Giant reign e+ 2022 / Garmin Edge 830 integration

rk6246

Feb 14, 2023
Cornwall
I'm seeing the same, really low average power of 6-7W on a ride and very low calories "given", disable the powermeter from the Fathom and get 4 times the calorie allowance.
I do hope they fix it, it's useful data.

AndyPeyret

Mar 27, 2023
Pyrenees, France
I'm seeing the same, really low average power of 6-7W on a ride and very low calories "given", disable the powermeter from the Fathom and get 4 times the calorie allowance.
I do hope they fix it, it's useful data.
I have now able to reproduce the very low wattage reported on a Garmin 1040, a Wahoo Roam v1 and a ROX 4.0.
I have raised a support ticket with Giant to ask if they intend to have a fix and what the timescales are.
I'm guessing it's that the power data is being output in the wrong data field seeing as the Ride Control app gets the power data and nothing else that talks ANT+LEV does. Dunno the ANT protocol so whether it's a completely wrong field or if it's a mislabelled field name I have no idea. Either way, Giant/Yahama's problem!

Porcupine

Sep 5, 2022
South east UK
Thanks Andy. When you say "raised a support ticket" do you have a connection to Giant's support service that most of us don't, or are we all able to raise a ticket in the same way? It'd be worth everybody doing the same if we can.

spongebob

Dec 4, 2022
Uk
Would love to know the outcome. I tried all sorts and gave up. I've got all the latest updates too.

Thanks

AndyPeyret

Mar 27, 2023
Pyrenees, France
Thanks Andy. When you say "raised a support ticket" do you have a connection to Giant's support service that most of us don't, or are we all able to raise a ticket in the same way? It'd be worth everybody doing the same if we can.
Ah, I spoke too soon, I had contacted Giant UK ('cos I am English, but living in France) and I just an email back from them saying "sod off" and talk to your retailer :/ Apparently I'm not allowed to talk directly to Giant France, can't have the great unwashed needing help directly now can we.

Bugger.

I'll give my retailer a kick and see what happens ...

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
Ah, I spoke too soon, I had contacted Giant UK ('cos I am English, but living in France) and I just an email back from them saying "sod off" and talk to your retailer :/ Apparently I'm not allowed to talk directly to Giant France, can't have the great unwashed needing help directly now can we.

Bugger.

I'll give my retailer a kick and see what happens ...
I've raised numerous tickets with Giant Guildford where I bought my bike from. They always respond and are really helpful.

AndyPeyret

Mar 27, 2023
Pyrenees, France
I've raised numerous tickets with Giant Guildford where I bought my bike from. They always respond and are really helpful.
I have no doubt, but as soon as they (UK) noticed my phone number is +33 , they ran away! Fair enough, I guess we aren't dealing with a global company, just a series of local national independent distributors, which speaking as a consumer is a shame, I'd like to see Giant as one cohesive whole. Whatever. It is what it is.

AndyPeyret

Mar 27, 2023
Pyrenees, France
Would love to know the outcome. I tried all sorts and gave up. I've got all the latest updates too.

Thanks
Well in a somewhat surprising update, my LBS contacted me today and a new motor is on the way. Call me sceptical but the chances of a motor not sending power data correctly *but* working pretty acceptably in auto-mode (i.e. can sense torque/rider power correctly) seems remote to me but hey. One thing that my Garmin reports is that the power meter is "low battery" so I guess kinda, maybe, possibly it could be something more significant than a software issue. So if they want to fit a new motor, fine by me. I have been riding my road bike for the last 2 or 3 years here (recent immigrant to France) but am having a bit of a love affair with the new eMTB but it will do me good to get a better balance between the two disciplines. I try to do the big Cols before the tourists get here so the Peyresourde soon sounds a plan rather than always playing on the myriad trails here in the Pyrenees.

I'll update again when I have the new motor fitted. Miracles could happen! Yes they could.

Porcupine

Sep 5, 2022
South east UK
Thanks for the update, Andy. Look forward to hearing whether it makes any difference. It would be so nice to get a resolution to this, because the issue is irritating enough to stop me buying another Giant eMTB in the future :-(

spongebob

Dec 4, 2022
Uk
Well in a somewhat surprising update, my LBS contacted me today and a new motor is on the way. Call me sceptical but the chances of a motor not sending power data correctly *but* working pretty acceptably in auto-mode (i.e. can sense torque/rider power correctly) seems remote to me but hey. One thing that my Garmin reports is that the power meter is "low battery" so I guess kinda, maybe, possibly it could be something more significant than a software issue. So if they want to fit a new motor, fine by me. I have been riding my road bike for the last 2 or 3 years here (recent immigrant to France) but am having a bit of a love affair with the new eMTB but it will do me good to get a better balance between the two disciplines. I try to do the big Cols before the tourists get here so the Peyresourde soon sounds a plan rather than always playing on the myriad trails here in the Pyrenees.

I'll update again when I have the new motor fitted. Miracles could happen! Yes they could.
Well that's genuinely surprising giant offering that! My motor seems to work fine though, can definitely feel the difference on auto mode, changing how much power its giving me on the climbs helping the grip opposed to full power. I've had zero issues apart from this power meter and the sensor low battery show up on my garmin quite often. Be Interested to know if the new motor actually fixes the issue or its just happening on most.
Anybody actually getting reliable information through their Garmin?

I'm genuinely surprised Giant offering a new motor for this, good news on the aftersales front..
My motor seems to work fine, can feel the difference on auto as opposed to full power for the climbing grip. I do get the sensor low battery alarm on the garmin though and it wont calibrate with the garmin.

Does anybody actually get reliable power information or are most of us in the same boat here?

Rangal

Mar 1, 2023
Poland
Same here, contacted GIANT and got generic response with them being sorry and that they think it's a problem with the receiver...

TibcsiTube

Jan 7, 2023
Hungary
I have the same problem. I have Garmin Fenix 6 watches. Everything on my bike finally works fine except for the power meter. Incredibly, it is not possible to contact Giant support and send them a message and therefore they do not know about the error. The solution would probably be very simple. I rented a 2019 Giant Trance X E+ in Tenerife in February and the power meter worked fine on it with Fenix 6.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hey guys, joining in on this thread, have the same problem with the power readings being extremely low...you know what I mean.

1. The last time I had seen readings that were ok, was on a ride on 21st September 2022 with the Garmin Fenix 6X Pro firmware 23.00.

2. On 5th October I think can't find the release date there was a Garmin Fenix 6X Pro firmware update to 23.10.

3. Then on 17th October there was an available update for my Giant Reign 2022 ebike, which I did on the 22 October.

4. On the 25th October was my first ride after updating the ebike and watch firmware. This ride recorded the values like everyone is describing 120W Max, 8W Avg, 9W NP.

So at first it was hard to determine if it's Giant's fault, Garmin's or both...although after reading a few forums, several other platforms(Wahoo, Sigma,...on the german forum someone was even saying the Giant's Dash control display was totally off) are recording the same so it's most probably Giant's fault.

Anyway so far I did go through this methodically...contacted Garmin&and gave them all the data like .fit files and screenshots of the Giant Ride app readings. They said they will look into it, waiting for their response.

One more important thing I also suggest everyone having issues to do is to do a report on the Google Play store or Apple store via using the link to contact the developer of the Giant Ridecontrol app, there is an email([email protected]) that we can use, because obviously Giant doesn't let us contact them otherwise, which is a big letdown for me, don't care about amish bikes as any LBS can fix a fault, but ebikes are basically machines, not plain bycicles anymore, so support like some other brands offer should be there IMO, Giant should look around a bit and step up.

I think as the Ridecontrol app updates are not just plain app updates but contain vital bike/motor/battery... firmware/software bits...the developer of the app(probably a team from Giant) has to be in direct contact with the company in Taiwan.
So if we all push reports of this issue maybe someone there in Taiwan will notice it and do something about it, as I don't believe reports at local distributors will have an impact.

Hope we can so get an update that will fix this, because the power sensor was working fine before...so it's is possible to fix it.

Cheers ⚡

Last edited:

TibcsiTube

Jan 7, 2023
Hungary
The Ride Control app correctly shows performance data and any app that communicates with the bike via BLE, e.g. Locus Map, Ride Controls, etc.
However, if it is via ANT+, e.g. Garmin, incorrect low values are displayed.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
The Ride Control app correctly shows performance data and any app that communicates with the bike via BLE, e.g. Locus Map, Ride Controls, etc.
However, if it is via ANT+, e.g. Garmin, incorrect low values are displayed.
Yes, i know, reported that to Garmin and Giant, one of my questions to my country Giant office was what data does the Ride control app show, motor power output or rider power input.
Their explanation was that the app shows motor power output.
I know/think that none of the motors out there have a separate power sensor for the rider input power, but it is possible to generate that data with software based on riders personal data etc...probably that's how it's done on Specialized ebikes.

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
I know/think that none of the motors out there have a separate power sensor for the rider input power, ....
If the emtbs produce and output power as a % of rider's power input, then there has to be a sensor for that. A power meter of some sort. Otherwise how would the system know how much output to give ? 🤔

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
If the emtbs produce and output power as a % of rider's power input, then there has to be a sensor for that. A power meter of some sort. Otherwise how would the system know how much output to give
Yes you are correct, the bikes do have a torque sensor for that, but I dont believe also an additional power sensor.

Mathematically, horsepower equals torque multiplied by rpm...the motors software based on the sensors input and the system specs does the calculation for the % of power output needed by this equation...✌

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles