2023 Orbea Wild paint/quality issues

Wild owners have you had issues?

• Total voters

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I feel like the Covid boom made bike companies (and even some dealers/shops) lazy and complacent. Trying to buy a pricey ebike at the moment and had expected the bike shops to be fawning over me to get a sale. However, the amount of them that don't reply, or take ages to reply or say they will call you back about something and never do... I guess they must still be busy with enough trade to be able to ignore customers that are ready to throw £6 - £8k at them for a bicycle...?!

Staggering really. If I take a couple of hours to return a client's email I apologise and feel awful, yet some of these bike shops take days. My local Trek dealer rarely seems to answer the phone. (In their defence, they were great with loaning me a demo bike with no hassle and a very flexible return, but even then nobody followed up with me afterwards.)

Maybe once the sales dry up the industry will try a bit harder to get it right again. After the COVID boom I imagine most casual riders have their bike sorted for a while now, so you'd think supply would catch up and sales drop off...?

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
Well I finally received my 2023 Wild. I’m the one who posted the pics in the beginning of this thread.the black cosmic carbon.

The finish is beyond bad. It’s a slap in the face .

It’s like someone took a belt sander to the frame . There is literally no paint ! Just bare carbon. I’ll post pics once I get it put together. Prepare yourself.

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
Well I finally received my 2023 Wild. I’m the one who posted the pics in the beginning of this thread.the black cosmic carbon.

It’s like someone took a belt sander to the frame . There is literally no paint ! Just bare carbon. I’ll post pics once I get it put together. Prepare yourself.

If it’s so bad, why are you putting it together instead of filing a warranty claim?

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I was seriously considering a 2023 Wild. I think I will pass after reading this thread. In addition, where I live, the local Orbea dealer said they are less than thrilled with the service and communication from Orbea.
The reason why I sold my Rise before the 2 year motor warranty was coming up and I could still get decent value for it. I didn’t want to take any chances of dealing with their well known less than stellar response times. This thread is not doing them any favors.

I had the stock blue Rise M10 and the paint was top quality. Nothing like the 3rd World paint that I’m seeing on these new Wilds.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland

Look forward to the pics... Isnt the cosmic carbon frame not meant to look raw and kinda unfinished anyway?

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Look forward to the pics... Isnt the cosmic carbon frame not meant to look raw and kinda unfinished anyway?
This is what I don't get about naked carbon frames. They don't look like the carbon weave roof of a BMW or the crushed carbon tub of a Lamborghini... They look like black/greyish papier mache.

So why go for an exposed finish?

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
This is disappointing to hear. My favourite bike is my Orbea Oiz. Not sure I could love a bike more.

Mine is a full carbon build but I’ve also seen some quality paint and above average welding on entry level Orbea’s and that type of care on “budget” bikes impressed me.

But the paint job and after care response to these Wild’s is disappointing for sure.

I originally ordered an Orbea Rise but couldn’t get an ETA and heard of other shops that couldn’t get an indication of they’d get a bike for the year. That kind of worried me… What if my bike develops a problem, what will the response timelines be like?

I ordered a Trek (Fuel EXe) instead. Not only did my husband and I get clear ETAs, but both were delivered earlier then expected (mine had to be built so took a few months), and one of my favourite LBS is a Trek dealer so if there was a problem, it’d be a one-stop shop for both the motor and the rest of the bike.

Apr 4, 2023
United States
This is disappointing to hear. My favourite bike is my Orbea Oiz. Not sure I could love a bike more.

Mine is a full carbon build but I’ve also seen some quality paint and above average welding on entry level Orbea’s and that type of care on “budget” bikes impressed me.

But the paint job and after care response to these Wild’s is disappointing for sure.

I originally ordered an Orbea Rise but couldn’t get an ETA and heard of other shops that couldn’t get an indication of they’d get a bike for the year. That kind of worried me… What if my bike develops a problem, what will the response timelines be like?

I ordered a Trek (Fuel EXe) instead. Not only did my husband and I get clear ETAs, but both were delivered earlier then expected (mine had to be built so took a few months), and one of my favourite LBS is a Trek dealer so if there was a problem, it’d be a one-stop shop for both the motor and the rest of the bike.
Orbea is worth around $300 Million.
Trek is worth around $1 Billion.

Orbea is tiny compared to Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. You should expect much worse customer service from Orbea and much higher lead times. Everything coming from Spain does not help at all. My new bike took about 3 weeks to ship. If I cracked the frame I hope it would only take that long.

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
What do you think?

IMG_1310.jpeg IMG_1309.jpeg IMG_1308.jpeg IMG_1307.jpeg IMG_1306.jpeg

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
Tbh, the raw carbon look on these frames doesn't appeal to me. It does look pretty bad but I guess the lighting conditions will make a significant difference highlighting the carbon fibre weave also?

I'm assuming the actual final gloss coat is smooth though and not rough which is how it looks in the pics? If that's the case then I guess this is how Orbea want them to ship

Apr 4, 2023
United States
Tbh, the raw carbon look on these frames doesn't appeal to me. It does look pretty bad but I guess the lighting conditions will make a significant difference highlighting the carbon fibre weave also?

I'm assuming the actual final gloss coat is smooth though and not rough which is how it looks in the pics? If that's the case then I guess this is how Orbea want them to ship
Agreed

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa

I think that’s the problem.
Final gloss coat is absorbed into the carbon .
The actual paint is non existent; hence the final coat is sucked in

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa

Love my OIZ. It’s a work of art

IMG_1293.jpeg

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Just for reference. Just to let you know I’m sot some whiny #%€¥£

This is my Orbea that I’ve been riding for the last 15 years. Look at the finish. Impecable!!

View attachment 114600 View attachment 114601
Just a different weave that doesn’t pertain to the carbon weave on frames by all manufacturers. I’m no carbon expert, but just what I’ve seen. When you purchase carbon rims directly from China companies, you get the option of 3 different weaves, with one looking like your frame.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
It's hard to tell from the photo's if that's paint defect or not. Orbea have clearcoats/candy colours that show up the carbon layup. From the Rise's I've seen in person I've always thought it looked nice and is what Orbea intended it to look like. The bolt holes and half rounded bolts do look bad though!

The solid paint from your first set of photo's are what looks really poor from the photo's.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Thing is with a solid paint colour you can make good any imperfections before painting
But when it comes to carbon fibre trying to strip back and clear it, your down to the way they layer it
Most of the time because it's just a solid colour there's no so much attention given to the accuracy of the first layer

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Wow, that's awful. Did the work experience kid paint that with a brush and some emulsion?!

Sorry, but when you're selling bicycles for car money they need to be in much better condition than that. Lazy lazy Orbea.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
This is/was my bike. Orbea change it now into the carbon raw frame, I will get next month, hopefully in a good condition. I will keep you updated.

View attachment 114685 View attachment 114686 View attachment 114687 View attachment 114688 View attachment 114689 View attachment 114690 View attachment 114691
That's bad, and I thought treks paint on the fuel exe was poor quality,but that's even worse.

Fwiw my old 2020 wild fs is perfect. Orbea are clearly struggling to get the frames right

FFM

Feb 27, 2023
Germany
Wow, that's awful. Did the work experience kid paint that with a brush and some emulsion?!

Sorry, but when you're selling bicycles for car money they need to be in much better condition than that. Lazy lazy Orbea.
Looks like my graffiti skils back in the days 😂

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Do you know where the black sharpie went? I have a few spots that need to be touched up on this $12.99 model before it gets shipped out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles