2022 Trance X E+1 and Garmin Edge 530

KlaasNorg

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
Next to my 2021 Fathom E+ 29 I got my brand new 2022 Trance X E+1 delivered today.

My Fathom is connected to the Garmin Edge 530 and I got the ebike field plugin to show more LEV info and it is working perfect.

Now I connected the new Trance, told the Edge to look for the new sensor ID and it seems to work fine. The ebike field shows a LEV speed of 26 kph when the assist stops so that should be okay. BUT the normal speed what is shown by the Garmin is showing 23 kph when the assist stops. Also the total distance is way off. When I correct the distance on Strava I am about 3-4 km off on a 45 km ride.

So the question is. Why is the shown LEV speed 3 kph higher then the normal speed? What can I do to correct that speed. And yes I tried to set the circumference on manual, but that does not effect the speed at all.

I would think it is getting the same information from the sensor. So I am wondering which one is the right speed. On the Fathom they read exactly the same speed.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
When the wheel size in the sensor setup on your Garmin is set to "Automatic" your bike's wheel size is automatically calculated over time by using the GPS positioning and wheel rotations. Unfortunately it will take some time to work this and until it does the speed & distance will not be correct.

I have had your issue and this can be corrected by changing the Garmin Edge sensors to Manual and entering a wheel circumference, there are a number of online wheel circumference calculators online.

The other issue is that the Garmin see a numbers of sensors. There is an eBike sensor for the controller, mine has a bike symbol with a lightning bolt in the rear wheel. Wheel circumference can be set up in here, as well, I have a speed & cadence sensor my eBike with another icon. That also has the ability to set wheel circumference. Set it up in manually both places.

When paired the ebike sensor will show as a number along with the an ebike symbol, mine is named 5972 but prior to my Contoller being changed under warranty it was another number so yours will likely be different. The Speed & Cadence Sensor also shows with this number but has the Speed & Cadence symbols. In the Sensor menu go to add sensor and then switch the bike on, it should find the sensor or you can add through the ebike menu. You'll know you have the correct sensor because when you look at sensor details it will have the battery info.

KlaasNorg

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
wow thanks! I will try these and report back

EDIT:
Good results!
I did not edit the circumference on the power meter. I was thinking why on earth is that important. But now I edited the circumference on both speed/cadense and Power meter it is showing the correct speed.

I did a measurement with a tape measure sitting on the bike and let the wheel turn two times to get an average. So I got an accurate circumference now.

I know there is a 3th sensor with the bike, but I want to use the Garmin app e-bike edge multifield from maca88. It works fantastic, but the Garmin can only have one e-bike app in use at the same time.

So now all is okay. Going to enjoy my new Trance X E+1 now!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles