Levo SL Gen 1 Levo sl diet?..

Signis

Aug 14, 2022
Norge
After 10 fun years with a stumpy fsr s-works i finally got myself a 2020 levo sl expert. Being a light rider I was happy to settle with carbon rims and the 34 fork. But, i still think the bike can be slimmed a bit without sacrificing performance.. Will transfer the carbon handle bar from my old bike but is there anything else I can do/change to lower the weight without destroying the performance?

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
start to think that is an ebike…a light ebike and enjoy it…stop thinking like you've been riding a stumpjumper..even with the extender is funny and handy.
if you are one of those who wants to ride with the motor turned off…then…why the ebike?

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
After 10 fun years with a stumpy fsr s-works i finally got myself a 2020 levo sl expert. Being a light rider I was happy to settle with carbon rims and the 34 fork. But, i still think the bike can be slimmed a bit without sacrificing performance.. Will transfer the carbon handle bar from my old bike but is there anything else I can do/change to lower the weight without destroying the performance?
If you only plan on riding XC or light trail riding and feel the fork and $hock are working for you, the other thing$ you can look at to reduce weight have been well documented in the LEVO $L OWNER$ THREAD (better drive train, $u$pen$ion, brake$, wheel$, tire$ etc) a$ every $econd po$t will be "how much doe$ it weigh?" Be prepared to $pend a large amount of ca$h to $ave a few hundred gram$ here and there with po$$ible performance gain$. I am quite happy with my Levo $L with all the mod$ that I have done on it which co$t me around $3000 (no carbon wheel$!). I hope you enjoy the ride!

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
I would dump th 34 and put a Pike or Lyric...Im not going into the performance difference between RockShox and Fox,
But the Pike is lighter than the 34 (not by much) and Stiffer , the same for the Lyric.

Then I would add a Enve carbon Stem, carbon bars and XTR Brakes Shifters and Cassette. . Perhaps a set of carbon cranks and wheels.
I would keep the decent rubber though... that's the first to go when you start going to light.
Also look at getting a 31.6" Dropper vs the 34 that comes on the bike and use a shim , there is almost a 120g difference between the sizes.

if you have the funds I think you can make the SL a very nice light bike.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
The trails I ride are pretty flat with no rocks so the original fork/suspension is fine for me. I ditched the 29" wheels for 27.5 and some light tires, that alone saved over a kg. Then I added two water bottles (90 degrees with 90% humidity is common here) and got all the weight back again. ;)

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
There's a guy on YouTube that built a 15.29kg SL. Racepoint Elite Shop. He did some extensive stuff. Like going to 180 rotor front. Removing the battery and running a extender battery. Lighter tires, etc. Serious coin! My SL weighs about 37lbs/17kg. XTR/XT drivetrain, XT dual pots, carbon rims and bars. I run stock Butcher and Eliminator tires. Lighter tires can save a lot. Not a good idea if you ride rocky or do a lot of air time.

I haven't been on my SL since I got a Gen 3. It feels much lighter then you'd think. Plus beaucoup power! I had to get a rack though. Wrestling a 50lb beast into my KIA Soul was no easy task. Ah but I'm working it should have it down to 47, like that matters.

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
There's a guy on YouTube that built a 15.29kg SL. Racepoint Elite Shop. He did some extensive stuff. Like going to 180 rotor front. Removing the battery and running a extender battery. Lighter tires, etc. Serious coin! My SL weighs about 37lbs/17kg. XTR/XT drivetrain, XT dual pots, carbon rims and bars. I run stock Butcher and Eliminator tires. Lighter tires can save a lot. Not a good idea if you ride rocky or do a lot of air time.

I haven't been on my SL since I got a Gen 3. It feels much lighter then you'd think. Plus beaucoup power! I had to get a rack though. Wrestling a 50lb beast into my KIA Soul was no easy task. Ah but I'm working it should have it down to 47, like that matters.
Would love to see a some details pictures of the two. And also your progress on your Gen 3 build.
Im thinking of getting the entry gen3 carbon (as most of the parts ill be replacing anyways so no point in getting a higher spec)
Do you really need a 38 on the gen 3? My Lyric has handles everything on my 25kg alloy Gen 2. ?
Sorry to take this thread off topic.

Decolocsta

Aug 10, 2022
Germany

agree, i have the gen3 Levo and SL.
And the Gen3 feels so Light.
No other Full Power ebike felt that Light upfront like the mk3 levo does.

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
Would love to see a some details pictures of the two. And also your progress on your Gen 3 build.
Im thinking of getting the entry gen3 carbon (as most of the parts ill be replacing anyways so no point in getting a higher spec)
Do you really need a 38 on the gen 3? My Lyric has handles everything on my 25kg alloy Gen 2. ?
Sorry to take this thread off topic.
I did the same for both bikes. I bought Comp Carbons and changed out parts. It ended up costing me less then buying a higher priced model. Plus I got what I wanted on both bikes. The Fox Performance 34 that came stock on the SL is a decent fork. But it lacks small bump compliance that i need. I switched to a Float 36 with 160mm of travel. If I did it again I'd get 150mm of travel. I feel it took a bit the steering precision with the 10mm extra. After changing the fork the short comings of the shock arise. So a Fox Float X replaced it. I had XTR/XT drivetrain and brakes on another bike so I switched them. The wheels are XTR 900 hubs with DT Champion spokes and Nextie carbon rims. I recently got a Renthal stem and One Up carbon bars fot the SL. I crashed and gouged the old carbon bars.
20220806_095959.jpg

Here's the boys meeting for the first time. Big Bud Green and Sailor Jerry.
20220806_125736.jpg

The Fox 38 was waiting for Sailor Jerry when he got here. I scored the 38 for $1000 new on Ebay. The first ride was with this setup.
20220809_090748.jpg

Next a Deity stem and bars.
20220820_192644.jpg

20220821_191206.jpg

Then a Dyedbro frame wrap hence the Sailor Jerry theme. We both have tats.
20220819_211251.jpg

I scored these on Ebay. The Nextie rims should be here in the next couple of days. Nextie is a great place to get carbon rims. $500US for 2 rims.

I also found Sram AXS XO1 for cheaper then GX. So what the hell! I just sold a couple of bikes and I'm cash rich,... well I was. Now I'm parts rich. The shock on the Gen 3 is pretty decent. It might not get changed,...yeah right.😎 I found the AXS on Bikeinn. Great place for good deals.

20220823_101233.jpg

20220820_192613.jpg

Last edited:

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
Remember the SL is a underpowered full fat. There are plenty out there getting big air. The frame is tough. At that weight and your weight I'd look at the wheels. To light of spokes can make a wheel flex or distort. Carbon rims are good and with strong spokes your wheel will track straight and true.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
No She’s neglected. I moved closer to work so it sits a lot. It has 38 and x2 now. Prob 20km on new motor from January. also I’ve been away more than 2 weeks a month this year. So if I’m gonna ride It’ll be a dedicated jump bike. Maybe next year….
Now it has some decent suspension on it, its good to go every where your hands can hang on. Happy jumping 🦘!

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
I did the same for both bikes. I bought Comp Carbons and changed out parts. It ended up costing me less then buying a higher priced model. Plus I got what I wanted on both bikes. The Fox Performance 34 that came stock on the SL is a decent fork. But it lacks small bump compliance that i need. I switched to a Float 36 with 160mm of travel. If I did it again I'd get 150mm of travel. I feel it took a bit the steering precision with the 10mm extra. After changing the fork the short comings of the shock arise. So a Fox Float X replaced it. I had XTR/XT drivetrain and brakes on another bike so I switched them. The wheels are XTR 900 hubs with DT Champion spokes and Nextie carbon rims. I recently got a Renthal stem and One Up carbon bars fot the SL. I crashed and gouged the old carbon bars.
View attachment 95731
Here's the boys meeting for the first time. Big Bud Green and Sailor Jerry.
View attachment 95732
The Fox 38 was waiting for Sailor Jerry when he got here. I scored the 38 for $1000 new on Ebay. The first ride was with this setup.
View attachment 95733
Next a Deity stem and bars.
View attachment 95735
View attachment 95737
Then a Dyedbro frame wrap hence the Sailor Jerry theme. We both have tats.
View attachment 95738
I scored these on Ebay. The Nextie rims should be here in the next couple of days. Nextie is a great place to get carbon rims. $500US for 2 rims.

I also found Sram AXS XO1 for cheaper then GX. So what the hell! I just sold a couple of bikes and I'm cash rich,... well I was. Now I'm parts rich. The shock on the Gen 3 is pretty decent. It might not get changed,...yeah right.😎 I found the AXS on Bikeinn. Great place for good deals.

View attachment 95740

View attachment 95734
Dude, you have some really nice bikes ... Congrats.

Out of all the gen3 Levo's I like the comp carbon colour the best. That's the one id take and then Zeb it, (black with white decals to match the frame) and carbonfy the wheels and cockpit. XTR brakes and I think its better than a S-works.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles