Levo Gen 3 22 Levo - Loose Headset

Twindaddy

Nov 29, 2022
Chino Hills
I have a 22 Gen 3 Levo and for the past few months have been noticing the headset getting loose after a rough descent. I can tighten it but a couple runs later it starts to feel like crap again. My local mech (not where I bought the bike) says its the cup being a bit too small, causing a bit of play.

I think this may be a problem with the stumpie evo as well. Is this a common problem in the levo? Is there a fix……perhaps swapping for a different headset?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Are you sure your top cap above the stem isn't bottoming out on the fork steerer tube? Could just need a 5mm spacer to enable you to reach the correct torque.

Twindaddy

Nov 29, 2022
Chino Hills
Are you sure your top cap above the stem isn't bottoming out on the fork steerer tube? Could just need a 5mm spacer to enable you to reach the correct torque.

Unfortunately thats not it, can reach the correct torque just fine. For whats its worth I keep it in the neutral angle setting, havent tried the 63.5 or 65,5 yet.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Unfortunately thats not it, can reach the correct torque just fine. For whats its worth I keep it in the neutral angle setting, havent tried the 63.5 or 65,5 yet.
I realise you can tighten the star nut to the correct torque but have you actually checked to see if it is bottoming out on the steerer by removing the top cap? I would add a 5mm spacer under the top cap to remove this possibility first.

The other cups will not make difference if the fixing mechanism isn't correct and the bottoming out of the top cap on the steerer is the most common explanation for it loosening after a ride (apart from actually not tightening the bolts).

I have seen the steerer pull thru the CSU on a fork but that's quite rare but exhibits the same symptoms until it fully seats.

Twindaddy

Nov 29, 2022
Chino Hills
I realise you can tighten the star nut to the correct torque but have you actually checked to see if it is bottoming out on the steerer by removing the top cap? I would add a 5mm spacer under the top cap to remove this possibility first.

The other cups will not make difference if the fixing mechanism isn't correct and the bottoming out of the top cap on the steerer is the most common explanation for it loosening after a ride (apart from actually not tightening the bolts).

I have seen the steerer pull thru the CSU on a fork but that's quite rare but exhibits the same symptoms until it fully seats.

Hmm…perhaps I need to take another look. Will certainly do so tonight. Appreciate the tip.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
You can do what I did and install a Chris King 😂

You would lose the angle adjustment though if you care about that.

With that being said, the stock headset should be just fine as well. Def check what @ebikerider said first, especially since you could check, fix if needed, and retorque it faster than reading this post :)

Just remember these don’t require a lot of torque, it’s only about 3Nm

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Check your fork big washer thing with the split in it. Mine was worn. Replaced with a hope one with a better seal.

this has improved, (but not completely cured) the issue.

Twindaddy

Nov 29, 2022
Chino Hills
You can do what I did and install a Chris King 😂

You would lose the angle adjustment though if you care about that.

With that being said, the stock headset should be just fine as well. Def check what @ebikerider said first, especially since you could check, fix if needed, and retorque it faster than reading this post :)

Just remember these don’t require a lot of torque, it’s only about 3Nm
Thanks for the input, looks like you had some issues with the stock headset before switching to the Chris King? I did add a spacer last night. Not enough room for a 5mm but enough to where the top cap isnt hitting the steerer tube. I wont have a chance to ride until this weekend so will have to see if that was the culprit.

Do you mind showing me which chris king headset you went with in case the spacer does not work? Have not bought a headset before so want to ensure Im getting the right one.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Thanks for the input, looks like you had some issues with the stock headset before switching to the Chris King? I did add a spacer last night. Not enough room for a 5mm but enough to where the top cap isnt hitting the steerer tube. I wont have a chance to ride until this weekend so will have to see if that was the culprit.

Do you mind showing me which chris king headset you went with in case the spacer does not work? Have not bought a headset before so want to ensure Im getting the right one.
It’s the dropset 5 from Chris King if you go that route.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My Levo was a my19 model so dont know if the top cap is the same on your bike as mine was...........but I found it was too flexible/flimsy, being only a single concave shape. I changed it for a Nukeproof top cap......cheap and simple fix.

Twindaddy

Nov 29, 2022
Chino Hills
My Levo was a my19 model so dont know if the top cap is the same on your bike as mine was...........but I found it was too flexible/flimsy, being only a single concave shape. I changed it for a Nukeproof top cap......cheap and simple fix.
The top cap on my 22 does seem cheap. I swapped it for the top cap from my ripmo last night when I added the spacer. Cant wait to go for a ride to see if the fix was as simple as a spacer. Hoping it is.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland

Sorry been slammed today. But yes @Ou812 is correct, you would want the Dropset 5.

I actually swapped mine for the CK because I’m a fan of their stuff. It’s basically bomb proof and will outlast your bike. I had no issues with the stock set but to be fair I swapped it out after only 2 weeks so not enough time to tell one way or another.

I don’t think you mentioned but do you actually have a top cap with a bolt on top? Basically the normal style?
Or do you have the SWAT tool insert where you actually tighten the bolt from the bottom of the fork steerer tube?

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
Wished the CK Dropset 5 would work withe the Levo at slack setting…

Since no, i went with Wolftooth. I’ll see how it goes

IMG_5612.jpeg

Polo1602

Jan 19, 2023
Cologne
I have a alloy Levo with a minimal loose headset too. It’s loose with the neutral and the -1/+1 cup. I swapped the entire headset (bearings, spacer, crownrace , etc) but it’s still minimal loose under (heavy) load. It comes definitely from the upper cup. The upper cup is minimal slipping in the cup seat/head tube (under load). Now i bought the head cup kit (S212500015) and i hope this will solve the issue. Maybe the shape of my current cups are not perfect/good for the cup seat in the headtube. When the headset is still loose with the new cups (will try neutral), I’ll talk to specialized.

Twindaddy

Nov 29, 2022
Chino Hills
I have a alloy Levo with a minimal loose headset too. It’s loose with the neutral and the -1/+1 cup. I swapped the entire headset (bearings, spacer, crownrace , etc) but it’s still minimal loose under (heavy) load. It comes definitely from the upper cup. The upper cup is minimal slipping in the cup seat/head tube (under load). Now i bought the head cup kit (S212500015) and i hope this will solve the issue. Maybe the shape of my current cups are not perfect/good for the cup seat in the headtube. When the headset is still loose with the new cups (will try neutral), I’ll talk to specialized.

Mine is an alloy as well. I did add a spacer under the top cap as suggested by ebikerider above and it seems to have helped, quite a bit. Thanks ebikerider for the tip!

Polo1602

Jan 19, 2023
Cologne
Got the new neutral headset cup installed and everthing is fine. No play at all. When i checked the neutral headset cup which came with the bike, there were only three tiny spots where the headset cup seated/had contact in/with the seat in the headtube. I think they where wrong machined from factory...

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
How do you find this upgrade - is it more "firm"?
performs like any good headset i guess. Didn’t like the look of the stock one and didn’t like the fact i had to re-torque everything

i also don’t like the stock crown race. The wolftooth lower bearing come with a crown race that has a dust/water seal. I wash my bike often so good to have the seal

my kenevo has a cane creek headset, levo sl wolftooth and levo has the stock headset with cane creek crown race.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Check your fork big washer thing with the split in it. Mine was worn. Replaced with a hope one with a better seal.

this has improved, (but not completely cured) the issue.
Continuing this, Berkshire cycles looked at this for me. They recommended this

Head Doctor - Head Doctor star nut replacement which looks as if it will now never move.

This was fitted but I havent ridden enough to know if its fixed it yet.

Deimos

Apr 25, 2021
Germany
i also had problems with the headset coming loose and start making Noise almost After every Ride.

changed the Carbon Spaces to alloy and since then its quiet and stays Play free.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles