2023 Orbea Wild paint/quality issues

Wild owners have you had issues?

• Total voters

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
This is/was my bike. Orbea change it now into the carbon raw frame, I will get next month, hopefully in a good condition. I will keep you updated.

View attachment 114685 View attachment 114686 View attachment 114687 View attachment 114688 View attachment 114689 View attachment 114690 View attachment 114691
Honestly this is shockingly bad, it's inexcusable that a bike company and a bike shop have shipped this to a customer as acceptable.

I hope you get your issue resolved.

Last edited:

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
What total shit workmanship its all hand sprayed hopefully the person or persons letting that go past there quality control get the push
When there masking up bearing settings and so on there just not doing accurately so when the remove them there just tearing the paint away where it not cured enough

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
I was just about ready to order the Wild M-LTD as I want the race motor. After seeing the paint problems, I'll pass. I cant imagine how Id feel spending $12k on a bike just to find a crappy paint job.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
What other bikes beside the Crestline and Orbea are available with the Bosch Race?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Was at the lbs today where I ordered a custom painted Orbea Wild that's due in late June/July. They happened to have 3 new Wilds on their showroom floor. I was conversing with the team at the shop, seeking information if they have received any complaints on 2023 Wilds they have sold. I know these lads very well and have built a strong rapport with them over last couple of years. They stated they have received absolutely no complaints from customers and let me take a close look at the models they have in stock. I looked each one over in detail (2 Carbon models & 1 aluminum) and did not observe any paint issues. Was actually very impressed with how the aluminum frame looked in person. Understand 3 bikes are not a barometer of all the bikes Orbea manufacturers and thought I would share this information. Hoping my new bike has no issues.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I’ve now seen two Wilds in the Wild, one was a carbon M-Team in the same colour I ordered and was better quality than mine but still had issues at the linkages and I saw a H10 (alloy) in blue/grey that was flawless so maybe it’s only carbon bikes affected.

I also reached out to 25+ owners and bike shops on Instagram that had posted pictures and a fair few carbon owners said they’d had quality issues but the two alloy owners that responded said they’d had no issues. Perhaps unsurprisingly all bike shops that responded said they’d had no issues but one of the shops sold a carbon bike I know had an issue as the user named the shop when he responded. My local bike shop is an Orbea dealer and they’ve reported no issues so far.

Be good to see pictures of yours when it turns up.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Yeah, the bike shops aren't fussy. Their idea of perfection is the bike having an amount of paint on it.

I suspect the carbon is more difficult to paint, plus probably also painted separately from the aluminium frames, possibly by a more talented team.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
For sure some bike shops have little to no standards, certainly the big named ones so local is always best if they can get the stock.

I have no idea why carbon would be an issue for painting though?! The Canyon Strive On I just took delivery of is MINT and the Trek Rail 9.8 I had before was the same and they are both carbon. In fact of the 7 bikes (4 carbon, 3 alloy) I’ve bought new in the last 10 years I’ve not had a cosmetic issue on any of them across matte and gloss paint.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
For sure some bike shops have little to no standards, certainly the big named ones so local is always best if they can get the stock.

I have no idea why carbon would be an issue for painting though?! The Canyon Strive On I just took delivery of is MINT and the Trek Rail 9.8 I had before was the same and they are both carbon. In fact of the 7 bikes (4 carbon, 3 alloy) I’ve bought new in the last 10 years I’ve not had a cosmetic issue on any of them across matte and gloss paint.
I had issues on my carbon Canyon Spectral CF8 2022. Badly touched-up paint chops around the rear drop puts and dust or something under the clear coat on the downtube.

It was half matte and half gloss, with issues on both parts!

I'm hoping my Strive: On is perfect, but I'm yet to have chance to take it out of the box.

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
My 2023 Wild looks like absolute crap. 1/2 Matt 1/2 gloss

image.jpg

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Hard to tell from those photos. Bare carbon does tend to look kinda janky on bikes. But the paint should really be all gloss or all matte, unless it's designed to be split.

Last edited:

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
My 2023 Wild looks like absolute crap. 1/2 Matt 1/2 gloss

View attachment 117730

You do realize that if you don't order a custom paint job Orbea does all of the frames in a half gloss half matte look right?

If you wanted it to look gloss even though you didn't order it that way you could get a Ride Wrap tailored kit in gloss and that'll make it look gloss.

Looking at your pictures I don't think Orbea would be willing to do anything for you as there doesn't appear to be any issues.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Do you think I have a legitimate claim?
No, the color of you bike is Cosmic Carbon View (Matte/Gloss). Cosmic is a metallic clearcoat so you can see the "carbon view" underneath. Unfortunately carbon weaves often do not necessarily look great as its a raw unfinished look . Metallics always look better under Gloss. It's supposed to be 1/2 & 1/2. RideWrap it in a full gloss tailored kit then ride the crap out of it.

Paris Doo

Jun 20, 2022
Greece
I had a Specialized Enduro Comp in clear carbon & a S Works Enduro in black and even though the clear carbon wasn't that bad I much preferred the black one.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The replacement frame arrived today. The shop owner send me some pictures. What do you think?
On the positives, I like Chesterfield's.

Not sure if it's the photos but it looks like a 20 year old frame which has done 10 seasons of DH and then been stored under the sea for safe keeping ?

Guess it's just the finish. On the bright side it has a cool grunge look to it and you'd never have to give a crap about marking it ?

FFM

Feb 27, 2023
Germany

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles