Issues with Maxxis tires

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
When my mates and I bought new Commencal metas back in 18 they all had faulty tyres , we were sent replacements , one was unusable it was so badly made but the rest we used and enjoyed the freebies . I also bought a new road bike years ago with a wobbly maxis detonator rear tyre , they wouldn’t replace it and that tyre let go in quite a big way at speed not long after , it didn’t burst but blew up like a deformed balloon where the wobble was . So beware if they are wobbly its A possible weak spot that could get a lot worse suddenly .

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Thats just bad business. That tire probably cost them 10 or 15 bucks to replace but will cost them tenfold in the end. They replace a lot of tires but then they also dont replace a far smount that should be replaced. Screw those guys and their greedy lbs monopoly.
Not even ssying theyre bad tires if theyre quality is how they should be. Theyre goid and way better than tires of the old days but theyre are a number of better options these days

Matthew SA

Nov 12, 2020
South Africa
So the last 3 Maxxis tires I've purchased have had massive wobbles in them. Aggressor DD, Assegai DD and Minion DHR. Has anyone else been seeing issues like this with their Maxxis recently. I run Rimpact inserts, but I don't think that's the issue.
YES> 3 out of 3 but the last one was unrideable. I have returned it.

INI

Jan 6, 2020
Orange County, CA
has anyone seen this on Maxxis DHR II 2.8 27.5 x 2.8 EXO tire 3C maxx terra

e13 Carbon Wheel , 27.5 DHR II , EXO, Maxx Terra 3C , 27.5 x 2.8 30-35PSI

Tire bead breaks, pops and in the second picture you can see the premature wear . looks like the rim is rubbing on the rubber and showing wear marks along whole tire.

No issues with the rim. LBC confirmed rim is fine.

Why??? Thoughts ?

This has happened 4 times now. the sidewall bead separates...
also if you look close, you can see the wear marks on the bead where the tire and rim must have movement.

IMG_7425.jpeg

IMG_7426.jpeg

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I had something similar on one of my DHF tires I was running on the rear. I thought it might have something to do with the low tire pressure (20 PSI with Cushcore) I run. I ride a lot of rock slabs so I was thinking the tire was slipping on the rim under heavy braking but really have no idea. I built the area back up with some Shoe Goo. I am using DT Swiss 511 rims and your carbon rims are probably hookless so YMMV.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had the same problem on some Continental Trail Kings. 27.5x2.2" on my mtb, run tubeless. It happened twice with successive tyres, both in the same place with respect to the Conti logo and at about the same miles travelled (ca. 700). See pics
TK failure 2.jpg
TK Failure 1.jpg

On each occasion I had zero difficulty in claiming a manufacturing defect, but I didn't buy a third tyre.

Despite the success of my claim that it was a manufacturing defect, I am pretty sure it was my low tyre pressure that exploited a latent defect. If my pressures had been higher, I may not have had the problem.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I had the same issue at the Malverns this year. Got in communications with Maxxis who wanted me to take it back to the shop (Cwm Carn, i'm in Essex) and see if they would submit a warranty claim, then went around the houses with the distributer as they said they would allow me to send it to them, then changed their mind and round and round again when they asked me to take it back to the shop.
I bought a new tyre, couldn't be arsed.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
It certainly makes me wonder in a time of economic inflation if we are getting the same product quality as we once did.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I've had 3 maxxis plus sized tyres split at the bead with only light xc use. Pressures I run are 20+psi.
All had loads of tread left.
I no longer run maxxis tyres.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I spoke to the shop and was told I shouldn't expect a bike tyre to last more than a year.
So much for supporting your local bike shop:rolleyes:
I suspect the first one failed before that but don't exactly remember.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I spoke to the shop and was told I shouldn't expect a bike tyre to last more than a year.
So much for supporting your local bike shop:rolleyes:
I suspect the first one failed before that but don't exactly remember.

Tires are consumables, I don't expect one to last more than six months and still have any performance left in it. At least not with a decent amount of mileage that I put on them.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Maybe not from the tread, but yes the bed needs to last.

I work at a shop, anytime we install maxxis tires we're careful to install the tire onto the rim with just using your hands and rolling the tire onto the rim. Anytime we've used a tire lever to get the tire onto the rim there's a good chance the bead gets damaged. Quite a bit of the time it cause a wobble in the tire due to the bead getting damaged or stretched.

Maybe that could be the cause of your issue?

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I work at a shop, anytime we install maxxis tires we're careful to install the tire onto the rim with just using your hands and rolling the tire onto the rim. Anytime we've used a tire lever to get the tire onto the rim there's a good chance the bead gets damaged. Quite a bit of the time it cause a wobble in the tire due to the bead getting damaged or stretched.

Maybe that could be the cause of your issue?

This. Just recently after using maxxis for many many years I suddenly had a problem with 6 (six!) tires. This is what happens:

Problem type no 1. Carbon rims. Carbon rims plus maxxis tires are often so tight that the tire lever is necessary. Tire stretch + resulting wobble guaranteed. Why maxxis never addressed this and is just replacing the tires all the time I have no idea.

Problem type no 2. Tire inserts. Tire inserts cause 2 types of problems at the same time. Usage of tire levers becomes necessary and the other one which is uneven inflation of the tire. When the tire is inflated with an insert inside it may be permanently damaged because the tire and insert will make local friction preventing the tire from proper expansion. Yes. Your MTB tires are so sensitive. After one such uneven inflation to more than 30psi (2bar) you can throw away your tire.

Problem type no 3. Tire inserts + carbon rims. Tight rims + inserts = disaster.

So what we see in last years is probably NOT degradation in quality or quality control. It's the change of the rim/insert technology. I sacrificed a new maxxis dh DHR2 to prove I'm right. The tire was absolutely perfect when installed on an "easy to install tire" race face rim. Then I installed the same tire on dt rim with a Tannus insert. The tire was permanently damaged. So be careful how you install your tires. "maxxis wobble" has probably this big notoriety because most MTB world uses maxxis.

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
This. Just recently after using maxxis for many many years I suddenly had a problem with 6 (six!) tires. This is what happens:

Problem type no 1. Carbon rims. Carbon rims plus maxxis tires are often so tight that the tire lever is necessary. Tire stretch + resulting wobble guaranteed. Why maxxis never addressed this and is just replacing the tires all the time I have no idea.

Problem type no 2. Tire inserts. Tire inserts cause 2 types of problems at the same time. Usage of tire levers becomes necessary and the other one which is uneven inflation of the tire. When the tire is inflated with an insert inside it may be permanently damaged because the tire and insert will make local friction preventing the tire from proper expansion. Yes. Your MTB tires are so sensitive. After one such uneven inflation to more than 30psi (2bar) you can throw away your tire.

Problem type no 3. Tire inserts + carbon rims. Tight rims + inserts = disaster.

So what we see in last years is probably NOT degradation in quality or quality control. It's the change of the rim/insert technology. I sacrificed a new maxxis dh DHR2 to prove I'm right. The tire was absolutely perfect when installed on an "easy to install tire" race face rim. Then I installed the same tire on dt rim with a Tannus insert. The tire was permanently damaged. So be careful how you install your tires. "maxxis wobble" has probably this big notoriety because most MTB world uses maxxis.
Well, that describes me, carbon wheels with inserts. Maybe time to explore another brand, because I don't plan on changing rims or removing inserts.

imax

Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Maxxis DHR 27.5 x 2.5 bad snake wobble. 10 rides in 2 months look 6 months old. Void warranty. So purchase a Maxxis Aggressor 27.5 x 2.5 DD clean install with soap, same snake wobble? Check rim with 0.1 mm dial gauge was out by 0.5mm
Install old Maxxis DHR 27.5 x 2.8 with tube = perfect out by 0.5mm WTF now my rim tape is cactus.
*Got a refund on the DD. Install new tyres with tube first and check.........

Last edited:

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
Just installed Maxxis Minions 29" with Tannus inserts without any wobbling problems. Used a lot of soapy water even behind the insert so it would slide inside into place when inflated. A good tire lever tool and soapy water and not streching the tire side with hands is the way to go from my experience.

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
I'm running DHF in the front and DHR II in the rear. 600 kms so far, low pressure tubeless on shit tons of rocks, no problems thus far. Not even missing any knobs surprisingly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles