504 code after light wash Rail 7 Anybody have experience with that?

Mike a769

Sep 30, 2020
Norcal
Two weeks ago got a little mud on the bike I only wash with spray bottle,Wipe clean then put away, now bike comes on with code 504 but if you push+ seems normal However during pedal intermittent motor stutter.
LBS is super stacked lately. So any body have ideas?Bone stock bike 455miles

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
Two weeks ago got a little mud on the bike I only wash with spray bottle,Wipe clean then put away, now bike comes on with code 504 but if you push+ seems normal However during pedal intermittent motor stutter.
LBS is super stacked lately. So any body have ideas?Bone stock bike 455miles

You are probably aware by now, the 504 error code occurs when the system believes the speed sensor has been tampered with. The code however, can be activated without any tampering. This occurred on my Rail 7 immediately after going through a small puddle. I believe there are a couple options to remove the code. Have your LBS reset it, which I did. You can also ride a certain distance without any assist. I'm not sure if the exact requirements, but there are videos explaining the process, and several with creative ways to lessen the burden. One thing to be aware of, is the speed sensor is magnetized, so it may collect little metal brake pad shavings. So, keeping it clean reduces the likelihood of a false code. Mine hasn't reoccurred after several months. It may be inconvenient, but if you truly aren't tampering with the system imho, it shouldn't be a long term issue.

Floyd Pepper

Jul 22, 2020
Lebanon
One thing to be aware of, is the speed sensor is magnetized, so it may collect little metal brake pad shavings. So, keeping it clean reduces the likelihood of a false code.

That's an interesting one, thanks for sharing.
I was on a ride today and had my second 504 code experience, first one was 6 months back.
So tomorrow ill start my fix again with the handdril, to make it run idle, hopefully it will work like the previous time.

Unfortunately i am not able to go to a dealer as we don't have any in my country.
Truly wish Bosch would let us update from the app or provide/purchase an update kit (usb + cable) to do it ourselves.
If anything let us at least be able to reset it.

Here my previous post if it helps anybody:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
The update should stop false positive 504 errors yes .
After the 4th 504 the motor shuts down and can only be unlocked by BOSCH . They will also require correspondence from your legal representative explaining that you are riding your derestricted bike on private land . Because after 4 error codes it must be that you are derestricting the motor . And BOSCH have a commitment to the EU to not allow derestricted bikes on public roads or foot path and trails .

The error code count is stored in the firm ware and cannot be erased as far as I know .

Floyd Pepper

Jul 22, 2020
Lebanon
Wow i'm in a pickle..

On my second 504 error, No speed chips or tuned, all original and brand new cube hybrid reaction slt.
No dealer update possible due to living in Lebanon where dont have a dealer, shipped the bike from Cyprus.

Fun side note is that the restriction will not be necessary because im outside the EU or US ;)
(yes i understand the bikes come standard like this)

The hunt continues:

Shipping the engine and kiox to the dealer only?
Buying the dealership software and machine?
Hacking software?
Remote update options? remote desktop etc
Even considering buying a speed/tune chip perhaps? The Irony!
Dyeing my hair pink?

I'm going to fix this!

thread

May 5, 2021
Rotorua, New Zealand
There are so many countries in the world that don't have speed restrictions on e-bikes. Bosch and the e-bike manufacturers need to recognise that. Here in New Zealand there's no restriction but pretty much all the bikes imported have the speed set to the EU restriction. Ridiculous!

Reminds me of when the first motor cars came out and they had red flags waved in front to slow them down (Red flag traffic laws - Wikipedia).

Thankfully on my Bosch-powered e-bike, I have a Speedbox chip installed. Had it there almost from new. My bike has now covered more than 12000kms and the motor still feels like new. The Bosch motor can easily cope with the stress of the higher speeds (not like my rear wheel which regularly broke spokes).

If I was you, I'd get a Speedbox. You'll enjoy the bike so much more without hitting the wall @ 32kph.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles