27.5 or 29??

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
Hi all,

Looking at a new bike a Whyte e160rs which is a 27.5

All of my last bikes since around 2012 have been 29ers.

Am I likely to notice the difference between the two wheel sizes much? My riding is Cannock chase, Afan etc.

Cheers

Steve

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have ridden 26, 27.5 and 29 and loved them all. But my favourite is the one I'm riding now which is 29 front and 27.5 rear. I get the rollover benefits of the 29er, shorter chain stay of the 27.5 and best of all, fewer buzzes on my arse when over the rear wheel. :)

However, to answer your question; you will notice the difference if you get off one and straight onto the other. You may notice cornering differences first, then rollover differences, but by the end of the ride it will be the new normal. If you are into wheelies (I'm not), you may notice differences there but I have read that you will adapt very quickly.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have a LEvo ( 29er) and a Whyte e180 RS ( 27.5). I really do not think the "rollover" difference holds water given the high volume tyres most of us use. There is a handling difference. The smaller diameter wheel keeps the bike centre of gravity lower and steering is more direct both of which combine to make the bike more manoeuvrable ( other aspects of the bikes geometry being equal). The other difference I notice is the clearance between the rear wheel and the chainstay bridge. There is invariably greater clearance for mud on a 27.5 than on a 29er especially when bigger ( e.g. 2.6) tyres are used.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have a LEvo ( 29er) and a Whyte e180 RS ( 27.5). I really do not think the "rollover" difference holds water given the high volume tyres most of us use.
Not surprising given the two bikes have optimised geometry for the chosen wheelsize. Having tried 27.5 and 29er on the same bike I can assure you there is a noticeable difference in both rollover and turn in between the two wheel sizes.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not surprising given the two bikes have optimised geometry for the chosen wheelsize. Having tried 27.5 and 29er on the same bike I can assure you there is a noticeable difference in both rollover and turn in between the two wheel sizes.
Agreed..........never tried both on the same bike. But riding my 27.5 and 29er...both designed for those wheel sizes........nothing about either makes me think about rollover differences.......steering...yes I notice that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles