6’4’’ 300 LBs. Trek Rail 7 or Turbo Levo ?

DeweyWhopper

Nov 7, 2020
CA
6’4’’ 300lbs. Casual trail rider. Hardest ride will be something like The Flume in Lake Tahoe. But no jumps or big rock drops.

Given that style, which of those two have the appropriate geometry? Which is stronger for the weight / size? Any other bikes I should consider that make a XL or XXL?

Thanks!

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
Just and FYI, for the Trek Rail. I test rode one of those a couple times, and the one I was on appeared to have a motor issue. When I went a very steep spot on the test ride, with it in lowest gear and max boost, the motor seems to skip gears. Kind like using a drill to screw a fastening screw in and it hits full insertion, except it was much slower. It may have been just that one bike, but due to this I went with the Levo.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I tested the Rail and found it quite loud and the rotor noise was annoying, went with the Levo as it is super quiet. Go ride them both If you can, and see what works for you.

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
6’4’’ 300lbs. Casual trail rider. Hardest ride will be something like The Flume in Lake Tahoe. But no jumps or big rock drops.

Given that style, which of those two have the appropriate geometry? Which is stronger for the weight / size? Any other bikes I should consider that make a XL or XXL?

Thanks!
I’m 6’4” & 260lbs and love my 2021 Rail 7 XL. Can’t comment on the Spesh, never ridden one. You’ve got to try and ride both before you splash the cash. I’ve always had Trek bikes although I did have a brief foray on a Scott E-Aspect, that was a good bike and hit me hooked on emtb’s.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Just and FYI, for the Trek Rail. I test rode one of those a couple times, and the one I was on appeared to have a motor issue. When I went a very steep spot on the test ride, with it in lowest gear and max boost, the motor seems to skip gears. Kind like using a drill to screw a fastening screw in and it hits full insertion, except it was much slower. It may have been just that one bike, but due to this I went with the Levo.

Sounds like the free hub in the rear wheel was starting to fail on that trek you demod. That is obviously not how they are supposed to work.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK

You rode a broken bike and did not like it. Not sure what anybody learns from that.

The Levo is quieter but the motor more prone to failing ( great warranty so no worries about repair ). I test rode a bosch motor and was happy with the noise, so I went with a Rail after testing the Whyte E150.

Last edited:

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
Sounds like the free hub in the rear wheel was starting to fail on that trek you demod. That is obviously not how they are supposed to work.
It was a brand new bike. I'm quite sure it wasn't the freehub. Definitely coming from the motor. What I left out was that I repeated the same spot and same conditions at the same time, but varied the assist level. It was only in the max turbo that the problem occurred. I repeated it multiple times at all assist levels trying to isolate potential causes.

Last edited:

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
You rode a broken bike and did not like it. Not sure what anybody learns from that.

The Levo is quieter but the motor more prone to failing ( great warranty so no worries about repair ). I test rode a bosch motor and was happy with the noise, so I went with a Rail after testing the Whyte E150.
I rode a NEW bike that was broken, A NEW bike should not be broken PERIOD. That is a serious strike against Trek, PERIOD. As for the Levo motor, they have been updated to address said issues. Will those be adequate, that is unknown at this point. But I test rode several Levo's, Levo SL and Heckler, and none of those had a similar issue that he Trek Rail had. None of those had an issue at all in fact new off the floor. I will take my chances with a MAYBE problem down the road, as opposed to a definite problem now with a brand new $6000+ bike. With that said, I did not tell the OP not to buy Trek, just that I had an issue that sent me to the Levo. Did not say they were all that way, just that it was my experience and DID occur and the effect it had on my choice. You don't like it? Don't care.

Last edited:

559Enote

Jun 18, 2020
Fresno, CA
A brother from another mother! I'm same size. I went Levo w 700 battery. Since i will catch air I have beefed up the bike. Your problem will be sag. At max pressure, you will sit too deep in the suspension. You will be fine on the flume and the likes. But when you will venture into more techy stuff you will need more clearance. AND you will because w an ebike even big boys can climb! My rig is now the ultimate big boy bike. Alloy levo w 700 battery. Santa Cruz reserve 37mm rims I9 hubs. 220mm rotors magura pro7 brakes. DHX2 FOX w 800#/ib coil. Fox38 fork w 160mn travel. Go time baby.

20201012_191254.jpg

Last edited:

559Enote

Jun 18, 2020
Fresno, CA
Ps the motors are torque and power limited. If what the motor is limited at plus your power is not enough to keep the bike rolling it stops. The motor supports the crank.no matter if is a light guy need 90nm or a big guy.... all it does is 90nm. Makes sure to keep up the cadence and you will be fine. Mine is a 2019 and i have a motor replaced for free. No problem.

mxtyphoon

May 23, 2020
Wisconsin SW
I have a 2018 Trek and haven’t had any issues in over 2,000 miles. I see allot more motor issues with the Levo on this forum then I think you will have with a Bosch. I do here that the rear hub on the Trek is a weak spot, but haven’t had any issues myself.

DeweyWhopper

Nov 7, 2020
CA
A brother from another mother! Same size. I went Levo w 700 battery. Since i will catch air i have beefed up the bike. Your problem will be sag. At max pressure you will sit to deep in the suspension. You will be fine on flume and the likes. But when you will venture in to more techy stuff you will need more clearance. AND you will because w an ebike even big boys can climb! Ny rig is now the ultimate big boy bike.Alloy levo w 700 battery. Santa Cruz reserve 37mm rims I9 hubs. 220mm rotors magura pro7 brakes. DHX2 FOX w 800#/ib coil. Fox38 fork w 160mn travel. Go time baby.

View attachment 44403
Go aluminium frame S5 Kenevo or wait for S6

559, awesome beast of a bike! What rise and extension are your handlebars? Thanks.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
i am a bit lighter than you at 260lbs. I have a levo with the Fox dhx2 and a 700lbs spring, you would want the 800lbs spring. One thing no one mentioned, I would stay away from the Carbon fiber frame, go with the Alloy frame, just seems that as you will be at or over max weight I would think that the alloy would not care as much as the CF might. Either way you need the coil spring, If you go with air, you will need the volume reducer and when you get close to sag the shock will end up like a rock. With the coil that is not the case as you can get the 800lbs spring and you will be good. FYI I have a X-fusion coil shock I bought to try before I spent the big $ on the fox. I was going to list it on ebay again, if you get the levo and want to try a coil before you buy a Fox, I will sell it cheap to you

DeweyWhopper

Nov 7, 2020
CA
i am a bit lighter than you at 260lbs. I have a levo with the Fox dhx2 and a 700lbs spring, you would want the 800lbs spring. One thing no one mentioned, I would stay away from the Carbon fiber frame, go with the Alloy frame, just seems that as you will be at or over max weight I would think that the alloy would not care as much as the CF might. Either way you need the coil spring, If you go with air, you will need the volume reducer and when you get close to sag the shock will end up like a rock. With the coil that is not the case as you can get the 800lbs spring and you will be good. FYI I have a X-fusion coil shock I bought to try before I spent the big $ on the fox. I was going to list it on ebay again, if you get the levo and want to try a coil before you buy a Fox, I will sell it cheap to you

Thanks, great advice.

559Enote

Jun 18, 2020
Fresno, CA
Loam, what’s the S6?
Size for specialized. Look up their web page for dimensions. I have a 2019 Kenevo XL and a 2019 XL Levo - the le o is beasted out. The Kenevo is next in line. Kenevo is better out of the box for big rider but would be near comical on the flume trail. Like bringing a kanon to knife fight. Levo is the bike.
LP

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Don't let what Bad piggy said about Rails put you off. I would say he rode the one in ten thousand Bosch (not Trek) motors that have a problem. Spesh have had their motor problems but now are worked out.
I would make sure first, before you set your mind to one particular bike, that there are any in stock.

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
For your weight I would go for the biggest battery so Specialized. I ride with 3 friends who have them and like them. I am 6'2" 190 and on long climbs eat through the 504wh battery on my Santa Cruz Heckler pretty fast. I have to carry a spare battery. If you are not doing a lot of long climbs then battery capacity is less important. I am doing thousands of feet climbs. If I had to do it again I would have bought a Turbo Levo just for the battery. Also the Brose motor in the Levo is pretty powerful. They seem to be reliable now. Maybe the motor on the Trek is close? I have the Shimano E8000 on my Heckler and have a disadvantage on climbs due to the lower power on my older motor.

559Enote

Jun 18, 2020
Fresno, CA
559, awesome beast of a bike! What rise and extension are your handlebars? Thanks.
I have Renthal Fatbars full width. 40mm raise. and I to a 40mm stem on (I think). all those modes were done the day I bought the bike. It felt so small to me (first mtb ever and I had only ridden a Cervelo S5 road bike for the last 5 years). Now that I'm more used to the bike I need to get further back. In parks on jumps, I constantly have to push myself back the get the bike balanced. My plan is to keep the bar but go with an ultra short stem.

559Enote

Jun 18, 2020
Fresno, CA
A battery comments. Ft you can climb = a * battery size/weight. "a" is a function of your bike and support setting. I get 4000ft vertical climb support on a 700 battery and 2800 on the 500 and something original battery on the bike. If I reduce the assist and do a simple fire road riding with none ebikers I will much get more. I love going 18mph up a fire road and be fresh to drop in when I get to the top of the trail. For us big guys - big batteries are an important thing. If you plant flat fire roads no need for a big battery.

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
Don't let what Bad piggy said about Rails put you off. I would say he rode the one in ten thousand Bosch (not Trek) motors that have a problem. Spesh have had their motor problems but now are worked out.
I would make sure first, before you set your mind to one particular bike, that there are any in stock.
I just reported my experience, did not tell anyone what to do, unlike you. It is a negative experience, never tried to generalize beyond that, however you are. Everyone can take it however they like. I only provided an experience, and have no ideal of prevalence, and made no statement about prevalence at all. You however are. Just the same, I wish the OP well in whatever they go with.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
OP, Specialized sizing numbers on some bikes go to S5 but we might see this applied and expanded on new bikes to come. S6 would probably be around 530 reach.

CannonRob

May 14, 2020
NT Australia
Have you considered a Cannondale Moterra? I was looking at a Trek Rail 9 but couldn't get an XL in stock so went the Moterra 2. Couldn't be happier with a 625Wh Bosch motor, SRAM running gear, similar geometry and big 220 Magura brakes to help stop the big guys. I'm 6'3 but a svelte 230 pounds but for me a big deciding factor was the weight restriction for the Cannondale was 330lbs (not 300 like the alloy Trek) even if it has a carbon frame. Had it 6 months and couldn't be happier.:cool:

Mattzzzzzz

Oct 2, 2020
Nottingham UK
A brother from another mother! I'm same size. I went Levo w 700 battery. Since i will catch air I have beefed up the bike. Your problem will be sag. At max pressure, you will sit too deep in the suspension. You will be fine on the flume and the likes. But when you will venture into more techy stuff you will need more clearance. AND you will because w an ebike even big boys can climb! My rig is now the ultimate big boy bike. Alloy levo w 700 battery. Santa Cruz reserve 37mm rims I9 hubs. 220mm rotors magura pro7 brakes. DHX2 FOX w 800#/ib coil. Fox38 fork w 160mn travel. Go time baby.

View attachment 44403
Where can you get an 800lb Spring? I’m in the uk so may have to be international

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles