29 x 2.40 tires

Crave 05

Feb 2, 2022
Barcelona (Spain)
Hello from Spain, my Megamo Crave 05 AL '21 (all mountain) has 29 x 2.60 tires, the bike rides very well but I feel lazy when moving it, especially when I stand up, my idea is to put tires of 29x2.40.

Will I feel more agility with the tire change or will the 25 kg weight of the bike make me not notice the change?

With 25 kg of bicycle and my 82 kg, is 2.60 better and safer than 2.40?

Thanks.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
its not better or worse.. ive got three sets of tyres, 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6
I ride a lot of rock so I usually have the 2.6 on
when I have the 2.4 the bike feels different, its definitely more direct or 'pointy' - sorry I dont know how to describe it but as you say, the larger tyres are more lazy feeling and the thinner tyres are a little more responsive to input

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Simply increase your tyre pressures and the added support and reduction in tyre sidewall squirm/give will give you an imediate increase in nimbility, pop and a more direct faster feeling reaction to your input. (especially with the rear tyre). But at a detriment to grip the higher psi you go. You can't have EVERYTHING!

Ps. It's a marketing fallacy that you need to go up to 2.6" tyres and wider rims for rocky terrain. They can make slower clumsier less confident riders feel more stability and control but under a more skilled rider their negatives kinda outweigh the benefits.
If you're reasonably skilled and posess an ounce of finesse on a bike purchase your next set of tyres in a max width of 2.4 or 2.5 when the 2.6s wear out.

Crave 05

Feb 2, 2022
Barcelona (Spain)
Hello again.

First of all, thank you very much for your answers.

I have had several hardtail xc, full suspension trail and now I have a cyclocross and the Ebike (it is my first ebike).

Being used to the handling of normal bikes for so many years I would like to improve the Megamo but as Gary says, you can't have everything.

I am aware that it is 25 kgs, the geometry of the frame is all mountain, very wide tires and it is normal that it is a bit lazy when moving it and I wanted to try the 2.4 wide tires.

I also said it in case the 2.4 measurement was dangerous on such a heavy bike, but I see that it is not.

Thanks again guys.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I always found 2.6 tyres comfy ona long adventure ride but vague on more technical singletrack, so changed to 2.4 which are far more directional albeit you lose a little bit of tyre suspension comfort.

Crave 05

Feb 2, 2022
Barcelona (Spain)
Hello.

Perfect Mickerb, thank you very much for your feedback.

In the end it's about having a balance, I also want comfort on long routes but if with the 2.4 I only lose a little comfort and gain agility I will be happy, when the tire change comes I will take it into account.

Regards.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles