2023 Pivot Shuttle SL - Super Light

bryanus

May 2, 2023
United States
Ugh, 4th ride and about 30 miles total....white light of death! I had already updated to the current firmware before my first ride, too. Now trying to see if there is anything I can do to fix this before heading to the shop...should I call Fazua first? Can they do anything remotely?

Update: chatted with Pivot and they sent me the instructions to pull the battery wires and try to wake the battery. Upon doing so, I just disconnected and reconnected the wires as a first attempt before performing the full procedure and then it woke up! White light of death averted!...for now...

I've attached the battery bypass procedure In case anyone needs it.

Attachments

• RIDE 60 Motor Bypass for Charging 2.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 314
Last edited:

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Ugh, 4th ride and about 30 miles total....white light of death! I had already updated to the current firmware before my first ride, too. Now trying to see if there is anything I can do to fix this before heading to the shop...should I call Fazua first? Can they do anything remotely?

Update: chatted with Pivot and they sent me the instructions to pull the battery wires and try to wake the battery. Upon doing so, I just disconnected and reconnected the wires as a first attempt before performing the full procedure and then it woke up! White light of death averted!...for now...

I've attached the battery bypass procedure In case anyone needs it.
Glad you were able to get your bike up and running! Seems absurd to me that us, as consumers, have to go through this. Especially for what they're asking for these bikes. Hope your future riding is trouble free.

Doggy

May 22, 2023
Peoria, Az.
My wife and I have had our Pivot Shuttle SL's for about 3 months, needless to say we have had problems with the Fazua motors on one bike or the other the entire 3 months.
First my bike, brought it home from the LBS and it would not turn on, took it back the same day, Pivot picked the bike up and got it back to me in 3 days, turned out it was a bad battery.
Rode the bike 2 times after that, ran the battery pretty low, after charging the bike it would not turn on again, took it back to the shop, Pivot rep came to the shop and said it needed an update, I guess when the battery went below 10% it shut it down for protection, I guess the update took that function out now.
Bike is now working but when peddling uphill the motor is shutting on and off up the entire hill, I thought to myself I thought this bike was supposed to help me up the hills, lol. It stayed that way the entire ride, so now we head out this last Sat, got 300 yards into the ride and a flashing RED LED appears, tried resetting several times but would not reset, went ahead and rode a shortened ride of 6 miles with no assist, currently the bike is at the shop wainting for an answer on what's wrong, very frustrating.

My Wifes bike
We bought this bike for her specifically for a trip to Moab she was planning with her girlfriend, everything went fine the first day no issues, the second day she gets 7 miles into her ride and the LED light starts flashing RED (Which is a Hard Fault), she rides the rest of the ride with no assist, she calls me when she gets back and I tell her how to do a Reset (Hold switch in the off position for 10 seconds) she does this and the bike starts working again.
3rd day in the first mile the LED light starts flashing Red again, she does the reset and it starts working again, worked fine the rest of the trip.
Now she is back home, first ride after she is home the LED light flashes Red again, tries the reset and it will not work, when she got home I tried it several times but no luck, took it into the shop, I guess they pulled the wires out and did some switching of the wires and did a reset that way, I believe someone posted on here the instructions to do that, we got the bike back and it has now worked well the last 2 times out.

Mode switch on this bike is junk, mine will not work unless I use 2 hands on it, my wife's sticks in the on position as well, supposably Fazua is sending 2 new ones, I hope it's an upgrade.

Sorry for the long read, let me know if any of you have had the issue with the motor shutting on and off while peddling, Fazua has a third-party answer their questions and have had complaints about that and hopes there will be a fix in the next update which they say will be this week.

By the way I love how this bike handles, it is crazy fast downhill, just wish I had a little more help uphill.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Ugh! The joke around my bike shop is Fazua is the new 'F' word. So sorry to hear about your troubles Doggy. Just picked my bike up today after being in the shop for 3 weeks. Like you, I was losing assist every 5 to 10 seconds. Did it for 6 miles and then cleared up for the next 6. On a ride the next weekend got maybe 100 yards from the trailhead and same no assist issue with a grinding noise when trying to pedal again and no trouble led's. They ended up replacing the top tube led controller hub. I love the Pivot part of the bike but the Fazua bits are ruining the whole Ebike Lite experience. If I can keep it running long enough I will look to sell it with a large discount and full disclosure to buyer.

Doggy

May 22, 2023
Peoria, Az.
I have 2 of these things, so would hate to take a huge hit selling them at this point.
I'll update the thread when I get the bike back, I'm heading to South Dakota in 3 weeks, crossing my fingers I have it back before then.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
My buddy is a pivot dealer in the US, he’s stopped selling the SL already. He had 2 in his shop that needed motors, was told that Fazua has no motors for warranty replacement so he ended up swapping the bikes out with different models. He said they’re having all kind of issues and he wouldn’t recommend anything with a Fazua motor at all.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Uughh.. ugly stories you guys are going through. Luckily mine is flawless so far except for a blue led everytime I try to turn it on. 2nd try always works perfectly. I'm very very happy with that bike. Best I've had. Hope yours get better - maybe with today's fw update..
My blue light acts the same. Hesitant to do the update to add more surprises to my list of things that don't work right 😵‍💫

Doggy

May 22, 2023
Peoria, Az.
Uughh.. ugly stories you guys are going through. Luckily mine is flawless so far except for a blue led everytime I try to turn it on. 2nd try always works perfectly. I'm very very happy with that bike. Best I've had. Hope yours get better - maybe with today's fw update..
I'm glad to hear good news from an owner, I just updated my wife's bike, everything went well, my SL when working is awesome, I love PIvot's.

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
I did the update yesterday and one thing I noticed is, that the motor really immediately supports. For example: we rode up a very steep climb on loose and wet rocks and pebbles and stuff. Was around 30-35% steep! I had wheelspin several times and almost fell once. Then I had to get back on the bike in the middle of that climb. Once I found a place where I had traction under the rear wheel it was easy to take off and get back into rhythm. Without immediate support from the motor that would not have been possible. 💪🏻

Doggy

May 22, 2023
Peoria, Az.
Got my Bike back today, I had the Red led Hard Fault, the BS did the same thing they did to my wife’s bike, took the bottom plate off and crossed some wires and reboot, the diagram that was earlier posted in this thread is what they did.
The bike was updated and I’m now in Flagstaff Az in the cool weather and going to give it a try tomorrow. 🙏

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Well, my days with the Shuttle SL are over. Owned for 102 days and it was at the shop several times waiting for direction from Fazua for half of those. Maybe I just got a bad one. The owner of the bike shop wrote me a check for what I paid. Stand up operation! Great bike when it was working but for me that wasn't often enough for me to keep dealing with the issues. Wishing better luck for present and future owners.

Doggy

May 22, 2023
Peoria, Az.
Well, my days with the Shuttle SL are over. Owned for 102 days and it was at the shop waiting for direction from Fazua for half of those. Maybe I just got a bad one. The owner of the bike shop wrote me a check for what I paid. Stand up operation! Great bike when it was working but for me that wasn't often enough for me to keep dealing with the issues. Wishing better luck for present and future owners.

Good on your dealer to step up, funny because I had the same conversation with my dealer and they were not to receptive to that idea.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Good on your dealer to step up, funny because I had the same conversation with my dealer and they were not to receptive to that idea.
Step up they did. Pivot touched base with me twice after my rather scathing email about my bike. They indicated they would work something out to make it right with the dealer.

Doggy

May 22, 2023
Peoria, Az.
Step up they did. Pivot touched base with me twice after my rather scathing email about my bike. They indicated they would work something out to make it right with the dealer.
Problem is I have 2 of them, 😳 I’m hoping these bikes turn out to be problem free, I really like how it handles.
Let us know what bike you buy and how it compares to the Pivot, that is if you got to ride it enough to compare.

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Well, my days with the Shuttle SL are over. Owned for 102 days and it was at the shop several times waiting for direction from Fazua for half of those. Maybe I just got a bad one. The owner of the bike shop wrote me a check for what I paid. Stand up operation! Great bike when it was working but for me that wasn't often enough for me to keep dealing with the issues. Wishing better luck for present and future owners.
Good Result, Fazua systems really are looking to be sup par. I won't be getting one until they sort the reliability issues out.

ollie3856

Aug 16, 2020
Sonoma
Interesting, I have been going back and forth with Pivot on the same issue and all they are willing to do is give me a bro deal on another Pivot bike...

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Interesting, I have been going back and forth with Pivot on the same issue and all they are willing to do is give me a bro deal on another Pivot bike...
The owner of the bike shop that I bought it at is absolutely awesome. Granted I have done a lot of business with him over the years but he really stepped up and did the right thing. I hope that Pivot will do the same for him.

Last edited:

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Problem is I have 2 of them, 😳 I’m hoping these bikes turn out to be problem free, I really like how it handles.
Let us know what bike you buy and how it compares to the Pivot, that is if you got to ride it enough to compare.
I've ridden the fuel EXE and again when the Pivot was working it ran circles around that bike. Maybe someone who is in better shape than I would appreciate it more. I ended up ordering an Orbea Rise H15 with the 540 watt hour battery. Think that would be a good fit for my 72-year-old legs. We'll find out.

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Sorry to read all of these negative F60 reports as my Relay (with the same motor) arrives today.

Too late to back out now I'd say.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Took a deep breath and just performed the firmware update. Riding in a couple of hours and will report back. Here is a link to the write up from emtb-news.de

The Relay thread is dead so figured I'd post Fazua motor stuff here.

Had my first ride today and was an absolute turd on ledgey technical climbs that I usually kill it on, on my a SjEvo. My shock had too low of psi so my pedals were hitting constantly, I tried out flats for the first time in years and I felt the notable power delay.

I've altered all 3 of these things and hope to have a better experience tomorrow.

I have been unable to get the Fazua app to connect, can anyone provide any assistance in this matter? I can see the Bike on my Phone under the BT options, my password seemed to work, but the app can't find it.

Thanks

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon

Had my first ride today and was an absolute turd on ledgey technical climbs that I usually kill it on, on my a SjEvo. My shock had too low of psi so my pedals were hitting constantly, I tried out flats for the first time in years and I felt the notable power delay.

I've altered all 3 of these things and hope to have a better experience tomorrow.

I have been unable to get the Fazua app to connect, can anyone provide any assistance in this matter? I can see the Bike on my Phone under the BT options, my password seemed to work, but the app can't find it.

Thanks
Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Doggy

May 22, 2023
Peoria, Az.

Thanks
Man I hope your bike doesn’t do the same as mine, on a positive note, I took my bike out the last 2 days after getting back from the shop and it performed awesome.

My wife’s bike has been working great until yesterday, at the parking area getting ready to go, turn the bike on and 5 flashing Red led’s 😡 do a reset with the controller and it would never stop doing that code. So back to the shop Tue. Ugh, real tired of this, they need a recall on this motor until they get it figured out.

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas
I have the pivot SL and as you; I love the bike. My only complaint is at 225lbs I prefer the full power bike in most cases. I have both. I just did the firmware update and I think it is a big deal. The old motor delay caught me out many times when tackling technical terrain. The update helps this hopefully. The only other things that I hope to improve on ;
1. The cranks are too long IMO. I am putting 155s on it soon.
2. I am not sold on the XTR gearing. The ratio is to wide compared to SRAM Eagle . IMO

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles