2024 Strive:ON

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hah, thanks! TBH, I've never replaced a headset bearing in my life. How long do they usually last? And does that mean you'll keep this bike long enough to require a service?!
I changed my Trek Rail headset bearings last week. Bike had 750 miles on it and was 12 months old. The bearing had a bit of life left in it but was a bit rusty / crunchy and there was a small amount of play in the bearing.

Its one of those that would have longer but I like to keep on top of some things when I can.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I changed my Trek Rail headset bearings last week. Bike had 750 miles on it and was 12 months old. The bearing had a bit of life left in it but was a bit rusty / crunchy and there was a small amount of play in the bearing.

Its one of those that would have longer but I like to keep on top of some things when I can.
Ah, you've still got the Rail then?

I have no idea how many miles I rode as a kid, but never did any proper maintenance on anything. I've never had a fork serviced or changed a bearing. Just put far too much oil on the chain and rode the bike. Never even replaced a chain!

Mind you, bikes and their bits were somewhat cheaper back then! You could buy a whole headset for less than Canyon charge for replacement bearings!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Ah, you've still got the Rail then?

I have no idea how many miles I rode as a kid, but never did any proper maintenance on anything. I've never had a fork serviced or changed a bearing. Just put far too much oil on the chain and rode the bike. Never even replaced a chain!

Mind you, bikes and their bits were somewhat cheaper back then! You could buy a whole headset for less than Canyon charge for replacement bearings!
Sold the rail last week (wanted to get it sorted before sale!)

CaptainPuke

Nov 3, 2020
Top North
Thoughts on the bike? And how does the colour look in person?
Need to ride again (possibly this avvo) with suspension dialled in but wow… it’s better than I could have imagined. But I can’t do any better than robs video for a descriptive review so… I won’t!

Honestly wasn’t that keen on the colour during unboxing but it’s really grown on me. The way the paint job hard cuts from flat to metallic near the motor but gradually fades on the seat tube is really nice imho and the canyon habit of printing bolt spec (diameter, length and torque setting) of each bolt adds a lovely subtle detail.

Can you tell I like it?

CaptainPuke

Nov 3, 2020
Top North
Headset bearings are not necessary. I added them as it reduces the time I need in the future to find the correct bearing and faff around with ordering etc! Probably cheaper doing it your way but I went for path of least resistance!
I’ve never had to replace any, provided you clean out and relube regularly

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Need to ride again (possibly this avvo) with suspension dialled in but wow… it’s better than I could have imagined. But I can’t do any better than robs video for a descriptive review so… I won’t!

Honestly wasn’t that keen on the colour during unboxing but it’s really grown on me. The way the paint job hard cuts from flat to metallic near the motor but gradually fades on the seat tube is really nice imho and the canyon habit of printing bolt spec (diameter, length and torque setting) of each bolt adds a lovely subtle detail.

Can you tell I like it?
Regarding the suspension, when you add air you're supposed to pump the suspension a few times to equalise pressures inside it, so I guess that's why you had to keep adding air. (Yes, I watched your video, you pu55y!) 😉

James22

May 15, 2023
England
I'm nearly convinced about switching from my Focus Sam2 to the Strive. Questions on sizing. I'm 5'8 and sit in the middle of the two sizes (small and medium) and the Focus is a medium. Is anyone in the same situation and having to choose? What size have you gone for?
I'm 5'9 so in between like you, but i rode both at a demo day and instantly loved the small. The medium felt a bit of a hand full on trails i know well. I did find it slightly cramped while seated though with the TT at 584. Reach is spot on, and for me, i think that's what matters.

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
I'm 5'9 so in between like you, but i rode both at a demo day and instantly loved the small. The medium felt a bit of a hand full on trails i know well. I did find it slightly cramped while seated though with the TT at 584. Reach is spot on, and for me, i think that's what matters.
That’s good to know. I’m likely to order a small. It’s seems a popular size!

CaptainPuke

Nov 3, 2020
Top North
So, managed an hour on some trials that I know a little - this thing is a BEAST! Was riding with my mate who has a Whyte 180rsx in a large size, I have to say the sizes feel comparible, if anything the canyon feels slightly larger, although my bike feels slacker and more stable due to, in part, the 29er front (mates bike is 27.5 both ends). It’s a proper weapon and I haven’t even taken it off any really big drops yet.

CaptainPuke

Nov 3, 2020
Top North
One thing that is irritating is the alarm feature. Despite having the phone in my pocket, every time (so far) I have moved the bike with the power off it’s activated the alarm (you get a warning noise then the alarm siren follows a few seconds later) before the bike registers that the phone really is nearby and then deactivates. So the alarm is constantly going off. If that isn’t magically sorted in the next few days that feature will be getting deactivated.

Also, when I swapped bikes with my mate, soon as my phone went out of range the electric assist was deactivated. The alarm wasn’t triggered but yeah if you are using the phone lock feature you will need to deactivate it to let your mate ride it, or give them the phone too

CaptainPuke

Nov 3, 2020
Top North
IMG_2614.png

CaptainPuke

Nov 3, 2020
Top North
So… janky system but if I turn it off I can’t ever have it back, like in a few weeks when they have done a software update and sorted this issue? Cheers for that Bosch.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
One thing that is irritating is the alarm feature. Despite having the phone in my pocket, every time (so far) I have moved the bike with the power off it’s activated the alarm (you get a warning noise then the alarm siren follows a few seconds later) before the bike registers that the phone really is nearby and then deactivates. So the alarm is constantly going off. If that isn’t magically sorted in the next few days that feature will be getting deactivated.

Also, when I swapped bikes with my mate, soon as my phone went out of range the electric assist was deactivated. The alarm wasn’t triggered but yeah if you are using the phone lock feature you will need to deactivate it to let your mate ride it, or give them the phone too
I don’t recall having this issue. What phone are you using? Wonder if it’s related to OS on phone at all? Is the app running in the background?

(It does however operate like you explain if I give the bike to someone)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A word of caution if basing sizing on reach figures. Already pointed out is the fact that reach is measured between a point vertical with the BB and the centre of the steerer so is no guide to effective top tube length which also depends on seat tube lower and upper angle............the Strive being pretty steep..........and saddle position can be adjusted at least 10mm forward or back. Cockpit fit can also be modified with higher rise bars. Another variable is body shape! Someone 6ft/ 183cm can have long legs and shorter torso........or vice versa. Here is hoping guys who have ordered get the right size for them.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So… janky system but if I turn it off I can’t ever have it back, like in a few weeks when they have done a software update and sorted this issue? Cheers for that Bosch.
I took a look at the GPS tracker/alarm system for my Whyte E160 RSX but rejected it because it also needs the bike lock to be activated. (turns out the unit will not fit under the customised Whyte motor covers anyway!!) If the back up in case of any failure with the phone blutooth connection was possible I would be OK with it but to think the bike would be disabled because of some software or blutooth problem is just not a risk I am prepared to take......in fact with every bike I have had with an APP connection (e.g. back to a 2019 Levo) I leave well alone, recognising that our bike brands are bike experts...not tech experts!!

As a safety measure I use a GPS tracker in my bike..........it cost £40 to buy and the annual subscription is around the same as the Bosch one. The only real difference is that it runs on its own battery so needs recharging.............but it uses no battery when the bike is not being used and is within range of my wifi hub.
For ride tracking I just run Strava on my phone.
Both are totally independant so no impact on the bike if they do not work for whatever reason.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
iPhone 14 pro max…
Balls! Same phone as me. 🤨

As for the E-180RSX, what's your thoughts comparing the two bikes?

That was the other bike I was seriously considering, albeit this year's model with the 29er front end.

Benefits of that bike are that you get an extra 10mm of suspension travel at both ends, Kashima on the suspension, and SRAM's X01 AXS.

Downsides are, it's aluminium and around 2kgs heavier, and has the older Bosch system with the big bar remote.

I think both bikes are supposed to handle well, though some say the E-180 is too much bike for UK trails. I've still not really worked out what that means though. Too wallowy and soft?

I think the Strive:On is the better fit for me, but it's not too late to change my mind.

CaptainPuke

Nov 3, 2020
Top North
Balls! Same phone as me. 🤨

As for the E-180RSX, what's your thoughts comparing the two bikes?

That was the other bike I was seriously considering, albeit this year's model with the 29er front end.

Benefits of that bike are that you get an extra 10mm of suspension travel at both ends, Kashima on the suspension, and SRAM's X01 AXS.

Downsides are, it's aluminium and around 2kgs heavier, and has the older Bosch system with the big bar remote.

I think both bikes are supposed to handle well, though some say the E-180 is too much bike for UK trails. I've still not really worked out what that means though. Too wallowy and soft?

I think the Strive:On is the better fit for me, but it's not too late to change my mind.
Well, the newer Bosch system controls are certainly nicer (in really not a fan of the old controller/screen combo on the Whyte and would be worried about it getting wiped out in an off) but the motors feel largely the same (not sure if the motors are actually any different at all?)

Yeah the weight diff is noticeable but… it’s a full fat eBike. It’s not as big a deal as on an analogue bike imho, but yeah I’d give the edge to the canyon. Deffo feels a bit lighter and more playful. Maybe the extra weight of the Whyte would be a plus if you’re smashing huge World Cup tracks all the time but I’d sooner have less weight myself.

They both handle great, the canyon deffo wins out for me with the 29er front but the Whyte with a 29er front would be that bit closer. But at the end of the day, the lighter weight and the geo on the canyon is all the win. It’s early days still and I have more dialling in to do but…. I’m a VERY happy punter (apart from the alarm thing ha ha)

Only other consideration for some folks is the alloy v carbon thing. I had ordered the alloy levo and was happy with that on the basis that the alloy frame would be more suited to a bike I’m going to smash the living piss out of.

Either way you go, you’ll be getting a beast of a bike!

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Seriously considering the Strive on now,I've been hovering over a Santa Cruz Heckler for weeks as I have an Bronson & it's a great bike that suits me perfectly, so as the Heckler is essentially the same bike with a motor it makes sense......but the Strive is a better bike by the look of it & better value even though there is an Rsv Axs CC Heckler with £2200 off,its still £500 more than the Strive CFR LTD.
But the Heckler in marmite grey hung next to my pay dirt Gold Bronson will look good & keep my ocd in check though:unsure:

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Well, the newer Bosch system controls are certainly nicer (in really not a fan of the old controller/screen combo on the Whyte and would be worried about it getting wiped out in an off) but the motors feel largely the same (not sure if the motors are actually any different at all?)

Yeah the weight diff is noticeable but… it’s a full fat eBike. It’s not as big a deal as on an analogue bike imho, but yeah I’d give the edge to the canyon. Deffo feels a bit lighter and more playful. Maybe the extra weight of the Whyte would be a plus if you’re smashing huge World Cup tracks all the time but I’d sooner have less weight myself.

They both handle great, the canyon deffo wins out for me with the 29er front but the Whyte with a 29er front would be that bit closer. But at the end of the day, the lighter weight and the geo on the canyon is all the win. It’s early days still and I have more dialling in to do but…. I’m a VERY happy punter (apart from the alarm thing ha ha)

Only other consideration for some folks is the alloy v carbon thing. I had ordered the alloy levo and was happy with that on the basis that the alloy frame would be more suited to a bike I’m going to smash the living piss out of.

Either way you go, you’ll be getting a beast of a bike!
Yeah, I think I'd prefer a carbon bike. Especially after seeing the Santa Cruz video of them testing their carbon frames vs aluminium. The carbon frames took way more of a beating and can be repaired more easily if they do get damaged.

Plus EMBN did a video with a carbon frame repair place recently and they're just down the road from me (5 mins away) so I know if I ever needed a carbon repair I could get one done very locally to a high standard.

My other consideration is that I'm quite a light rider, so I suspect I'd be better suited to a lighter bike.

Last edited:

CaptainPuke

Nov 3, 2020
Top North
After driving my van for over an hour this morning with the bike in it and it deciding my phone was out of range and setting off the alarm every 15 mins, then deciding actually my phone was in range I’ve just deactivated it. Get in the sea! Utter bullshit

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
After driving my van for over an hour this morning with the bike in it and it deciding my phone was out of range and setting off the alarm every 15 mins, then deciding actually my phone was in range I’ve just deactivated it. Get in the sea! Utter bullshit
Sounds like a bit of a mare! Shame really, as that's one of the features I'm looking forward to having. Does that also get rid of the GPS subscription?

CaptainPuke

Nov 3, 2020
Top North
Probably something to do with power saving on the bluetooth or the app and needing the settings changing.

Though your way fixes it with more certainty ! :)
No other Bluetooth device in my arsenal disconnects and reconnects itself like this. In any case, as a consumer of a high end product (and I direct this at Bosch and not Canyon) I expect things to work as advertised or at least come with a setup wizard via app or something so I don’t need to mess about.

Brilliantly, despite me deactivating the alarm earlier (and have revived confirmation through the app that my account is inactive), the alarm continued to set itself off in the van all the way home.

I utterly love the bike though. Just washed it and sat in the garden with a brew admiring it and plotting where to take it next

bangy1

May 23, 2023
Aberdeen
High folks, new to the forum as considering buying an EMTB (have demoed a Heckler CS and Levo Turbo Comp in last few weeks) and a seriously considering one of these, I have a couple of questions:

- I am 5ft 10 with a 33in inseam and currently ride a Large 2021 Hightower which fits bang on with the 475 mm reach, I am looking at a medium in these I guess? I have been burned before as had a Large YT Jeffsy which I bought blind and it was def too big for me so want to make sure
- Battery options did most folk upsize their battery when they ordered?
-How does it feel for weight as looks on the heavyside for carbon at 24 kg+ and is it noticeable (i.e. does it just plow on the DH sections?)

Cheers

hubertsk

May 24, 2023
Gdansk, Poland
Hi Folks!
I'm in the market for an eMTB, already rode several bikes, including the Focus Jam2, Scott Patron eRide, and NS E-Fine1, but I decided Canyon would be a better bang for the buck.

I was initially committed to buying a Spectral:ON CFR (2022 model, from Canyon outlet) but now, that the new Strive:ON CFR has been released, I'm puzzled. Since I have my order for Spectral:ON CFR waiting for payment, I sort of still have a choice.

I'm living in Poland, and I'll be using the bike on the local trails near Gdansk (a hilly area) and in the mountains occasionally. I also plan some trips to the Czech Republic and Spain with this bike.

From the beginning, I was planning to upgrade a fork and a shock on the Spectral:ON. Wanted to go with Fox 38 Factory to bump the suspension to 170mm in the front; and (eventually) an X2 on the back.

Pros for Spectral:ON:
- XTR drivetrain and brakes
- 900Wh battery
- Better looking
- Carbon wheels
- Kashima everything 🤩

Pros for Strive:ON:
- Bosch motor
- Built-in GPS and alarm
- Enduro geometry
- Already has 170/160mm suspension
- Easier to buy a replacement battery

Since I'm planning to upgrade fork and shock I can take those two out of the equation.
So the question is basically:
- Is the enduro geometry and the Bosch motor on Strive:ON better than the 900Wh battery, XTR kit, and carbon wheels on Spectral:ON?
- How does the range compare between 750Wh Bosch and 900Wh Shimano systems?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles