2023 Stereo Hybrid Preview

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Wonder if it still has the steering rotation lock like the '22 bikes? I really don't like rotation locks or whatever they're called.

Disappointed it doesn't have an integrated display in the frame and Cube really need to stop putting grey bits on their frames, it looks rubbish it's not even a nice grey, it's just weird patches of a horrible grey that looks like primer and its always in what just seems like random places. If they stuck to solid colours it would make the bikes look much more premium imo.

Any more info on the '23 Stereo 160 would be appreciated as I'm currently trying to decide whether to get a '22 or '23 version 🤔 I don't like the steering lock or the colours of the '22 bikes but if the '23 bikes are just the same then I may as well get a cheaper '22 bike.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I don't see the disadvantage of a steering lock preventing turning more than +-90° so the cables don't rip off.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I don't see the disadvantage of a steering lock preventing turning more than +-90° so the cables don't rip off.
It looks more to do with the forks will hit the frame if the steering lock wasn't there, at least that's what the '22 bike is like.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I don't ride so often with the steering bar turned 90° and the fork fully compressed on my '22 bike, so I don't see the disadvantage here too.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I don't ride so often with the steering bar turned 90° and the fork fully compressed on my '22 bike, so I don't see the disadvantage here too.
It's not when it's compressed, it's the crown of the fork that would hit the downtube even when static with no one on it. It's a crappy design.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
It's not when it's compressed, it's the crown of the fork that would hit the downtube even when static with no one on it. It's a crappy design.
On my '22 the crown of the fork would not hit the downtube, without the angle limiter.

The angle is limited both sides at approx 75°, is it just me that doesn't steer so often further than that?

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
On my '22 the crown of the fork would not hit the downtube, without the angle limiter.

The angle is limited both sides at approx 75°, is it just me that doesn't steer so often further than that?
Weird, I was riding a '22 one yesterday and the fork compression knob would definitely hit the downtube if the steering lock wasn't there.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Maybe you have another fork version?
Mine is the 2022 160SL from my profile picture and it surely won't touch, would leave >5mm of air inbetween.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Iirc the medium has 30mm less reach, which with fixed battery and engine sizes, can only be archieved with bringing the fork closer to the 750wH battery.

At steering bar angle lock position, there is +-10mm horizontal clearance on my "L".

So I guess the angle is even more limited on the "M"

That must also be the reason the "S" is not available with the long 750Wh battery.

Last edited:

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Iirc the medium has 30mm less reach, which with fixed battery and engine sizes, can only be archieved with bringing the fork closer to the 750wH battery.

At steering bar angle lock position, there is +-10mm horizontal clearance on my "L".

So I guess the angle is even more limited on the "M"

That must also be the reason the "S" is not available with the long 750Wh battery.
Yes that must be it.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Basically a new paint job and a few minor component changes. Wonder what the pricing will be like.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
That new black paint part on top looks like someone repaired the cracked top tube, and masked it like we did 30 years ago on our rotten cars.
I hope the don't f*** up the sand 160S(L)

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
That new black paint part on top looks like someone repaired the cracked top tube, and masked it like we did 30 years ago on our rotten cars.
I hope the don't f*** up the sand 160S(L)
I know, I have a '20 Cube in black/grey and it looks awful, even worse up close. The colours are rubbish, not painted well and the grey bits just seem completely random, horrible grey as well, looks like primer in person. Even one suspension linkage is grey on mine but the one on the opposite side of the bike is black, no rhyme or reason for it, just looks rubbish.

Clean

Subscriber
Jul 1, 2022
West Yorkshire
I adore the colourway of my Cube: the matte Flash Grey and Fox Racing Orange work really well, together.

I have now upgraded the running Forks and Shock to Fox Factory and the visual effect is stunning, not to mention the ride! :cool:

I will agree with others, though, that generally, Cube ruin a really nice primary colour with random inclusion of colour blocks where they simply aren’t needed.

Clean

Subscriber
Jul 1, 2022
West Yorkshire
9D69207F-8459-4CC4-8DD7-E1C4BEA48880.jpeg

Oh, it happened, alright. My Bank balance will testify to that! :ROFLMAO:

4FB96C2B-2C34-41F5-A8AF-27F21EE999D5.jpeg

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
That looks very good !!!
The Cube orange spots start to make sense now.
Also the Kashima goes very well with your grey.

Was the 140S 29" fork that bad, or was there just some room for improvement ?

Last edited:

Clean

Subscriber
Jul 1, 2022
West Yorkshire
That looks very good !!!
Also the Kashima goes very well with your grey.
The Cube orange spots start to make sense now.

Was the 140S 29" fork that bad, or was there just some room for improvement ?

There was nothing wrong with the Forks it came with, but I wanted to transform the bike with upgrades, so have been slowly but steadily replacing everything. There is very little left that is original. :oops:

I love to custom my bikes, and the Cube 140SL was a very cost effective platform to start from. Safe to say, it has been a most enjoyable journey (as I am sure you recognise, given your custom build), and I now have a bike that smokes Cube's top of the range bike, on both spec and performance.

She rides like a magic carpet....... :love:

I will pop a thread up, like yours, with the changes I have made and some pictures, when I get chance. (y)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles