4 days Old - 9 inches of Scratches

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I was washing the loose mud off my Cube Stereo 160 Actionteam this afternoon, leant the bike against a low garden wall, unlocked the back door, and the bike fell onto the wall sliding along the top tube. - you have no idea how wounded I feel. I am not used to the weight of an ebike and look what I have done :(

Can this be retouched?

View attachment 132489

If this was an older bike I wouldn't bother, but I feel so hurt right now. I look after my bikes / all kit in my life. I have never done such a stupid thing.... errgh

Is this something a car paint shop could do (for example)?
Ouch, Maybe when you have it sorted you should invest in an invisiframe kit or similar.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
I bought an official paint pen when I bought my Whyte 4 years ago. The bikes picked up scratches, the worse from my wifes bike whilst both in my van, and the paint pen has remained un-opened. I just ride it.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I was washing the loose mud off my Cube Stereo 160 Actionteam this afternoon, leant the bike against a low garden wall, unlocked the back door, and the bike fell onto the wall sliding along the top tube. - you have no idea how wounded I feel. I am not used to the weight of an ebike and look what I have done :(

Can this be retouched?

View attachment 132489

If this was an older bike I wouldn't bother, but I feel so hurt right now. I look after my bikes / all kit in my life. I have never done such a stupid thing.... errgh

It does make you mad being the top tube, it's staring in the face any other place not as bad, but if you looking after your bike and trying to keep it
Looking like new, then it's a case if your confident in repairing it yourself get the Cube touch up pens, it makes sense.
Failing that find a body repair shop where you live and get them to sort it

I suppose I'm s bit lucky the business my family run has a spray shop and I use it to make good any damage.
Must admit these protective films are a bonus for protection 👌

Anyway good luck with your outcome

CannonFodder

Jul 5, 2022
N. Ireland
Pity you can't fit a side-stand, would save searching for somewhere semi-safe to lean the bike.

I'm a bit late but I'd just sticker over the worst bits.

Good luck with the fix.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
leant the bike against a low garden wall, unlocked the back door, and the bike fell onto the wall sliding along the top tube. - you have no idea how wounded I feel. I am not used to the weight of an ebike and look what I have done :(
I did the exact same thing. Low wall, and could have easily laid it down on its side, but no, up against the wall, using a pedal on top of the wall to help keep it upright.
Looked back and it had like yours slid down, scratching the side frame and also the fork lowers.
Could have been worse, could have scored the stanchions which would have had me in tears.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I suppose it a bonus having an unpainted frame like the Pole
Kind of, Scratches are less obvious but they still happen.

My mates convinced me you didn't need protective wrap because its raw alloy. I also thought the machines lines look would hide scratches more. But actually it accentuates it compared to raw alloy tube frame. On a tube frame you can get out the autosol and polish it back up. Scratches are still visible on the machines look even after polishing.

My first real ride was in the mud and grime for 3 hours. My knee pads scratched up the top tube one the very first ride.
Farken disappointed

My mates were wrong. Protective wrap needed to be applied.

1705785248739.png

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California

Can this be retouched?

View attachment 132489

You can usually get the paint color/finish info from the bike manufacturer (not most bike shops) and take that info to local automotive paint dealer to get a pint or so of suitable product, I did this with Santa Cruz couple years back.
I recommend checking out some auto finishers for application… I suggest getting in contact with local car clubs since they often get smaller custom body accessories like spoilers, wings painted for their vehicles.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
You can usually get the paint color/finish info from the bike manufacturer (not most bike shops) and take that info to local automotive paint dealer to get a pint or so of suitable product, I did this with Santa Cruz couple years back.
I recommend checking out some auto finishers for application… I suggest getting in contact with local car clubs since they often get smaller custom body accessories like spoilers, wings painted for their vehicles.
Additional advice, wait about 30 days for new paint to cure, then get ahold of Invisiframe (I think they're British) and wrap your bike.

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
Yes thats good advice. I went to a paint shop, but I also went to my bike shop today. I explained I was getting some Cube paint and was told to use a matchstick to apply it, not a paint brush. Also to do it very carefully and in very small amounts, to build up / flood the paint into the scratches.

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
Ouch, Maybe when you have it sorted you should invest in an invisiframe kit or similar.
I will seriously look into protecting certain parts of the frame. Luckily the Cube has a large plastic battery downtube coverand also plastic on a lot of other back parts of the frame, that I can't name as I am not that knowledgeable!

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I will seriously look into protecting certain parts of the frame. Luckily the Cube has a large plastic battery downtube coverand also plastic on a lot of other back parts of the frame, that I can't name as I am not that knowledgeable!
It's worth the investment for piece of mind, your only conundrum now is do you buy a gloss or matte finish?

scrufy

Jan 29, 2024
So Cal
The first scratch is always traumatizing, but... now you can ride it like it was meant be ridden and not sweat it.
If not, what a great place for a sticker!
But seriously, you can get creative.
Look on Amazon for vinyl. The kind they use to wrap cars. It comes in colors, carbon look, anything you want.
Get a small roll of it a meter long and cut out a nice contrast design and stick it on.
Will look like it was meant to be there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles