Giant reign e+ 2022 / Garmin Edge 830 integration

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Quick question. Did anyone manage to get cadence data from Giant 2022 models to be displayed on Garmin devices? I get data like speed, battery usage, assistance level ... but no cadence. I mean the motor HAS to know what the current cadence is. Am I doing something wrong?

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Thanks. From what you wrote I can tell that it used to work. And that it is probably 2022 models that don't send cadence data. Who should I contact? Giant has no direct channels of communication as far as I know.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Guys. Problem solved. I completely got the setup wrong. It comes out that reign e+ 2022 presents itself as 3 individual sensors.
  1. E-MTB
  2. Speed/Cadence
  3. Power
And I set up just the E-MTB. After adding next 2 sensors everything works. So officially the Integration between Giant and Garmin is amazing.
Anybody knows how accurate is this power meter? I think that the power meter readings when riding an E-Bike are actually super important. Without it my Garmin devices think that it is me who is doing the whole work and the computed training effect is pure nonsense.

BTW. I checked if the bike will connect with my Garmin Forerunner watch. And it works too. I see just speed/cadence and power. No E-MTB. Still the integration is great.

Last edited:

mummyb0t

Nov 28, 2021
New Zealand
Guys. Problem solved. I completely got the setup wrong. It comes out that reign e+ 2022 presents itself as 3 individual sensors.
  1. E-MTB
  2. Speed/Cadence
  3. Power
And I set up just the E-MTB. After adding next 2 sensors everything works. So officially the Integration between Giant and Garmin is amazing.
Anybody knows how accurate is this power meter? I think that the power meter readings when riding an E-Bike are actually super important. Without it my Garmin devices think that it is me who is doing the whole work and the computed training effect is pure nonsense.

BTW. I checked if the bike will connect with my Garmin Forerunner watch. And it works too. I see just speed/cadence and power. No E-MTB. Still the integration is great.

I got this working on my older Edge 520 , all seems great. Power number seems really low though, I need to play more.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I got this working on my older Edge 520 , all seems great. Power number seems really low though, I need to play more.

I have Garmin power meter pedals. I'll check it after new year how accurate is this contraption in the motor.

mummyb0t

Nov 28, 2021
New Zealand
I have Garmin power meter pedals. I'll check it after new year how accurate is this contraption in the motor.
Keen for feedback, mine was not even close, like sub 100w. I did some like 7min shuttle runs up a fire road, threshold/v02max type work.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.22.19 AM.png

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Has anybody figured out how calibrate the syncdrive power sensor to a Garmin 830?

This Garmin 830 I'm trying on, is connected to the Trance X power meter... easy enough, but the data is junk, and needs at least some sort of calibration.

I'm not having any luck finding a coherent explanation online.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Has anybody figured out how calibrate the syncdrive power sensor to a Garmin 830?

This Garmin 830 I'm trying on, is connected to the Trance X power meter... easy enough, but the data is junk, and needs at least some sort of calibration.

I'm not having any luck finding a coherent explanation online.
I wonder if you'd get better luck with an alternate app?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

Thanks,
I'll try it tomorrow and see.

To be honest, having never used a cycling computer before, or tracked my workouts on anything more complicated than a Fitbit, there is much to absorb with this little Garmin Edge.

I found this at the Garmin's support page, but it only states to follow the manufacturer procedure.
Screenshot_20220103-183039_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY

I asked the Ebike field guy about other data fields, specifically the 2nd battery (plus) reading. He said it was not there. That app seems a bit generic to me without a whole lot of bike specific interpretation. At the center of difficulty seems to be companies using only the Garmin LEV (Light Electric Vehicle) data fields.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I have not been able to ride much because of a screwed up lower back.

But today I was able to record a 2nd ride with Giant Ridecontrol and the Garmin Edge 830, at the same time to compare. I was only able to manage about 15 minutes of very easy peddling, but the recordings are sufficient to compare data.

The power data being sent to the Garmin doesn't match the power data being displayed in Ridecontrol, at least on my rig, for certain.

Obviously the Garmin is expecting rider power, maybe the Giant is sending motor power? Who knows... I can find no documentation on Giants end.

RideControl App with data from Giant ebike system.
Screenshot_20220107-095510_RideControl.jpg

Garmin with data from Giant ebike system. Same ride as recorded above.
Screenshot_20220107-095649_Connect.jpg

Last edited:

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY

But today I was able to record a 2nd ride with Giant Ridecontrol and the Garmin Edge 830, at the same time to compare. I was only able to manage about 15 minutes of very easy peddling, but the recordings are sufficient to compare data.

The power data being sent to the Garmin doesn't match the power data being displayed in Ridecontrol, at least on my rig, for certain.

Obviously the Garmin is expecting rider power, maybe the Giant is sending motor power? Who knows... I can find no documentation on Giants end.

View attachment 79464

View attachment 79466

That is bogus data. The motor should peak at close to 500w and human rider input is typically between 120-250w. 17w is a phonograph motor. 55w is 1/13 hp. Let's take the 55 number: So at 55w, one could ride about 11 hours continuously on a 625wh battery. Maybe on a bike stand but not with the bike on the ground.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
That is bogus data. The motor should peak at close to 500w and human rider input is typically between 120-250w. 17w is a phonograph motor. 55w is 1/13 hp. Let's take the 55 number: So at 55w, one could ride about 11 hours continuously on a 625wh battery. Maybe on a bike stand but not with the bike on the ground.
Yes. It's bogus no matter how you slice it, and bogus on both interfaces.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Yes. It's bogus no matter how you slice it, and bogus on both interfaces.
My Levo seems to report real numbers, and lots of them via Blevo app. My human wattage on the Levo matches my typical analog bike readings on Strava when I am running low boost. The motor power goes from 50w to 550w. The information is highly useful to see the correlation between cadence and battery drain. On the Trance, I was going to install some 1 millohm shunts in the battery wire and connect to an ESP32 with bluetooth, but based on what I am seeing up here I think I will not mess with it. My Trance has been working fine, no need to play around pulling wires apart. I will have to use the parts for something else.

turborrojo

Feb 3, 2022
Galicia
  1. E-MTB
  2. Speed/Cadence
  3. Power

I’ve set it this way on my 2022 reign e+, but since that, my Garmin 530 seems to record very low speed and distance, like if the wheel was not set up correctly. When trying to calibrate speed/cadence sensor in my garmin, It doesn’t appear any option where it should 🤷🏽‍♂️, so thinking about disconnecting that sensor and continuing as before.
I’ve read somewhere in the forum that somebody got a “wheel calibration” message in his/her garmin, but mine didn’t give any….
What’s your experience on that?

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I’ve set it this way on my 2022 reign e+, but since that, my Garmin 530 seems to record very low speed and distance, like if the wheel was not set up correctly. When trying to calibrate speed/cadence sensor in my garmin, It doesn’t appear any option where it should 🤷🏽‍♂️, so thinking about disconnecting that sensor and continuing as before.
I’ve read somewhere in the forum that somebody got a “wheel calibration” message in his/her garmin, but mine didn’t give any….
What’s your experience on that?
My Edge 530 displayed “wheel calibration” in the middle of a ride while recording said ride. I ignored it and forgot all about it. This was about 3 weeks ago.
Can't say I've noticed any changes, but I'm not tracking/displaying any power info. Speed and distance are fine.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Can you get a bike battery percentage to show on the garmin screen i have an edge explore unit with a reign 2022 i dont like the 5x lights id prefer to see percentage cheers in advance

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
First ride with e bike battery % on the garmin surprised how fast it drops only got 200m up the road and lost 1% 15 mile loop fairly flat and used 38% of the battery the auto mode is definitely a thirsty setting

jackplayz

Aug 15, 2022
EU
  1. E-MTB
  2. Speed/Cadence
  3. Power

Where are these 3 settings from? I have 2021 Trance e+ and Garmin Edge 530 but for some reason can't get power to work.

spongebob

Dec 4, 2022
Uk
I've got a reign E+ 2022 and an 830, power meter reads my average watts as 3 🤣 went on a ride with another ebiker he burnt 1500 calories I burnt 210 🤔. Heart rates were similar, averaging 150 and 149, I'm guessing it's the power meter messing it all up. Tried forgetting and re pairing devices, updates, using set power modes rather than auto and nothing seems to work. Also tried calibrating it through garmin and it fails. Guess it's just not happening for the minute.....

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I've got a reign E+ 2022 and an 830, power meter reads my average watts as 3 🤣 went on a ride with another ebiker he burnt 1500 calories I burnt 210 🤔. Heart rates were similar, averaging 150 and 149, I'm guessing it's the power meter messing it all up. Tried forgetting and re pairing devices, updates, using set power modes rather than auto and nothing seems to work. Also tried calibrating it through garmin and it fails. Guess it's just not happening for the minute.....

Giant connects to 830 as 3 individual devices as I remember. Ebike, cadence sensor and power sensor. Disconnect power sensor. It makes zero sense. It never worked correctly.

Porcupine

Sep 5, 2022
South east UK
I'm adding myself to this thread too. Got all excited that my '21 Trance could send power data to my new Fenix, but the numbers are garbage. Would love to know if someone finds a solution.

Micasco

Jan 9, 2023
Portugal
I have been exchanging emails with garmin to try to solve this problem and they asked me to send a file in .fit format of a ride that I have recorded in garmin and in the Giant app, but I don't know how to download the file from Giant.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Micasco

Jan 9, 2023
Portugal

View attachment 79464

View attachment 79466
In my Giant app this information does not appear, does anyone know why this is happening?

in the app this field appears but empty, as if it had not recorded data

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles