2023 New System Controller - Kiox 300 removal

Jan 15, 2020
Stafford, UK
How do you run just the System Controller and the Bluetooth Mini Remote on the new system.

When I disconnect the Kiox the Mini Controller doesn’t do anything and the system switches off.

How can I use the Mini to control the System Controller in the top tube WITHOUT the Kiox 300?

D14EF1CD-7ED4-4395-9D37-2B0E6A541FC5.jpeg A77C48A4-353A-41A8-B4E2-5790F7057A0F.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
it sounds like it is wired wrong. The mini remote on the bars works with the controller on the top tube and the Kiox 300 is merely a slave screen off the controller. So if your bike came with the mini remote and top tube controller.....and you have added the Kiox 300, I assume you take the wire from the motor PCB off the controller and instead connect it to the Kiox 300 and then run another cable from the KIOX 300 back to the controller. Then there is the mini remote cable that also connects to the controller.
Just my best guess based on how a Kiox 300 is added to a Bosch Smart System that just uses the LED Remote on the bars.

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
I presume you mean the system controller and mini remote?

Trek
Mondraker
Cube

Most manufacturers that use Bosch I would say
Yes. The old one didn’t look great to begin with, but looks really dated compared to the new one.

I’ve been Looking at Whyte bikes amongst others and they have the old system.

New cube bike looks really good. I’ll take a look at the other 2.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Yes. The old one didn’t look great to begin with, but looks really dated compared to the new one.

Keep in mind they are only on the "more expensive" end of the 2023 models.

MY2023 Trek 9.8 and 9.9
MY2023 Mondraker Crafty, Level and Prime

Reactions: K78

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

be careful what you wish for. Yes the mini remote is neat but in my experience a top tube mounted controller is not ideal due to the fairly hostile environment it is asked to withstand ( enclosed in an ally or carbon tube). Witness the amount of problems encountered by the LEvo which was one of the first to use that remote/controller set up, usually due to water ingress in the TCU. The top tube is also either weakend in terms of stiffness or made heavier to compensate for the hole made for the controller. Looks are not everything!!

The LED Remote may look a bit large on the bars but it is easier to look after and if the worst happens it is £85 and 2 minutes work to replace it and most of the intelligence of the system plus the mode changer is all in one component.

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
be careful what you wish for. Yes the mini remote is neat but in my experience a top tube mounted controller is not ideal due to the fairly hostile environment it is asked to withstand ( enclosed in an ally or carbon tube). Witness the amount of problems encountered by the LEvo which was one of the first to use that remote/controller set up, usually due to water ingress in the TCU. The top tube is also either weakend in terms of stiffness or made heavier to compensate for the hole made for the controller. Looks are not everything!!

The LED Remote may look a bit large on the bars but it is easier to look after and if the worst happens it is £85 and 2 minutes work to replace it and most of the intelligence of the system plus the mode changer is all in one component.

All fair points.

If I had one already I wouldn’t upgrade. If bikes with the older system get reduced I’d buy one. But I wouldn’t pay full price for a bike with the older system.

What Bosch designers were thinking I don’t know. Not like these bikes are cheap.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
when you say "older" the mini remote/toptube controller was introduced only a couple of months after the LED Remote!

I did a fair bit of extra protective work on my Levo to ensure the TCU and the tail connectors from it did not cause problems.........that included taping it up and using amalgamating tape plus elec tape on the tail connectors and creating a gasket between the TCU and the frame. It meant most of that would need to be removed to gain access to the USB port if required ( the rubber bung sealing that, was worse than useless as well!) but then in 2 years I never bothered updating any software or visited a LBS so it was never an issue. PS I have also seen reports of the "screen" of the TCU cracking..presumably due to top tube flexing. The fit, and fixing method on the LEVO ( a single screw) was poor and does not look a lot better on some bikes I have seen with the top tube controller.
As you can probably tell I am far more concerned withreliabiity, performance and good engineering than aesthetics! When I ride, all I look at is the trail!!:p

I have the LED Remote on my bike and originally ran with no screen. Not really interested in any info the displays provide. However fitting a Kiox 300 ( which I only have fitted for when I need the navigation function) was a 2 minute job since it merely sits between the controller ( LED Remote) and the feed from the motor. I can remove both the KIOX and its holder in minutes when I do not need it. One less thing to go wrong or damage in a crash!!
I suspect the cabling to do the same when the controller is in the top tube is somewhat more complex.

Lusankya

Jun 26, 2019
Isle of Wight
How do you run just the System Controller and the Bluetooth Mini Remote on the new system.

When I disconnect the Kiox the Mini Controller doesn’t do anything and the system switches off.

How can I use the Mini to control the System Controller in the top tube WITHOUT the Kiox 300?

View attachment 105601 View attachment 105602
Did you find answer to this?

I just got a Mondraker Level RR 2023 and get the same thing.

I want to do away with the kiox and the wires, just use the mini remote and top tube controller.

Milktoast

Sep 4, 2023
Australia
Did you find answer to this?
I've been trying to figure it out myself for the same reason. Finding a wiring diagram is proving difficult, so I can only guess.
I'm assuming there is a cable which runs from the system controller to the Kiox then back to the motor, as the system controller only has one connector.
I could be wrong but I suspect if you run the cable directly to the motor from the controller it should work.
The only problem might be having a 180 degree bend in the cable as the connector points in the forward direction.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles