Issues with Maxxis tires

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
So the last 3 Maxxis tires I've purchased have had massive wobbles in them. Aggressor DD, Assegai DD and Minion DHR. Has anyone else been seeing issues like this with their Maxxis recently. I run Rimpact inserts, but I don't think that's the issue.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Nah. I've run a handful of Maxxis tires recently, with no problems. A DHR II, three DHF's, and a Minion. All ran perfectly straight.

cemoz

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Yes I have with Assegai and Minion DHF, bought two of each both Assegai’s wobble and one Minion. Different bikes same 27.5 DT Swiss wheel setups though. All tyres were set up with soapy water and seated properly all popped, at first I thought it might be the Tannus inserts. I removed them and they still do it, thankfully one of the Minions is good as the wobble on the front tyre of my ebike was driving me nuts.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I had this happen with a DHF recently. I transferred it from a DT Hybrid wheel to a handbuilt wheel and it had a definite wobble afterwards. Pumping it up to 40psi didn't help. I took it back off and completely redid the tape, but it still wobbled with no change. Pumped it up to 40 psi again, still no dice. I finally threw on a new DHF and it was fine.

Either Maxxis DHF beads genuinely need soapy water or perhaps the beads are a bit fragile and were damaged when I transferred wheels.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I work at a shop and we've had multiple customers get wobbles in their Maxxis tires, the common denominator with all of them is tire inserts.
I don't run inserts with my tubeless setup and haven't had any issues with my Maxxis tires.

Could be a coincidence, but it's happened to half a dozen customers.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
There are as good or better options these days for tires. Maxxis wobble has been a thing for a number of years now. Not all of them but they seem to have more bad batches then other brands. I like inserts around the mts here. Sometimes i want to drop the psi for steep slabs , sometimes rocks get snashed.
I have michelin dh 22, dh 34(dh casing and bike park casing), wild rockr2, shwalbe big betty (2.4 and 2.6, super gravity and super downhill soft compound) and theyre all better than the maxxis ive had for a variety of reasons. I have some new 2.6 spesh grid gravity casing butcher t9 and eliminator t7/t9 ill be mounting up next and i bet there atleast as good as any maxxis in the sake category. Had bontrage g5's and i liked them better than dhf's too.
Maxxis still has a bit of a monopoly in stores because people have been using them for a while so shops carry the bulk of their tire stock as maxxis because people buy what they know. Other brands have caught , and in a lot of cases, surpassed them in technology. Most other brands can be cheaper too. Michelin and spesh can be had much cheaper.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I’m just a weekend warrior sort of rider and I’ve tried many different tyre manf and I’ve always migrated back to Maxxis and nearly always to High Roller II’s because they roll well, are very predictable and wear well plus are very easy to fit and seal tubeless with my track pump. With the DD casings there is extra side wall stiffness and protection. I agree that they bloody expensive though.

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
Hello, yes I had this happen, but it was ok to start with, then after a peaks ride I noticed that It had warped badly, i tried it on 3 wheels and it was the same on them, no inserts fitted. Took it back to the shop and they said that they had had a few back. Waiting for a replacement or refund.

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
Also had it with one Assegai DH in 29" about a year ago shop replaced it and said they have never seen it on an Maxxis tire.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have been lucky never to have a had a tyre that was a faulty moulding. (Apart from those two Continental Trail Kings that tore at the bead).

The only problems I've ever had with wobbly tyres, even if I pumped them up until they banged loudly onto the beads, was if I didn't ensure the beads were set properly. There is a line around the tyre on each side, close to the bead, which should be parallel to the rim. I always check the line for parallel after inflation. Only occasionally do I get one that needs attention usually only on one side.

If the lines are not parallel to the rim, just reduce the pressure to a few psi and manhandle the tyre until the line is parallel to the bead. Then inflate to your required pressure.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
see it all the time with 29" Maxxis

Never seen a single wobble in 20 years with 26" maxxis

make of that what you will

1624571567144.jpeg

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I had wobbles with Continental. I guess even good manufacturers do some batches that have problems. Over about 5 years i read about this subject on maybe 4-5 manufacturers.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
So the last 3 Maxxis tires I've purchased have had massive wobbles in them. Aggressor DD, Assegai DD and Minion DHR. Has anyone else been seeing issues like this with their Maxxis recently. I run Rimpact inserts, but I don't think that's the issue.
People often only mention the pop when seating a new tyre, there's also a line above the bead, the rim should be an equal distance away from said line to ensure the tyre is seated / balanced correctly, no matter the brand the principal is the same, pops one thing, balance is another.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Call me insensitive but when I am riding down a steep, rocky/rooty trail (cushcore @ 20 PSI) at 5-15 kph, I don't even notice the wobble in the tire. I DO notice the wobble when I am riding down a paved road at 30-40 kph. I have had the tire off several times and am getting pretty good at installing Cushcore but I have come to the conclusion that the effort in trying to fix it or pay for a LBS ($40 per wheel to install Cushcore since I didnt buy the tires there!!) is just not worth the cost in time or money. Your mileage, speed and sensitivity may vary.

Traveler99

Apr 30, 2020
Sammamish, WA
I had a wobble once on a High Roller II after remounting due to crash/ wheel damage. It was fine before. The last two Maxxis tires I have mounted were installed with cushcore inserts and went on easily without a hitch and no wobbles. HUGE improvement over the stock Levo tires.

RocratRacing

Aug 25, 2020
Friendcamwinch7@
I purchased 6 29er DH casing Maxxis tires , 2x Assagai , 2x Dissector and 2x DHR2 , only one tire was straight out of the bunch . It’s absolute BS that a massive tire manufacturer like Maxxis can’t produce a straight tire or have a proper QC department in place to stop shipping bad tires .

VeloSwiss

Mar 15, 2021
Switzerland
I always use soapy water to seat the tubless tyres. Just had a bad time with a Minion DHF 29X2.5 fitted on rear of my Levo SL. I know its supposed to be a front only tyre but I didnt have a Highroller II to fit and was desperate to get out for a ride. Split the sidewall on its first ride. Very unhappy :mad: Maxxis aint what they used to be!
IMG_2039.jpeg

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Had an Assegai with a wobble recently and it was just fine to ride — says more about me, no doubt ? Changed to a DHF for better rolling and no wobble.

Does this mean anything?

Nope….

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Had an Assegai with a wobble recently and it was just fine to ride — says more about me, no doubt ? Changed to a DHF for better rolling and no wobble.

Does this mean anything?

Nope….
To me it means buying from a shop who knows me is a good idea.
It improves my chances to have it replaced for free.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Have had one DHF with a wobble. Fitted properly. Refitted, even. No insert. It was slight but I could see it. I couldn't feel it though, on any surface so I rode until it died like any other tyre.

Gordon

MMBB

Jan 26, 2020
Sydney Australia
Yep had 3 warranty claims with Maxxis tyres in the last year. Will not buy them again , one had a egg/bubble on a new tyre,one had a massive wobble on a new tyre and one leaked in the side wall. Have gone to schwalbe tyres now.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Might be a cheng shin mass manufacturing quality conyrol thing. They make maxxis, spesh and bonti tires. Back when intense tires were the shit they switched manufacturers and went to cheng shin. Went from "the shit" to "total shit" in a year. Side knobs would rip off in groups of 8 or 10 like high rollers did, maybe still do. High rollers are the stillettos of mtb tires, or so ive been told..... nttiawwt(not that there is anything wrong with that)?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Might be a cheng shin mass manufacturing quality conyrol thing. They make maxxis, spesh and bonti tires. Back when intense tires were the shit they switched manufacturers and went to cheng shin. Went from "the shit" to "total shit" in a year. Side knobs would rip off in groups of 8 or 10 like high rollers did, maybe still do. High rollers are the stillettos of mtb tires, or so ive been told..... nttiawwt(not that there is anything wrong with that)?
It sounds like when i was a student, lots of problems at the A and W i was and it came from super fast employees turnaround. You can be in training the first day, next day you were training a new person. Without proper training employees are not respecting all the steps so the result varies a lot.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
It sounds like when i was a student, lots of problems at the A and W i was and it came from super fast employees turnaround. You can be in training the first day, next day you were training a new person. Without proper training employees are not respecting all the steps so the result varies a lot.
Ya they crank out a ton of tires and mostly maxxis so more dificult for maxxis to keep tabs on quality , if they do at all. Another reason to grab from the smaller brands that have caught up and passed them in technology. Maxxis are the romans and theyve become complacent on autopilot. I find tge technology on schwalbe and michelin to be far better at this point. Back to back testing with one bike with dd maxxis and another bike with michelin wr2(same weight as dd's) confirmed that. Less rim strikes, sealed easier, harder to puncture, better edging knobs, and noticeably damper. Pumped both sets of tires rock hard for silver star(more of a jumpy aline type bike park) and the dampness that the michelins have was evident. Superior slow rebound rubber. Maxxis i found pingy in comoarison. Jyst got back on some schwalbes this year and ive been impressed with those. Wear a bit quicker and some of the bead tolerances differ but great feeling rubber and really nice edging knobs on the big betty. Michelin lacks 2.5 tires and the e wild in a 2.6 is ok but i prefer closer spacing for the edge knobs and less transition knobs. Theyre missing the wild rockr2(discontunued and best tire ever) and a wider dh34. They should have both those tires in 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 in both bike park and dh casing and gumx and magicX. If they had both of those in those options id never buy anything rlse. Maxxis is shit compared to those possibilities. Big betty is working sweet though

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles