Levo Gen 3 500wh Battery - Levo S-Works 2022 diet!

Villbass

Sep 23, 2019
Drammen, Norway
Does anyone know if a 500wh battery will fit the new 2022 Levos? Curious to try to get the weight down a bit on my S-Works 2022 for everyday riding, and use the 700 for longer days.

According to some measurements here on the forum this change should save about 700 grams.
To take it a bit further, a change from Fox 38 to 36 will save another 250 grams, and Float X2 vs DPX2 another 115. Add in another few more changes here and there, and there should be easy to slim it down more than 1 kg. Most of this is then in the front.

Love the bike, but for my kind of preferred riding, I think it is a bit heavy, especially in the front. At least compared to my last Heckler, and the 2020 Levo. I like to launch and jump on everything on the trail, pull the bars for short manuals, and do a lot of wheelies etc. The Levo 2022 works of course well for this, and I love the battery and motor, and it is a damn good bike for enduro riding and charge hard downhill etc, but it has lost some of it's playful character if you ask me - so Im looking to see if I can improve this a bit with some weight savings.

Could be a cool project! Thanks in advance for any input!

Thomas

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
As I understand it, the 700Wh battery from the 19/20 Levos fit if you swap the battery flap (may not be the right name). As the 500 and 700 battery from the 19/20 Levos are essentially the same externally it should fit just fine.

buy an SL instead :D
I'm not known for being a Levo fanboi but even I think that's a dumb idea... :ROFLMAO:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
As I understand it, the 700Wh battery from the 19/20 Levos fit if you swap the battery flap (may not be the right name). As the 500 and 700 battery from the 19/20 Levos are essentially the same externally it should fit just fine.

I'm not known for being a Levo fanboi but even I think that's a dumb idea... :ROFLMAO:
im just grumpy.. why buy a tank of a machine and make it lighter when you can just buy a lighter bike :D

j.e.

Jun 29, 2020
Germany
Dial the slow speed rebound a bit faster, this helps to lift the bike on small bumps etc…

• Agree
Reactions: KSL

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Because that would be too easy. We all like to tinker I think. :p
theres tinkering and then there's:
1629049174646.png

• Haha
Reactions: KSL

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Trail bikes make the best freeride dirt jump Mtb’s you just run the suspension at max air pressure/ stupid heavy springs.
Longer bikes are less playful , DH bikes are used for freeride mostly because we’re all lazy and like to get away with mistakes (especially after some beers) I’d hate to send a big-to-flat on my SL!!!
The only issue I see is if he’s 90+ kilo and really sending it I personally lack confidence in the SLs carbon layup. I can only imagine the orbea has even less carbon.

Interesting.....For myself, I find the SL to be a complete bobsled DH. I can push it hard and as long as I set my suspension up with some give, the 170's perform very well. I'm about 173lbs and the bike can handle my weight no problem. The bike begs to be pushed hard DH. IMO.

Villbass

Sep 23, 2019
Drammen, Norway
Thanks for the insight guys!

I have demoed the SL, and even if it's a nice and agile bike and has a playful character, it lacks too much in the motor department for my taste to be honest. My guess would be that this will get better in the next iteration. 50-60 NM is a minimum for an electric trail/enduro bike in my opinion.

I demoed an Orbea Rise this weekend, and have asked for a quote and delivery times for it today actually. However the punch of the Levo is of course something that is in another league, so something in between those two could also be good! That is why I wanted to try to slim down the 2022 Levo a bit to see how it turns out. Or else it will probably be the Rise instead.

If anyone could confirm that the battery fits, I will give it a try. Might get to test a battery from a friend. If so I will report back!

Thanks again!

Bencab

Feb 13, 2020
California
Thanks for the insight guys!

I have demoed the SL, and even if it's a nice and agile bike and has a playful character, it lacks too much in the motor department for my taste to be honest. My guess would be that this will get better in the next iteration. 50-60 NM is a minimum for an electric trail/enduro bike in my opinion.

I demoed an Orbea Rise this weekend, and have asked for a quote and delivery times for it today actually. However the punch of the Levo is of course something that is in another league, so something in between those two could also be good! That is why I wanted to try to slim down the 2022 Levo a bit to see how it turns out. Or else it will probably be the Rise instead.

If anyone could confirm that the battery fits, I will give it a try. Might get to test a battery from a friend. If so I will report back!

Thanks again!
I can confirm that it fits. I have both 700wh and 500wh batteries. You just have to change the plastic thingies at the top and bottom of the batteries.

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
Its my understanding that both the 500w and 700w batteries are interchangeable and useable with the new gen 3 bikes- but you would need to change the cover to the new version, so I cannot see why a 500W battery would not work? My LBS told me they will swap, so I am planning to try this when my long awaited S-works frame eventually arrives - just a year after being ordered- hopefully in September '21- having been delayed from May this year.

I have also specced a Fox 36, I have used that fork on my Gen 2 Turbo Levo in the Alps and the UK and found it more than man enough- but maybe its me thats not man enough? As I am 72 with two total knee replacements, I am not heavily into airborne travel, preferring to keep myself and bike planted!

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
Did you ever get the 500w battery, I'm considering buying one as as spare.
Any issues with fit and did you manage to get a new bash gaurd with the door cover.?
Thanks

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
I’m thinking of selling my 500wh and upgrading to a 700wh if anyone is interested in it? It’s from my late 2019 carbon comp, I need to check number of charges and miles etc, but it’s not a big number 😀 I travel around the uk a bit with work, so maybe able to meet up.

Barbs734

Aug 2, 2021
UK
I’ve just bought a used 500w gen 2 battery as a spare for my Gen 3 (with new bash kit fitted). Will it work straight away or do I need to get a shop to update firmware?

cañonaco

Feb 3, 2020
España
My Expert 22 has a Kenevo 2021 500 mounted, it works perfect!
You must change the Rockguard for version 2022.
I update the software of the battery before mounting it

Barbs734

Aug 2, 2021
UK
My Expert 22 has a Kenevo 2021 500 mounted, it works perfect!
You must change the Rockguard for version 2022.
I update the software of the battery before mounting it

I thought that you couldn’t update battery software yourself, had to be through dealer?

Barbs734

Aug 2, 2021
UK
Yes mine seems to work fine. There's an error message coming up on the Mission Control App but doesn't seem to effect it working so will just wait until I am at LBS next time and get them to update it.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Did you feel the difference? better handling ?
especially that those 700g less are in the most important place (close to a head tube).

stumpydumpy

Dec 15, 2020
Europe
If you want your Levo Turbo to be more lively, ever considered to swap to 27.5 in front?
Of course together with a 36 fork.
You will get closer to the gen 1 ;-)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles