Kenevo Gen1 36T chain ring nowhere near fitting on an XL Gen1 2018/19 Kenevo

Lime-Kenevo

Aug 12, 2021
Australia
After pouring through the threads here looking to upgrade the 32T to a 36T chainring on a 2018 Kenevo, it looked like it was possible with examples of 2018 and 2020 models of Levo and Kenevo:

The general consensus was that even with medium sizes there was still clearance with the chainstay and it wouldn't interfere.
I went with a Wolftooth 36T 104BCD (Drop-Stop A) on the advice of Tori and VaseLEVO:

Here's the exact one:

104 BCD Chainrings

I installed it with the crank on using 1x bolts and there's no way a 36T will fit here. It's pretty much touching the chainstays on my XL frame. The only way is to ramp up the preload on the spring to get enough clearance so that it'll fit, but even then it's less than a credit card of distance.

Anyway, no hardship really, just thought I'd leave this here as a precaution to anyone else following the same advice on these threads. Fitting seems to be specific to which model (Levo/Kenevo), frame size, and gen/year of manufacture. There might even be something in it with the different tooth profiles (Drop-Stop ST for Shimano 12-speed Hyperglide+ chains, Drop-Stop A for SRAM Eagle and everything else).

That said, if i'm missing something to get the 36T to fit.... let me know?

IMG_6667.jpeg

IMG_6642.jpeg

IMG_6655.jpeg

IMG_6650.jpeg

MJR

May 12, 2020
USA
36 will fit on a Levo, but definitely not on a 2018/19 Kenevo, 34 max due to that chain stay design.

Lime-Kenevo

Aug 12, 2021
Australia
Just found a guy who has a Praxis 36T chainring running on a 2018/2019 Kenevo!

Not my photos so I won't share, but there's 2mm clearance there easily on his chain stay. Will try to source one locally and report back next week with an update

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
This is a bit OT, but can someone educate me on why some bikes don't accommodate bigger rings? The 38t on my Haibike still has loads of room around it. I have no idea how big it could go, but I reckon even 42t would be doable.

There must be benefits of using a frame/swingarm which restricts the chainring options otherwise they wouldn't do it, but I don't know what it could be. Is it something to do with wanting shorter chainstays?

Lime-Kenevo

Aug 12, 2021
Australia
This is a bit OT, but can someone educate me on why some bikes don't accommodate bigger rings? The 38t on my Haibike still has loads of room around it. I have no idea how big it could go, but I reckon even 42t would be doable.

There must be benefits of using a frame/swingarm which restricts the chainring options otherwise they wouldn't do it, but I don't know what it could be. Is it something to do with wanting shorter chainstays?

Chainstay length would have been my first thought but the YT Decoy Shred runs a 36T and the chainstays are 1mm shorter than a Kenevo Expert... Presumably, it's got more to do with design rather than restrictions. Which model Haibike are you running?

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Chainstay length would have been my first thought but the YT Decoy Shred runs a 36T and the chainstays are 1mm shorter than a Kenevo Expert... Presumably, it's got more to do with design rather than restrictions. Which model Haibike are you running?

Yeah I don't know. I guess the Kenevo designers simply decided that their suspension design took more priority than the ability to play with rings. I am surprised though, unless you are designing a full-on DH bike where you know the rider is unlikely to want a bigger ring and suspension takes precedence over most things, I think the designers are potentially putting their eggs in one basket a bit.
Mine is a 2020 AllMtn 3.0. I know one thing, the 38t thats on it is just about bang on for me. Theres no way I would want to go smaller and truth be told, if it was dongled I would want a 40 or bigger. I was lucky really, I didn't look into what rings fitted what bikes when I bought it, I'm glad I didn't end up with something that took a 34t max. It's partly why I posted the question - I had no idea that some bikes had a strict limit on ring size. I had a 32t on my analogue Trance and span out all the time on that. I sold it for the Haibike before I ever got the chance to look into the gearing so this thread has been interesting.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles