216 x 63 shock bush offset dohickey

hugoagogo

Sep 14, 2021
UK
Now then, will be mulleting my rise over the next couple of weeks, got a fox dhx2 on the way but what offset bushes do I need and do you put them in the head (frame end) or tail (clevis end) of the shock, or both? Any info and links to items would be really appreciated.

Cheers all

Jon

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
One at the Clevis end, don’t think you can fit one the other end, I did mullet mine briefly with a cheap shock but happy with standard 140mm coil

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
You’re looking for offset bushings. You can buy a pair or single from this site Offset Bushings | Orbea Rise

I’ve got one on the clevis end. Didn’t think it’d fit on the other based on feedback of shock rubbing on smaller frames but I don’t think a fox dhx2 would rub on and XL frame with an offset bushing on both ends. Clearly it depends on frame size, shock, and geometry you want.

I would recommend waiting until you get the bike to measure the length of the clevis bushing as they seem to vary (not always matching the manual).

hugoagogo

Sep 14, 2021
UK
Cheers fellas, shock should be turning up this week, will get the wheel built up and order an offset bush when I've checked the dia of the shock mount. Bike is a size L.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I installed a 216x63.5mm Fox DHX2 w/ 700lb SLS spring and it fit fine w/o bushings on a large H15. It also worked w/ 2 offset bushings. I am currently running my Factory 36 at 150mm. I am gonna raise it to 160mm. When I do swap air shafts, I am gonna remove both offset bushings. The added BB height from the longer shock & fork will be offset by the increased travel. BB will be similar to my Rallon. I also picked up a Bike Yoke SlackR 1.2 degree angle Headset to see how that feels.....

hugoagogo

Sep 14, 2021
UK
I've already popped a 160mm airshaft in the forks. Will get the rear wheel built up and get 1 offset bushing to have a play with.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
My Rise is currently 160mm upfront with 210x55 standard coil on the rear, I have run it as a mullet too with 140mm rear, it rides ok but if really rocky you will struggle, I had to swap back to the 29er wheel, had both in van as getting too many pedal strikes as mullet at this particular venue, on groomed bike centre trails like BPW would be good with mullet, through rock gardens can time your pedalling but the venue I was at you had to pedal uphill over rock gardens

Feb 21, 2022
Los Angeles
How do you like it in the current setup? What coil are you running? I haven't found the limits of the Float X so far and have not considered a coil. I am trialing different shock spacers this week.

hugoagogo

Sep 14, 2021
UK
Has anyone tried leaving the bike stock and only changing the airshaft to 160mm? Wondering if the bb difference is noticeable.
That's what I have at the mo, it rides great, just fancied a coil and figured I might as well go longer travel. Wheel is getting built up this week, still not sorted bushes for the 216 x 63 shock. Need to get some verniers to measure the sizes on existing dpx shock.

balticmoe

Mar 27, 2021
Northern Germany
Only 1 offset bushing fits with a Mara Pro. Got mine 160/160 29er and love it.

@GatorXman

could you tell me which frame size you ride and measure the bb height of your rise for me please?

I have the possibility to get the „last“ Mara available in the germany in 216x63mm, but I am worried that it might be "too high" with only one offsetbushing. :unsure:

I would like to run mezzer and mara pro 160/160 mm but have read about fitting issues with the mara pro.

GatorXman

Nov 23, 2021
Tampa
@GatorXman

could you tell me which frame size you ride and measure the bb height of your rise for me please?

I have the possibility to get the „last“ Mara available in the germany in 216x63mm, but I am worried that it might be "too high" with only one offsetbushing. :unsure:

I would like to run mezzer and mara pro 160/160 mm but have read about fitting issues with the mara pro.

I ride a L. Measuring BB with a measuring tape I get roughly 353mm BB.
160/160 Mezzer and Mara
2.5 Assegai F, 2.4 Dissector R

The Mara Pro won’t fit an offset bushing on the head in most frames due to the design.
I love how the bike rides like this. It does NOT ride like a 160 bike if that’s what you are looking for. The angles stay conservative, you just get a bit more squish. The HA is still steep enough where you don’t get any wheel flop like you do on most 150+ bikes. It rides more like a long travel trail bike than an enduro race machine. If you ride a lot of wide open fast speed flow trails or super steep terrain, then I would go mullet to go a bit lower and slacker. My terrain is very pedally, and it works great here.

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
I have a 29r XL M10 with a Assegai 2.5 and 2.4 DHRII. It started with 65.5Deg HA. 340mm BB height (Tyre profile lifting it). I weigh 75kg plus gear.

Changes:
Front: 170mm airshaft. (160mm is maximum Orbea will warranty. My weight and riding style make me comfortable to go to 170mm)
Rear: 163mm rear (216x63 Estoria coil).
2 Offset Bushings (either end of the shock. Fits fine)

Geo results:
BB Height moved up to 350mm.
64.55 Deg Head angle.

Riding difference:
Felt very similar geo-wise to me, barely noticeable, but I'm not a ninja-sharp rider. Fork still feels stiff and stable at 170mm. What I did notice is the extra travel so jumps and drops were much smoother. BPW was perfect and STILL retained all the fun of local trails - Feels just as poppy and energetic and lively on the trails.

So, no regrets on that change at all.

I have a practically new 216x63 DPX2 Kashima if anyone UK-based wants one. Just PM me.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021
Netherlands
I installed a 216x63.5mm Fox DHX2 w/ 700lb SLS spring and it fit fine w/o bushings on a large H15. It also worked w/ 2 offset bushings. I am currently running my Factory 36 at 150mm. I am gonna raise it to 160mm. When I do swap air shafts, I am gonna remove both offset bushings. The added BB height from the longer shock & fork will be offset by the increased travel. BB will be similar to my Rallon. I also picked up a Bike Yoke SlackR 1.2 degree angle Headset to see how that feels.....
Hi, also thinking of a coil 216x63. but dont know for sure what spring. what is your weight? i'm 95kg

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
What Orbea Will Warranty is based on Axle to crown not fork travel. The Rise Blue Paper this is 561mm which for most forks is only 150mm travel
I have a 29r XL M10 with a Assegai 2.5 and 2.4 DHRII. It started with 65.5Deg HA. 340mm BB height (Tyre profile lifting it). I weigh 75kg plus gear.

Changes:
Front: 170mm airshaft. (160mm is maximum Orbea will warranty. My weight and riding style make me comfortable to go to 170mm)
Rear: 163mm rear (216x63 Estoria coil).
2 Offset Bushings (either end of the shock. Fits fine)

Geo results:
BB Height moved up to 350mm.
64.55 Deg Head angle.

Riding difference:
Felt very similar geo-wise to me, barely noticeable, but I'm not a ninja-sharp rider. Fork still feels stiff and stable at 170mm.
What I did notice is the extra travel so jumps and drops were much smoother. BPW was perfect and STILL retained all the fun of local trails - Feels just as poppy and energetic and lively on the trails.

So, no regrets on that change at all.

I have a practically new 216x63 DPX2 Kashima if anyone UK-based wants one. Just PM me.

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
What Orbea Will Warranty is based on Axle to crown not fork travel. The Rise Blue Paper this is 561mm which for most forks is only 150mm travel
Totally accept that. And a manufacturer has to design for the 'worst case scenario'. A lardy-assed, ham-fisted, big jumping, heavy-landing nonse. In my use-case I feel confident I'm still within the design limits of the frame and fork. And it's a risk I'm very happy to take.

I've an amazing bike, 170/162, 64.5HA, coil EXT. It's an enthusiastic puppy of bike on the trails and a stormer on a downhill bike park. All the travel I need, more than enough power when I'm knackered, more range than I've ever used, and weighs (with coil, pedals, AXS kit and EXO+ tyres in XL) at 18.9Kg.

t's an absolute weapon.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Totally accept that. And a manufacturer has to design for the 'worst case scenario'. A lardy-assed, ham-fisted, big jumping, heavy-landing nonse. In my use-case I feel confident I'm still within the design limits of the frame and fork. And it's a risk I'm very happy to take.

I've an amazing bike, 170/162, 64.5HA, coil EXT. It's an enthusiastic puppy of bike on the trails and a stormer on a downhill bike park. All the travel I need, more than enough power when I'm knackered, more range than I've ever used, and weighs (with coil, pedals, AXS kit and EXO+ tyres in XL) at 18.9Kg.

t's an absolute weapon.
I'm boggled on how you have a 19kg bike even with your upgrades.
I have a Large h30 upgraded to some pretty light components and even going to the extreme based on calculations (xtr + axs, 1450g wheelset, 1050g tires F+R, light weight cranks, air shock etc) I can only hit 46lbs or 20.8 kg. I can't image hydro frame + bigger battery is 1.8kg heavier than the carbon + smaller battery.

also question for you - with the full 29, longer stroke + double offset bushings > your rear is clearing the seat? no butt buzz during full compression?

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
I'm boggled on how you have a 19kg bike even with your upgrades.
I have a Large h30 upgraded to some pretty light components and even going to the extreme based on calculations (xtr + axs, 1450g wheelset, 1050g tires F+R, light weight cranks, air shock etc) I can only hit 46lbs or 20.8 kg. I can't image hydro frame + bigger battery is 1.8kg heavier than the carbon + smaller battery.

also question for you - with the full 29, longer stroke + double offset bushings > your rear is clearing the seat? no butt buzz during full compression?
19KG - With NextSL carbon wheels, and running a Dissector EXO+ upfront instead of Assegai, also XTR cassette. (Wheels, Tyre and XTR saved 0.8KG. I was hoping for a whole kg, but Maxxis lied about the dissector weight, and it's the same weight pretty much as a DHRII, so I kept that on the rear.

As for shocks, the top 2 are my measurement, DPS is internet sourced. So the coil definitely adds some. However, the bike needs to be a capable, reliable bike first, and lightweight second, so- reliable Alu cranks, coil shock rank above weight.
DPX2430g
EXT Storia & Spring656g
DPS220g

Pedals:
DMR Vault (Standard)430g
DMR Mg366g
DMR MG SL V2290g

Wheels: (I have both sets with tyres and discs as hot swaps)
Turbine R301815g
R/F Next SL1555g

Cassette:
SLX533g
XTR376g
XT477g

Tyres: (Lies - The Dissector is the same weight as the DHRII)
Dissector EXO+ 860g/Dissector 860g1720g
DHRII 1015+20g/Assegai 1165g (Both EXO+)2200g

The AXS gear is heavier than stock. Don't know the derailleur, but think the weights are roughly:
OC m20 31.6mm 170mm600g
R/S Reverb 170mm 31.6mm676g

Anyway. The bike geo and behaviour is great for me and apart from a sheared aluminium shock top bolt, that was a PITA to remove,(and replace with a steel one), the bike has been 100% reliable and great to ride on trails and bike parks.

No issues with shock/frame clearance or suspension/tyre/frame clearance. 29r, XL frame, two offset bushes.

Last edited:

scarl

Dec 19, 2021
sacramento

t's an absolute weapon.
I've been running my medium mullet with a 160mm fork since April. I remember how much I liked going from 150 to 160 it's an absolute joy. It's time to service my fork and want to give 170mm a try but I'm a bit nervous about exceeding the axle to crown.. even more than already at 160mm. I feel like the 160f/162r isn't as balanced as 170/162 would be. I do like to jumps and drops 6 -10' tops. Has anyone heard of failures because someone at 170mm fork?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles