Rail (750Wh) 2022 Bosch Smart 750 Trek Rail Thread

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I might change my order from an EXe to a Rail full fat.

has the battery issue been sorted out?

what is a through shaft shock?

G-Bru

Jan 8, 2019
United Kingdom
Maybe a dumb question but is there meant to be an open hole in the frame under the rear shock on the 2022 with thru shaft?

Is there meant to be a plug there or is it some kind of drainage?

View attachment 94142
Yes, there is supposed to be a hole there. It is to allow the shaft of the Thrushaft to pass into under compression. Do not plug it! Obviously not required if using any other shock…

G

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Is it possible not to use the handlebar remote and just set the bike in EMTB mode constantly?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
bugger, ;)

How is the motor rattle @Rob Rides EMTB ?

I may be changing my order from the EXe 9.8XT to the Rail 9.8 XT + carbon rims.......

three things concern me about the Rail.
1. the ugly remote (will learn to live with it I suppose)
2. the motor rattle. (will I learn to live with it ? :) )
3. the reach, I found 475 on the Levo (S4) to be very nice. I'd get a size L for the Rail. Suppose I could shorten the stem (and remove the knock block to allow a shorter stem)?

Last edited:

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I hoped that Bosch release the remote update and they did. But the mini remote is incompatible with the Rail system.

You don't have to get rid of the knockblock to set up a shorter stem, Bontrager has knockblock 35mm stems, and also there is a knockblock lockring.

knockblock.png

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
My 2022 9.8 XT kept losing power and switching itself off on a ride today. Error message 501010 came up on the screen the first time other times it just turned off. Tried reseating the battery but it kept turning off with increased frequency. Sounds like a trip back to the LBS is on the cards. Has anyone seen this error?

20220917_131252.jpg

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
My 2022 9.8 XT kept losing power and switching itself off on a ride today. Error message 501010 came up on the screen the first time other times it just turned off. Tried reseating the battery but it kept turning off with increased frequency. Sounds like a trip back to the LBS is on the cards. Has anyone seen this error?

View attachment 97333
Yes mine did exactly as you described last week.
Got it home cleaned terminals, even though there was no visible dirt.
I then took out the damper pad I had installed.
I have now been on 3 big rides with no issues.

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
Yes mine did exactly as you described last week.
Got it home cleaned terminals, even though there was no visible dirt.
I then took out the damper pad I had installed.
I have now been on 3 big rides with no issues.

Thanks i will give this a try. I had installed the damper pad too and its been fine for the last 4 rides... I will remove and test.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Thanks i will give this a try. I had installed the damper pad too and its been fine for the last 4 rides... I will remove and test.
That's interesting that you had also fitted the damper pad.
I had covered over 300 miles with it fitted with no issues, but was always worried that it seemed to be pushing the battery away from the terminal a bit too much, you only get about 8 mm of insertion without it fitted.
Of course this could just be a red herring, time will tell.

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Is someone knows what that "emtb" sticker on Zeb fork means? Is there specific damping tunning?

The reason I ask is that I found that the fork is very harsh, and even when I removed two tokens, I still cannot bottom out. Compression is fully opened, sag 23-25%. My old Merida eone-sixty with Lyrik, bottoms with one token quite often.

So I wondering if Zeb has a higher compression ratio ( bigger negative spring? ) or if there is some specific "emtb" tune for the damper?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
What is your weight and pressure?
I’m 97kg and running 75psi and it has started to feel ‘ok’.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Is someone knows what that "emtb" sticker on Zeb fork means? Is there specific damping tunning?

The reason I ask is that I found that the fork is very harsh, and even when I removed two tokens, I still cannot bottom out. Compression is fully opened, sag 23-25%. My old Merida eone-sixty with Lyrik, bottoms with one token quite often.

So I wondering if Zeb has a higher compression ratio ( bigger negative spring? ) or if there is some specific "emtb" tune for the damper?
The fork has a code on it which if you look up will tell you the factory tune.
There are a number of reasons the fork may feel harsh
1. I have repeatedly found that both Fox and RS suggest air spring pressures are too high ( at least for me). One reason may be that the majority of forks bought straight from the manufacturer tend to have a medium factory tune, whereas bike brands may specify a higher compression tune for their EMTBs and of course Fox or RS suggested settings apply to their forks as sold.

This is I believe especially an issue if you are less than 80kg fully kitted..........the bike brands are after all selling the same bike to riders of all shapes and sizes!! What may help you if that is the case is to set SAG at 30% and dont be surprised if the air pressure is quite a bit lower than Fox/RS suggestions.

2. SAG needs to be set up with compression and rebound fully open. The fork should be cycled regularly during the process of adding air pressure. With the latest RS debonair airspring that is less critical but still advisable to ensure equalisation of the air chambers.

3. Once SAG has been set, leave compression open and set rebound starting in the middle of its range.........again, recommended rebound settings are often too slow in my experience, and that can have a significant impact on how the fork feels. Set compression last. Both rebound and compression are best set by running a typically section of trail repeatedly whilst changing the settings to see which feels best.

4. Lastly, it is not uncommon for a set of forks to have been assembled several months ( or even longer) before being used and during that time grease can congeal and/or settle where it is not required, and any oil that should be in there, evaporated Any new fork that does not respond to tuning is best put through a lower leg service.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

Ignore the eMtb sticker and recommended air pressure. Reduce your air pressure to get at least 30% sag as your starting point.

I have 2021 Pike Ultimate with 160mm C1 Air spring and the recommended air pressure was ludicrous. I'm 80kg btw.

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you for the detailed response. I'm 80kg with equipment. 72 psi give me 23-25% sag. I did the lower legs service and reinstalled and relubricated the air spring.

With my old bike with Lyrik I have 1 token, and I usually add 3 clicks to compression when I ride trails with big jumps.

So I wondering what the main difference is between my old Lyrik and the new Zeb on Rail. The compression ratio, or the damper configuration? Both Lyrik and Zeb are select+

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thank you for the detailed response. I'm 80kg with equipment. 72 psi give me 23-25% sag. I did the lower legs service and reinstalled and relubricated the air spring.

With my old bike with Lyrik I have 1 token, and I usually add 3 clicks to compression when I ride trails with big jumps.

So I wondering what the main difference is between my old Lyrik and the new Zeb on Rail. The compression ratio, or the damper configuration? Both Lyrik and Zeb are select+
RS updated the airspring in 2021 and both airspring and damper in 2023 models......so it depends on the model year of each fork. As I pointed out before they may also have different custom tunes

Last edited:

Bam104

Jul 2, 2022
Livermore ca
Hey everyone.
Northern California
I have 2022 rail 9.8 xt- size xl
I’m 6’2” ish. 250 lbs
Love this bike
Not really haveing any issues but was thinking about upgrading rear shock to a fox dhx2 coil
Can I just swap out the rock shock to the fox size for size?

RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RT3, DebonAir spring, Thru Shaft 3-position damper, 230mm x 57.5mm for a Fox DHX2 coil 8.5 X 2.5
Please advise

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
You lost me on the 8.5 x 2.5. If those are inches…that shock is nowhere near the stock size.
Stick with 230 length, you can over stroke out to 65mm with the Mino link in high.
Most seem to run 230x60 or 230x62.5 without any issues.
Call Mike at Full Flow Suspensions in Auburn CA. He’s familiar with the setup. You also will need new shock mounting hardware. Need to convert to through bolt mounting like the Slash.

Bam104

Jul 2, 2022
Livermore ca
You lost me on the 8.5 x 2.5. If those are inches…that shock is nowhere near the stock size.
Stick with 230 length, you can over stroke out to 65mm with the Mino link in high.
Most seem to run 230x60 or 230x62.5 without any issues.
Call Mike at Full Flow Suspensions in Auburn CA. He’s familiar with the setup. You also will need new shock mounting hardware. Need to convert to through bolt mounting like the Slash.
Thanks for reply
The inches I stated is how the -Eason posted the shock
I really appreciate the input

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles