversion kit. I didn't have a stand on it before the conversion, it was not heavy do picking it up from laying down was easy. The battery weighs 4kg plus the other components and I added a rear cargo rack with saddle bags and now I carry a heavy duty cable lock and expanded my tool set and it was a beast to lift. It's a pretty old aluminum frame and I'm one who often tests my abilities when I see something that looks like it would be a fun challenge so the paint on it already has quite a share of blemishes which eliminates that as a concern even though any decent frame mounted stand will have rubber protectors that install between the bracket and the frame where it will be attached if the frame isn't set up for a stand.
My bike doesn't need to lifted up off the ground now and is so much easier to manage when locking up or doing repairs and adjustments. I got a center mount stand with 2 legs which lifts the bike up evenly and it's working out very well.

Last edited:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I would be very nervous of the stand falling on fast and/or gnarly trails. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen unless you are only riding relatively flat trails slowly, in which case why have a full suss. That's the thing with "mountain biking" it's different things to different people. I'm not really hard core, mostly blues and reds, but there is no way I would consider one on my Orbea Rise FS or any other FS for that matter.

I have to say I am surprised that there is not some form of clip on clip off option out there for those times when a stand may be viable.

Al

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne

View attachment 61182
you probably don't look like a hipster so not the type of person EMTB kickstands are targeted at.

If you don't have a macbook pro and you don't go to starbucks then you probably don't need that suspension travel either

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles