Chainring replacement how to ..

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
There's been a bit of discussions on the chainring sizes and replacements so I thought I'd document the procedure for the folks who are unsure what to do ..
These are the bits that I bought, I stuck with Praxis having the Wave Tech, as the original chainring had this..
  1. Praxis Works MTB Wave Tech Chainring LINKY
  2. M8 Single Chainring Bolts LINKY
Tools required 4mm & 6mm Allen Keys
Loctite Thread Lock
PVC Tape
Flat scraper

First off with a 4mm allen key undo the chain guide don't remove the bolt.
Then with a 6mm allen key remove the chainring bolts, and slide the chainring off the spider, it's a bit of a faf but it'll come off.
DSC_0172 (2018-07-18T15_53_29.000).JPG

Old and the new
DSC_0173 (2018-07-18T15_55_04.000).JPG

The original chainring had threaded inserts, replacement ones do not hence new chainring bolts
DSC_0175 (2018-07-18T15_55_55.000).JPG

You'll need to use some tape to hold the nuts into the chainring to make it easier locating the bolts once fitted.
DSC_0177.JPG

DSC_0178 (2018-07-18T15_57_33.000).JPG

New chainring now in place and ready for the bolts
DSC_0182 (2018-07-18T16_00_07.000).JPG

Here's the scraper holding the back of the nut whilst tightening the bolt, with threadlock applied to the threads of the bolt first. Nip up as tight as you can further tightening will be done later once the chain is on and you can then get more leverage.
DSC_0183 (2018-07-18T16_03_18.000).JPG

On the Praxis Wave Tech rings the chain has to go on a specific way
DSC_0191 (2018-07-18T16_09_42.000).JPG

Finally nip up the bolts and don't forget to position the chain guide and retighten!

Here's how the 36T ring looks with the original chain.
DSC_0194.JPG

Time to do this around 30 mins :)

Last edited:

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Thanks Mike - great write up.

One question though - you say the the chain has to go on a specific way.... what do you mean?

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Great info, could I suggest that you make shure that the chain isn't too short if you increase the chain ring size, especially important with full suspension rigs.

I asked in the other thread, have people kept the same chain length - stock was 116 links. I have just put on a Wolf Tooth 36T chainring, and I'm not sure if I should fit up a longer chain. I have a full length 118 link chain that I could use. Any advice?

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Mines fine with the stock chain, could always use a pair of quick links??

Yeah good point - I'm just not sure what's too tight with a chain. I haven't taken it for a spin today, but I have moved up and down through the gears and it shifts sweet and in the big cog there is still a bit of flex in the chain, I think it could be OK as is.

Stretch

Feb 11, 2018
UK, Fleet
Yeah good point - I'm just not sure what's too tight with a chain. I haven't taken it for a spin today, but I have moved up and down through the gears and it shifts sweet and in the big cog there is still a bit of flex in the chain, I think it could be OK as is.
I changed mine to 36T a few weeks ago and have not had any issues with the standard stock chain (no additional links added).

Last edited:

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK

Do you use the rear big ring much Tori ? as I still find Im not utilizing the 2 top end rings still

strugla

Founding Member
Feb 8, 2018
Spain
My only experience with this is with clockwork bikes but the potential hazard to your wallet remains the same with an ebike.

Put your bike in it's 2nd biggist cog at the rear and let out all of the air from your shock. Now flip the bike upside down and collapse the suspension (simulating a big hit) and whilst pedaling shift to the largest cog. This will replicate the maximum chain growth that your bike will experience. If your happy with what you see and there is no danger to your mech, chain or mech hanger put the air back in the can and you're good to go. If not then you will need to replace or lengthen the chain by any of the methods above.

Riders with coil spring suspension could unbolt one end of the shock.

Re reading this it seems a bit of a lecture but I once had to lash up a bike as a single speed to get home , (chain was too short). Hmm did I just invent a new market sector, SS ebike?

bigborett

Jul 17, 2018
Australia
Tried my Ethirteen 36tooth today. Seemed really good. missed a couple of changes, but I'll adjust that.

The Ethirteen's are nice and thick for an alloy sprocket also. That was what made the decision for me, that and I could get it in red.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Tried my Ethirteen 36tooth today. Seemed really good. missed a couple of changes, but I'll adjust that.

The Ethirteen's are nice and thick for an alloy sprocket also. That was what made the decision for me, that and I could get it in red.
Andrew, just back the B-Tension screw off a little bit on your rear mech. Going from 32 to 36T you have increased your chain tension. I found just backing off a bit, the shifts are super smooth and crisp all through the cassette.

bigborett

Jul 17, 2018
Australia
Andrew, just back the B-Tension screw off a little bit on your rear mech. Going from 32 to 36T you have increased your chain tension. I found just backing off a bit, the shifts are super smooth and crisp all through the cassette.
I did do that Tori, may just have to tweak it again.(y)

Dajafe

Aug 5, 2018
Dorset, UK
Thanks Mike, a great write up and just what I was looking for.

But...I have the stock pedals (SBC-54 - Bennies?) and cannot get the 32T ring over it. Do you need to remove the pedals?
I cannot shift the little blighter - any advice?

Up to that point it went like clockwork.
Looking forward to getting the 36T fitted.

bigborett

Jul 17, 2018
Australia
Thanks Mike, a great write up and just what I was looking for.

But...I have the stock pedals (SBC-54 - Bennies?) and cannot get the 32T ring over it. Do you need to remove the pedals?
I cannot shift the little blighter - any advice?

Up to that point it went like clockwork.
Looking forward to getting the 36T fitted.

Yes you will have to take the pedal off. Unless maybe if you run clipless. Remember one pedal is right hand thread while the other is left hand.
Even with the pedal off I really had to juggle to get the ring on. It will depend on the internal size and shape of your new ring.

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
Thanks to all for the tips in this thread! I put a Raceface 36T on my Turbo Levo Carbon Comp. The factory 32T slipped off and the 36T went on with a little bit of puzzle solving skills. Never had to break the chain or remove the clipless pedals. I put steel chainring bolts on and used blue threadlocker. I used some masking tape to hold the backing bolts in while I got the ring aligned. I really like the 36T much better. I was spinning out downhill with the 32 and now seem to be hitting about 110 cadence at 30mph. I can live with that. On the low end on high teens slopes I'm going to be losing traction on dirt before I need a lower gear than the stock cassette and a 36T so no loss for me there. Very happy with this setup.

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
[
What Brand is that? I like the colors. Good match with the purple blue color changing Carbon Comp model. I put a Racefacce on mine and really like the 36T better. I Would like to source a steel one if someone knows of it please chime in?

One note likely known by all but me, is that the jockey pulley on the Sram rear mech is narrow wide. Never had one like that before on all my Shimano stuff but this is my first sram rear mech. Gave me some fits as I couldn't source the strange noise and it has slipped 1 tooth and was riding high. No damage or problem but likely won't shift if it's off and makes an ugly noise.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles