2024 Strive:ON

ArtturiM

Jun 3, 2023
Finland
Those who have the CFR with the Fox X2 Performance shock, how are you finding setup?

For my weight (90kg), the Canyon app suggests 199psi which then gives me a sag of 37%. If I increase pressure to 240psi I’m still at 32% sag.

I’ve found the settings for the Fox 38 forks to be bang on what Fox and Canyon suggest, which is 102psi for my weight. The shock seems to feel ‘balanced’ with the fork at around 230psi but then I’m not using the last 7-8mm of shock stroke.

What I’ve found interesting is that I’ve tried it on the same trails at 200psi, 210psi, 220psi and 230psi and the max travel I’m using is always very similar.

Curious to see what others are finding works best for them?
I had problems with my X2 right from day one; rebound not functioning correctly (too fast and adjusters made little difference) and sank into its sag way too easily which meant I was having to use way higher pressures to get correct sag. Contacted Silverfish and they said there’s been a bad batch from the US and mine sounds like one of those and that I should send it to them straight away under warranty and they will upgrade the internals to the 2024 spec.

It seems there’s kind of an unofficial recall on the X2 from 2021 - 2023 models and they swap out the internals for 2024 spec with no hassle. Apparently these fix all the know issues. I also asked them to fit the high speed circuit which they did at a cost of £99 so I’ve now got what is considered a factory spec model (complete with kashima shaft and factory decals). I know some people have had a direct swap out for a factory model with no cost, but it’s luck of the draw with what they have in stock. Regardless I was happy to pay the £99 for the ‘upgrade’. I’ve not ridden it on the trails yet but the setup in the garage feels like the prior issues are gone - time will tell.

Seems that there is couple others who have been struggling with same problem than me with Strive:ON CFR rear suspension.
Bike Strive:ON CFR in Size L
Rider 190cm and 88-90kg+3-5kg gear
Fork Fox 38 Performance Elite (same adjustments as Factory)
Shock Fox Float X2 Performance (lacks HSR and HSC asjustments that Performance Elite and Factory has)

I have very similar experiences that front feels almost spot on with suggested 99-102psi pressure but rear end with suggested pressures 199-210psi feels soft, loose and saggy. Rear shock needs like 230psi to be supportive enough but higher spring pressure requires more rebound damping. Seems that X2 Performance lacks HSR adjustment and shimming for rebound is not enough for those higher pressures.

Contacted Canyon local product support and they adviced to bring shock to local Fox dealer. Fox dealer told that problem is that shock is working as Canyon have specced (for lighter riders) and this isn’t warranty case. After that contacted to Canyon customer service and they told that they don’t take any responsibility of this issue and shock works as it should. 😁

Local Fox service was very helpful and they suggested to shim shock with new custom ”Factory Tune” when servicing shock. Price for service and Factory tune was 130€ which is reasonable.

I also asked price for upgrade from Performance to Performance Elite (=Factory without Kashima) with added HSR and HSC adjustments but price was around 300€.

I also check how many tokens front fork and rear shock has. Front fork has 2pcs tokens and rear shock has no tokens from factory.

2022 Performance Elite Series 38 FLOAT 29 170 Grip
Serial number: 1071603-0203-T
Part number: 910-35-744
Description: 2023_22, 38, A, FLOAT, 29in, P-SE, 170, Grip 2, HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR, Matte Blk, Std/Matte Blk Logo, Kabolt-X 110, BLK, 1.5 T, 58HT, 44mm Rake, OE
2pcs 10cc Tokens from factory

2023 Series FLOAT X2 2pos-Adj

Serial number: 1062029-0032-T
Part number: 979-00-692
Description: 2023, FLOAT X2, P-S, A, 2pos-Adj, Canyon, M158 - Strive On, 230, 65, CL001, RM, Rezi BV3, Standard, Neutral Logo
No tokens from factory

Seems that those codes means something like below but if there is any suspension gurus please fill list.

P-S=Performance Series
A=Anodised black
2-pos Adj=
230mm=distance C-C of eyelets
65mm=shock travel
CL001=Compression Light 001
RM=Rebound Medium
Rezi BV3=?

Some copy-paste from different sources:

I've never seen or dyno'd those midvalve tunes. The BV3 base-valve tune is ridiculous and a large part of the reason the X2's over-pressure and blow oil out.

It looks like the CL001 is the same stack as the CL but with the smallest diameter shim changed to be a larger OD, which should stiffen the stack, how much I have no idea, Less than a CM.

JCR0110 looks stiffer than RM but probably less stiff than an RF. But there are pretty big differences in the stacks so I'm not 100%.

CF: Compression Firm
CM: Compression Medium
CL: Compression Light
CL: Compression Light+
CXL: Compression Extra Light (?)

RL: Rebound Light
RL+: Rebound Light+
RM: Rebound Medium
RF: Rebound Firm

PRF: Preload Rebound Firm
PRM: Preload Rebound Medium
PRL: Preload Rebound Light

LM: Lever Mode Medium
LL: Lever Mode Light
LF: Lever Mode Firm
LMB1: Lever Mode Medium Bleed 1
LMB2: Lever Mode Medium Bleed 2
LFB2: Lever Mode Firm Bleed 2
LLB3: Lever Mode Light Bleed 3
LMB3: Lever Mode Medium Bleed 3

IMG_6176.jpeg IMG_6175.jpeg IMG_5642.jpeg IMG_6245.jpeg IMG_6227.jpeg IMG_6178.jpeg IMG_6246.jpeg IMG_6247.jpeg

Last edited:

ArtturiM

Jun 3, 2023
Finland
Description: 2023, FLOAT X2, P-S, A, 2pos-Adj, Canyon, M158 - Strive On, 230, 65, CL001, RM, Rezi BV3, Standard, Neutral Logo
No tokens from factory

Seems that those codes means something like below but if there is any suspension gurus please fill list.

P-S=Performance Series
A=Anodised black
2-pos Adj=2-position lever (open/firm)
65mm=shock travel
RM=Rebound Medium
Rezi BV3=? (Rezi? BaseValve3?)

Modification from Fox Float X2 Performance to Performance Elite was as expensive as price of new Fox Float X2 Performance Elite shock so ended up ordering new shock. There is only a little difference in valving of new shock so need to find out how new shock will act. After test ride with new shock I will decide how to modificate shocks stock shimming or is it even needed with HSC and HSR adjustments.

2023 Series FLOAT X2 2pos-Adj​

Serial number: 1023974-0005-T
Part number: 979-00-868
Description: 2023, FLOAT X2, P-Se, A, 2pos-Adj, YT, Capra 29, 230, 65, CL, RM, Rezi CM, Standard, Neutral Logo

P-Se=Performance Series Elite
A=Anodised black
65mm=shock travel
CL=Compression Light
RM=Rebound Medium
Rezi CM=?(Rezi?, Compression Medium?)

It looks like the CL001 is the same stack as the CL but with the smallest diameter shim changed to be a larger OD, which should stiffen the stack, how much I have no idea, Less than a CM.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Seems that there is couple others who have been struggling with same problem than me with Strive:ON CFR rear suspension.
Bike Strive:ON CFR in Size L
Rider 190cm and 88-90kg+3-5kg gear
Fork Fox 38 Performance Elite (same adjustments as Factory)
Shock Fox Float X2 Performance (lacks HSR and HSC asjustments that Performance Elite and Factory has)

I have very similar experiences that front feels almost spot on with suggested 99-102psi pressure but rear end with suggested pressures 199-210psi feels soft, loose and saggy. Rear shock needs like 230psi to be supportive enough but higher spring pressure requires more rebound damping. Seems that X2 Performance lacks HSR adjustment and shimming for rebound is not enough for those higher pressures.

Contacted Canyon local product support and they adviced to bring shock to local Fox dealer. Fox dealer told that problem is that shock is working as Canyon have specced (for lighter riders) and this isn’t warranty case. After that contacted to Canyon customer service and they told that they don’t take any responsibility of this issue and shock works as it should. 😁

Local Fox service was very helpful and they suggested to shim shock with new custom ”Factory Tune” when servicing shock. Price for service and Factory tune was 130€ which is reasonable.

I also asked price for upgrade from Performance to Performance Elite (=Factory without Kashima) with added HSR and HSC adjustments but price was around 300€.

I also check how many tokens front fork and rear shock has. Front fork has 2pcs tokens and rear shock has no tokens from factory.

2022 Performance Elite Series 38 FLOAT 29 170 Grip
Serial number: 1071603-0203-T
Part number: 910-35-744
Description: 2023_22, 38, A, FLOAT, 29in, P-SE, 170, Grip 2, HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR, Matte Blk, Std/Matte Blk Logo, Kabolt-X 110, BLK, 1.5 T, 58HT, 44mm Rake, OE
2pcs 10cc Tokens from factory

No tokens from factory

P-S=Performance Series
A=Anodised black
2-pos Adj=
65mm=shock travel
RM=Rebound Medium
Rezi BV3=?

Some copy-paste from different sources:

I've never seen or dyno'd those midvalve tunes. The BV3 base-valve tune is ridiculous and a large part of the reason the X2's over-pressure and blow oil out.

JCR0110 looks stiffer than RM but probably less stiff than an RF. But there are pretty big differences in the stacks so I'm not 100%.

CF: Compression Firm
CM: Compression Medium
CL: Compression Light
CL: Compression Light+
CXL: Compression Extra Light (?)

RL: Rebound Light
RL+: Rebound Light+
RM: Rebound Medium
RF: Rebound Firm

PRF: Preload Rebound Firm
PRM: Preload Rebound Medium
PRL: Preload Rebound Light

LM: Lever Mode Medium
LL: Lever Mode Light
LF: Lever Mode Firm
LMB1: Lever Mode Medium Bleed 1
LMB2: Lever Mode Medium Bleed 2
LFB2: Lever Mode Firm Bleed 2
LLB3: Lever Mode Light Bleed 3
LMB3: Lever Mode Medium Bleed 3

View attachment 128250 View attachment 128251 View attachment 128252 View attachment 128253 View attachment 128254 View attachment 128255 View attachment 128256 View attachment 128257
Thanks for all the info. I’m 189cm on CFR Large albeit 96kg exc riding gear. So you’re settings will help me out. Unsure about the rear shock now though given my extra kgs

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
Hi, What is the battery gap problem? Still in new model?

Any pic of XL please? I am beteewn Orbea Wild M20 with 28% discount or Underdog?

Thanks

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
Hi, What is the battery gap problem? Still in new model?

Any pic of XL please? I am beteewn Orbea Wild M20 with 28% discount or Underdog?

Thanks
I've gone for an Underdog...!! £4,790 is just insane, its an awesome bike. I chose the 625 battery and now issues at all in 200 miles so far.

I've swapped out the SRAM DB8s for some Hope Tech4 V4 - Ala @robrides - and have just fitted RevGrip pros - £99.99...!! But they take out ALL the harshness of the stiff chasis...so the thing is now a rocket ship!

Last edited:

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Hi everyone, knowing the issues that there have been with the x2 shocks in the past years how do I determine which year my shock is? pre 2024 or 2024 model. All I can see on mine is eMTB tuned but no 4 digit code like I expected. I do see a little oil on the X2 shaft which has me concerned given it's not had it's maiden ride yet just setting sag in the cellar.

S1mmo

Aug 30, 2023
Yorkshire
Hi everyone, knowing the issues that there have been with the x2 shocks in the past years how do I determine which year my shock is? pre 2024 or 2024 model. All I can see on mine is eMTB tuned but no 4 digit code like I expected. I do see a little oil on the X2 shaft which has me concerned given it's not had it's maiden ride yet just setting sag in the cellar.
I think on the newer models you need to scan a small QR code printed on the end of the shock which takes you to a link on the Fox site with all the details.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
I think on the newer models you need to scan a small QR code printed on the end of the shock which takes you to a link on the Fox site with all the details.
Thanks, found it buried at the bottom of the shock in a hard to get to place to photograph.

Turns out I have a 2023 model so will see how it goes and hope it doesn't fail.

For all those who had an X2 fail - what were the obvious symptoms so I can react quickly - thanks!

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich

No tokens from factory

P-S=Performance Series
A=Anodised black
2-pos Adj=
65mm=shock travel
RM=Rebound Medium
Rezi BV3=?

JCR0110 looks stiffer than RM but probably less stiff than an RF. But there are pretty big differences in the stacks so I'm not 100%
Not sure which shock you got but my 2023 X2 Perf that came with he CFR is RF or Rebound Firm

Markwright1983

Subscriber
Aug 27, 2020
Middlesbrough
Thanks, found it buried at the bottom of the shock in a hard to get to place to photograph.

Turns out I have a 2023 model so will see how it goes and hope it doesn't fail.

For all those who had an X2 fail - what were the obvious symptoms so I can react quickly - thanks!

Mine didn’t fail, per se. However the rebound adjuster done virtually nothing and it was pretty fast regardless of setting. It also sank into its sag way too easily meaning I had to run much higher pressures, and therefore ideally needed more rebound damping. When you add the two together it just didn’t perform like it should and it was sorted under warranty.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Mine didn’t fail, per se. However the rebound adjuster done virtually nothing and it was pretty fast regardless of setting. It also sank into its sag way too easily meaning I had to run much higher pressures, and therefore ideally needed more rebound damping. When you add the two together it just didn’t perform like it should and it was sorted under warranty.
I’m 96kg + riding gear so have set it to 225psi gives me about 30% sag. See how I go. Thanks for your info, I’ll keep an eye on it.

ArtturiM

Jun 3, 2023
Finland
Not sure which shock you got but my 2023 X2 Perf that came with he CFR is RF or Rebound Firm
I have Strive:ON CFR in size large and it is delivered in mid June. What size frame you have? How it rides and what is your weight?

Could you share shock specs from Fox database and/or serial number? 🤔

Intresting if Canyon has different valving in different shocks but that could be reason why some of riders have been hard times adjusting rear suapension and others don’t.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
I have Strive:ON CFR in size large and it is delivered in mid June. What size frame you have? How it rides and what is your weight?

Could you share shock specs from Fox database and/or serial number? 🤔

Intresting if Canyon has different valving in different shocks but that could be reason why some of riders have been hard times adjusting rear suapension and others don’t.
Mine was delivered a week ago. large CFR with 725wh battery. Attached is screenshot I took of specs

IMG_7673.png

ArtturiM

Jun 3, 2023
Finland
Mine was delivered a week ago. large CFR with 725wh battery. Attached is screenshot I took of specs

View attachment 128437

@jxrx Strive:ON CFR (750wh or 625wh?) size L delivered 10/23​

Serial number: 1083396-0150-T
Part number: 979-02-138
Description: 2023, FLOAT X2, P-S, A, 2pos-Adj, Canyon, M158 - Strive On, 230, 65, CL001, RF, Rezi BV3, Standard, Neutral Logo

@ArtturiM Strive:ON CFR 750wh size L delivered 6/23​

I’m 96kg + riding gear so have set it to 225psi gives me about 30% sag. See how I go. Thanks for your info, I’ll keep an eye on it.

I think that RF=Rebound Firm can handle +200psi pressures and bigger rebound forces better than RM=Rebound Medium.

Intresting if Canyon has find out that rebound shimming is off and dialled rebound tune from Medium to Firm during these months.

Last edited:

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
anyone took small battery? or have both? (625 and 750) ? I guess you can feel the difference in handling - 900g, especially that's very close to the head tube.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Ok first ride done. Just to work and back. But… I thought this motor wasn’t mean to have much drag above the 25km/h cut off?? It felt like the brakes were being applied as I hit 25!! Was really bad. Unless I was riding downhill near impossible to pedal above 25-27km/h. Is that normal??? Thanks

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
it's normal feeling, unless you are fit, to ride >26km/h on a flat tarmac you need >250W, also depends on your tires (and pressure)

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
Ok first ride done. Just to work and back. But… I thought this motor wasn’t mean to have much drag above the 25km/h cut off?? It felt like the brakes were being applied as I hit 25!! Was really bad. Unless I was riding downhill near impossible to pedal above 25-27km/h. Is that normal??? Thanks
I agree, it’s hard work over 25kph. The prev Bosch was the same though.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
it's normal feeling, unless you are fit, to ride >26km/h on a flat tarmac you need >250W, also depends on your tires (and pressure)
Ok. With the standard maxxgrip qfront Assegai and DHR II DD rear. I can ride my bio enduro bike with enduro casing tyres pretty easily above 25 but guess not this puppy . I am not super fit but also not
I agree, it’s hard work over 25kph. The prev Bosch was the same though.
ok I only tested a Bosch powered eMTB on trails before this and didn't notice it but logically I also didn't spend time riding it on flat roads above 25km/h

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
Ok. With the standard maxxgrip qfront Assegai and DHR II DD rear. I can ride my bio enduro bike with enduro casing tyres pretty easily above 25 but guess not this puppy . I am not super fit but also not

ok I only tested a Bosch powered eMTB on trails before this and didn't notice it but logically I also didn't spend time riding it on flat roads above 25km/h
Yeah, its shite/hard work on a flat road. I occasionally notice the "brakes going on" feeling on the trail, but its rare really.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Another question. I saw a Deity post on IG and wondered if we would use round headset spacers on Strive would it look like this? More the first round spacer on top of the headset cover.

IMG_7526.jpeg

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
Today the discount on the Strive:On ended. I wonder if they did this because they want to discount it on Black Friday.

They also added a bunch of CFR LTD in the outlet (5 bikes each of M and L, and one XL), so that could also be a reson for them to end the discount on new bikes.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 135555.png

ArtturiM

Jun 3, 2023
Finland

Modification from Fox Float X2 Performance to Performance Elite was as expensive as price of new Fox Float X2 Performance Elite shock so ended up ordering new shock. There is only a little difference in valving of new shock so need to find out how new shock will act. After test ride with new shock I will decide how to modificate shocks stock shimming or is it even needed with HSC and HSR adjustments.

2023 Series FLOAT X2 2pos-Adj​

Serial number: 1023974-0005-T
Part number: 979-00-868
Description: 2023, FLOAT X2, P-Se, A, 2pos-Adj, YT, Capra 29, 230, 65, CL, RM, Rezi CM, Standard, Neutral Logo

P-Se=Performance Series Elite
A=Anodised black
65mm=shock travel
CL=Compression Light
RM=Rebound Medium
Rezi CM=?(Rezi?, Compression Medium?)

New Fox Float X2 Performance Elite is here.

I will try it as it is with little different valving compared to stock shock and let’s see is shimming needed.

IMG_7234.jpeg IMG_7245.jpeg IMG_7246.jpeg

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Finally got myself a decent front light setup! I can finally get out on a night ride. Been wanting to do this for a while now. Interested to see if helmet or bike mounting is best. Currently setup below the bars but likely move it to the top as not sure if the clearance is great in the event of an off. Can’t wait to get out on a night ride!

IMG_8072.jpeg IMG_8073.jpeg

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Finally got myself a decent front light setup! I can finally get out on a night ride. Been wanting to do this for a while now. Interested to see if helmet or bike mounting is best. Currently setup below the bars but likely move it to the top as not sure if the clearance is great in the event of an off. Can’t wait to get out on a night ride!

View attachment 129287 View attachment 129288
I Love night riding. Typically have a bar mounted light of 1500 lumens and a helmet light of 1000 lumens. More on the bars could be nicer but this works very well. Have fun!!

Edit: Oh bar light has a wider light throw/spread to light the general trail. Helmet light is more spot to see where you look. Hence both. Check out Light and Motion lights for a light weight 1000 lumen helmet light without cables.

One thing I did wonder is if canyon could’ve put a usb port to allow lights and Garmin etc. to be charged or powered as we use them

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles