2023 Pivot Shuttle SL - Super Light

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Some guys on the Fuel EXe board who use minimal power are getting great range. On the order of 20+ miles and 4000+ feet. With the bigger battery on the SL, I'd guess you could do better. Has anyone dialed back the power and gotten anything like this kind of range? I'm used to climbing 3000' with no motor, so I expect I could get away with little boost as I'm just trying to keep my HR down, at the same speed as I normally ride.

MarkE192

Aug 1, 2022
USA
Some guys on the Fuel EXe board who use minimal power are getting great range. On the order of 20+ miles and 4000+ feet. With the bigger battery on the SL, I'd guess you could do better. Has anyone dialed back the power and gotten anything like this kind of range? I'm used to climbing 3000' with no motor, so I expect I could get away with little boost as I'm just trying to keep my HR down, at the same speed as I normally ride.
Today I rode 19 miles with 3400 feet elevation. 8 miles in river and 11 miles in breeze. I weigh 200 lbs. Had 8% battery left. Longest ride with the bike to date was 23 miles 2900 feet elevation with 11% battery left. Mostly riding in breeze. For me 20 miles and 4000 feet would be close to max range at my current breeze setting (150 watt max power). Hope that gives you some idea of range.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Today I rode 19 miles with 3400 feet elevation. 8 miles in river and 11 miles in breeze. I weigh 200 lbs. Had 8% battery left. Longest ride with the bike to date was 23 miles 2900 feet elevation with 11% battery left. Mostly riding in breeze. For me 20 miles and 4000 feet would be close to max range at my current breeze setting (150 watt max power). Hope that gives you some idea of range.
It does, thank you.
It would be very unusual for me to ride a trail on an ebike that I don't currently ride on a mountain bike.
I'm in Park City, Utah which has well over 400 miles of singletrack and rarely greater than a 10-12% grade.
I don't know what my torque or power output is on my rides, but I can't imagine really needing more than an assist of 1/3rd of my torque output or 1/3rd of my power output continuously. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how this motor/human interface will work for me. Not having ridden ebikes before, it's likely my assumptions are wrong.

Last edited:

MarkE192

Aug 1, 2022
USA
It does, thank you.
It would be very unusual for me to ride a trail on an ebike that I don't currently ride on a mountain bike.
I'm in Park City, Utah which has well over 400 miles of singletrack and rarely greater than a 10-12% grade.
I don't know what my torque or power output is on my rides, but I can't imagine really needing more than an assist of 1/3rd of my torque output or 1/3rd of my power output continuously. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how this motor/human interface will work for me. Not having ridden ebikes before, it's likely my assumptions

Screenshot_20230218_072316.jpg

OKCORRELL

Nov 27, 2022
Series63test
I talked to HQ and It's probably a bushing issue in the Fuzua motor. I would talk to your dealer, let the know this bushing is not supposed to have any play (allowing flex). That can cause the creaking sound when you pedal.

View attachment 99024
What the resolution on this one? I am experiencing the same issue as any bushing was pushed in. I had to pull the motor to solve for the deep sleep issue. After motor reinstall, it squeaks and squeals like a pig when pedaling!!!

nature

Mar 8, 2023
france
Good morning I allow myself to ask you for information by this return email i bought a pivot sl mountain bike with a fazua ride 60 motor I would like to mount a headlight and I only have a usb socket on the control led hub on the frame do you have a headlight with a usb socket to be able to plug it into the bike thank you in advance, cordially patrick

nature

Mar 8, 2023
france
Good morning has anyone mounted a headlight on the sl pivot and what brand and how did you connect it, usb or on the motor or battery in the frame? THANKS

OKCORRELL

Nov 27, 2022
Series63test
Good morning has anyone mounted a headlight on the sl pivot and what brand and how did you connect it, usb or on the motor or battery in the frame? THANKS
After looking into this, I ended sticking with my outbound (battery powered) bar and helmet set. The main reason was to avoid having an extra lead hanging around when the hardwired light was not in use. The only way to get around this would some light disassembly and cable management. Since my (the) ideal setup is a bar mounted flood and a helmet mounted spot light, I would need a separate helmet light no matter if I was hard wired bar flood or not.

moranpepe

Mar 9, 2023
Puerto Rico
What the resolution on this one? I am experiencing the same issue as any bushing was pushed in. I had to pull the motor to solve for the deep sleep issue. After motor reinstall, it squeaks and squeals like a pig when pedaling!!!
Curious as well on the resolution to this. My bike makes the same noise and after checking EVERYTHING else my LBS narrowed it down to the bushing. Allegedly FAZUA told him that it was placed with lock right when it should’ve been installed with anti seize grease. But no final resolution as far as I know.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
After looking into this, I ended sticking with my outbound (battery powered) bar and helmet set. The main reason was to avoid having an extra lead hanging around when the hardwired light was not in use. The only way to get around this would some light disassembly and cable management. Since my (the) ideal setup is a bar mounted flood and a helmet mounted spot light, I would need a separate helmet light no matter if I was hard wired bar flood or not.
I made the same choice. I had the Lupine system on my Levo and I LOVED it. However they haven't released one for the Pivot yet and frankly the ability to plug my light into the controller in the event that it dies, (likely because some dumbass forgot to charge it) makes me happy to just use the Outbound system. It's arguably the best bike light I've had since I bought the original Night Sun back in the day. Sadly I didn't get a lot of night rides in this year... they are pretty much my favorite rides!

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
After riding a FF Kenevo, Kenevo SL, Bullit, Scor 4060 Z over the last years I was excited to see the Fuel EXe and the Shuttle SL. I love the idea of a lightweight EMTB, but the KSL lacked some power for my riding here in central Switzerland, right at the foot of the Alps. DH it's the best of the emtbs I've ridden. The Scor was the best of the FF, as it was the most nimble and playful of those.
Today I've tested the Pivot Shuttle SL Pro and bought it right away. It's pretty expensive though.. I could have gotten a Fuel EXe 9.7 for 6k! The XT in Mulsanne for 8.9k. The yellow one for 8.7k. Some shops have pretty decent sales right now. But I went all in for the Shuttle SL Pro, as it felt perfect right away. Size L for me at 1.78m/5ft10 feels perfect. At ~18.2kg and with that amount of power it might well be the perfect do-it-all bike.
So excited to go out on the trails the next couple of days. 🎉😎

MVIMG_20230411_154010.jpg

boltd

Subscriber
Feb 8, 2023
California
After riding a FF Kenevo, Kenevo SL, Bullit, Scor 4060 Z over the last years I was excited to see the Fuel EXe and the Shuttle SL. I love the idea of a lightweight EMTB, but the KSL lacked some power for my riding here in central Switzerland, right at the foot of the Alps. DH it's the best of the emtbs I've ridden. The Scor was the best of the FF, as it was the most nimble and playful of those.
Today I've tested the Pivot Shuttle SL Pro and bought it right away. It's pretty expensive though.. I could have gotten a Fuel EXe 9.7 for 6k! The XT in Mulsanne for 8.9k. The yellow one for 8.7k. Some shops have pretty decent sales right now. But I went all in for the Shuttle SL Pro, as it felt perfect right away. Size L for me at 1.78m/5ft10 feels perfect. At ~18.2kg and with that amount of power it might well be the perfect do-it-all bike.
So excited to go out on the trails the next couple of days. 🎉😎

View attachment 111341
Nice! I acquired a Shuttle SL to add to my KSL. The Shuttle SL has been perfect compliment to the KSL for the trails here in Northern California.

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
I went for a first short ride today and am impressed. Plenty of power, boost mode let's you fly uphill and the most surprising part: range!
I just went to my local trail. On the KSL I've reached the top at around 30% battery left, all in Turbo. On the Shuttle SL I still had 60%, after ~5.2km, 550m up, just shy under 30mins, all in Rocket (10-15% steep avg) and 2x boost on technical climbs on wet ground with rocks and ~20-25% steep ramps.
After 15km (30% climbs, 30% DH, 30% flat) and ~1h I had over 40% left. On my first ride! So the battery is not at full capacity yet and it was not really warm either (~10°C). Tires are DHR DD MaxxTerra and Assegai Exo+ MaxxGrip. So nothing rolling as well as the stock tires..
The motor is pretty silent, pedaling in breeze is very natural. The bike is light, agile, very nicely balanced. Just love it! Glad I've chosen the Shuttle. 😜

Roverbike

Apr 14, 2023
Florida
Hi everyone. I'm about to purchase my 1st emtb, I currently ride a Ripley. My obvious choice is the Pivot, BUT I want to be able to take the bike with me during business trips (i.e. air). Has anyone taken out the battery?
It's ok if its 'difficult', my concern if it's a process that voids warranty or could break electronics.

I know I can ship it by bikeflights but it adds complexity and cost.
As far as getting the battery to the destination, seems there is no easy way, still trying to figure it out. With Trek one could leave the battery behind and take a couple of the extended battery packs in the cabin (160W ea).

Thanks!

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
At ~18.2kg and with that amount of power it might well be the perfect do-it-all bike.
Did you actually weight it? That sounds too low. Mine (same bike same size) was 18.5kg w/o pedals + tubeless. That's a small, but not insignificant difference. I'm a little fed up with manufacturer claimed weights. There's no way Pivot's claimed 36.25 lbs for the World Cup build is real. Even with no sealant it's at least 1 lb off. Maybe it was an extra small...

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I did one of my "benchmark" rides today. Basically, if the battery can survive this loop, I'm in a good place. You can see the route here:

It's actually more like 24.8 miles (39.9km), 3,419 ft elevation (1042m). Ride took 2:22. For comparison I can do this ride in ~1:55 on my "full fat" Crafty w/ 625 battery. I have not been brave enough to do the whole ride in Turbo on my Crafty, but I can manage about 50/50 Turbo/EMTB.

On the Shuttle I had to do a heavy mix of River, Breeze, Rocket, and off. Battery died about 1.4 miles from the end. I was hoping for a *bit* more range. I did the same ride on an Orbea Rise M-LTD and managed to stretch that tiny 365wh battery til the end. I did it in 2:18 so it wasn't like there was a huge speed difference. This would definitely be a range extender ride for the Shuttle...if the range extender actually existed (not in 2023 according to Fazua :mad:).

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
Did you actually weight it? That sounds too low. Mine (same bike same size) was 18.5kg w/o pedals + tubeless. That's a small, but not insignificant difference. I'm a little fed up with manufacturer claimed weights. There's no way Pivot's claimed 36.25 lbs for the World Cup build is real. Even with no sealant it's at least 1 lb off. Maybe it was an extra small...
I'm gonna weight mine when I'm back from holidays. 👍🏻

bryanus

May 2, 2023
United States
I'm gonna weight mine when I'm back from holidays. 👍🏻
Just got my Medium XO1 yesterday! Of course, the dealer forgot to include the pairing code, but Pivot chat support was able to sort it for me.

Weighed 40.25lbs with tubes, no pedals. I'm actually a bit surprised it doesn't weigh more. I'll be swapping in my Reynolds carbon wheelset with CushCore Pros and Maxxis DHF/DHR, so we'll see how much that adds.

Anyone have tips to connect the bike/Toolbox using a Macbook? I've tried several USB-C cables and also the stock white charging cable to no avail: "Not Connected".

Update: Hmm, can't seem to connect to the bike using the code provided by Pivot either. Tried both iOS and Android. Help?

Last edited:

Bman

Mar 12, 2021
Dallas, TX
Just got my Medium XO1 yesterday! Of course, the dealer forgot to include the pairing code, but Pivot chat support was able to sort it for me.

Weighed 40.25lbs with tubes, no pedals. I'm actually a bit surprised it doesn't weigh more. I'll be swapping in my Reynolds carbon wheelset with CushCore Pros and Maxxis DHF/DHR, so we'll see how much that adds.

Anyone have tips to connect the bike/Toolbox using a Macbook? I've tried several USB-C cables and also the stock white charging cable to no avail: "Not Connected".

Update: Hmm, can't seem to connect to the bike using the code provided by Pivot either. Tried both iOS and Android. Help?
I had that issue. Turning the bike on and off a couple times got it to connect. And turning off your phone (if you have the Fazua app on it) might help also.

bryanus

May 2, 2023
United States
I had that issue. Turning the bike on and off a couple times got it to connect. And turning off your phone (if you have the Fazua app on it) might help also.
Thanks! I was finally able to get it to connect to my Macbook. Not sure what the trick was, but this time while I had the cable connected, I did a full shutdown (hold controller ring down for 8 seconds), then I saw a single blue light and all of a sudden the Toolbox application said it was connected! Annoyingly, I discovered that the dealer had not updated the firmware before shipping like they said they would! So I applied "230202-final" successfully.

And as for the mobile app, it turns out that Pivot apparently gave me the wrong pairing code. When I told them I was having issues with the mobile app, they sent me a new code and that one worked right away.

oettam20

Mar 3, 2021
Lugano
I went for a first short ride today and am impressed. Plenty of power, boost mode let's you fly uphill and the most surprising part: range!
I just went to my local trail. On the KSL I've reached the top at around 30% battery left, all in Turbo. On the Shuttle SL I still had 60%, after ~5.2km, 550m up, just shy under 30mins, all in Rocket (10-15% steep avg) and 2x boost on technical climbs on wet ground with rocks and ~20-25% steep ramps.
After 15km (30% climbs, 30% DH, 30% flat) and ~1h I had over 40% left. On my first ride! So the battery is not at full capacity yet and it was not really warm either (~10°C). Tires are DHR DD MaxxTerra and Assegai Exo+ MaxxGrip. So nothing rolling as well as the stock tires..
The motor is pretty silent, pedaling in breeze is very natural. The bike is light, agile, very nicely balanced. Just love it! Glad I've chosen the Shuttle. 😜
Thank you for the very interesting review! how are the ride characteristics of the Shuttle SL compared to the KSL? are you using the bike on the Alps, like me?

The Kenevo sl is a fantastic bike on rough and steep DH, but it's quite boring in all the other normal situation. It seems as overbuilt for 80% of the riding time and sometimes the motor is too weak for the very steep ascent, typical of natural trails on the alps.

On the other side, on paper, the Pivot Shuttle SL, seems too much trail oriented and not studied to be pushed hard on DH... but the reviews say the contrary... how is your experience?

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
Thank you for the very interesting review! how are the ride characteristics of the Shuttle SL compared to the KSL? are you using the bike on the Alps, like me?

The Kenevo sl is a fantastic bike on rough and steep DH, but it's quite boring in all the other normal situation. It seems as overbuilt for 80% of the riding time and sometimes the motor is too weak for the very steep ascent, typical of natural trails on the alps.

On the other side, on paper, the Pivot Shuttle SL, seems too much trail oriented and not studied to be pushed hard on DH... but the reviews say the contrary... how is your experience?
The KSL is like a tank. But I'm surprised by the SL. There's more feedback from what's under your tires for sure, but it's still very forgiving and so easy to ride. Enduro is no problem at all. It's so perfectly balanced. I'm riding in the Alps, on rocks and roots but trails as well. It's very versatile.

oettam20

Mar 3, 2021
Lugano
The KSL is like a tank. But I'm surprised by the SL. There's more feedback from what's under your tires for sure, but it's still very forgiving and so easy to ride. Enduro is no problem at all. It's so perfectly balanced. I'm riding in the Alps, on rocks and roots but trails as well. It's very versatile.
Thank you! It seems like a very eclectic bike! See you on the Swiss trails!

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
So, my Pro in size L is exactly 19.5kgs ready to rock'n'roll with:
DMR vault lacoon oil slick (~500g)
DD DHR and Exo+ Assegai tubeless
SQlab saddle and grips
Renthal Fatbar 35 Carbon 40mm Rise
Small LED lights front and back

So, stock and without pedals it must be somewhere between 18-18.5kg I assume. 💪🏻

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles