Rail (750Wh) 2022 Bosch Smart 750 Trek Rail Thread

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Rides EMTB bit of a weird question but do the smaller 500 & 625 Powertube batteries fit in the 9.8 and 9.9 Rail's with spacers or will they only accept the 750?
Only the 750 at the moment. It’s a new battery connection to go with the new bosch smart system.
No doubt one day they’ll make a 625 bosch smart version.

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
2022 Rail 9.8 XT 750Wh battery
After installing Cush Core Pro F/R and Maxxis Assegai DD front and DHR DD rear tires my battery life has suffered considerably. After a 15 mile ride (3280 ft Climbing), mostly in eMTB and Turbo I was down to 16%. My son has a stock Rail 7 w/625 battery and he still had 3 bars left.
Does this sound right? Something wrong?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
After installing Cush Core Pro F/R and Maxxis Assegai DD front and DHR DD rear tires my battery life has suffered considerably. After a 15 mile ride (3280 ft Climbing), mostly in eMTB and Turbo I was down to 16%. My son has a stock Rail 7 w/625 battery and he still had 3 bars left.
If you read back in the thread, Rob mentions that there is a problem with the firmware on the battery on some bikes which they are working on.

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
If you want to totally delete and remove the Trek Knock Block here's what you need.

Part H2271A headset bearing cover - cost £7.64 here
Part W1048249 Non Block frame Chip - cost £10.99 here

Hello @Rob Rides EMTB ,
Writting here because i can't PM.
I've wanted to test de 72° knockblock on my 2021 9.8 for months.
I live in the Alps, and would like more turning amplitude than 58° for the switchbacks. Can't remove it because fork touch the frame without it (XL).
Would you sell/send me your unused frame ship and bearing cover so that i can test ? (and report here in the forum for other interested?)

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Anyone experience this on their '22 Rail? I have about 120 miles on it and it seems when the motor heats up, like on a climb, there is a soft clunk noise at the crank 5 o'clock/10 o'clock positions. You can also feel it but it's subtle. When I start back downhill it disappears. Didn't notice until warmer weather hit.

JacobC1983

Feb 20, 2020
USA
Did they fix the clanking noises going down rough terrain on the new bosch system? This alone would get me to upgrade my Rail to the new version. Curious if the new setup is quieter.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Did they fix the clanking noises going down rough terrain on the new bosch system? This alone would get me to upgrade my Rail to the new version. Curious if the new setup is quieter.
Mine still rattles/clunks going downhill. I've had several Rails and they all do.

Wak

Nov 22, 2019
Derbys
Tried the new rail xt98 in M its to small Tried the L to big ? The old L was perfect for me put the 2 bikes together massif difference ?

jacob80

Apr 14, 2022
Omaha, NE
Does anyone have a recommendation for a 1.5 to 1.8 steering tube adapter? Just bought a Zeb Ultimate for my ‘21 Rail 5 that I want to transfer to my ‘22 Rail 9.8.

mightyflav

Jul 26, 2022
Brazil

I am having the same issues with the battery. I have a 2021 9.8 and just got the 2022 9.8 and the battery on the new one, which should last longer, is being consumed at a much faster rate. Yes, same trails, same tyre setup. I was going to ask @Rob Rides EMTB if he noticed this issue in comparison with the old/new motor and battery combo.

mightyflav

Jul 26, 2022
Brazil
1-1/8" to 1-1/2" Converter Crown Race: 543254
Pretty sure it’s that part number. I took it from Trek documents. It’s made by FSA

here’s another option from Acros:

@Rob Rides EMTB are you sure this is the correct part number? You quoted is 1-1/8" and not 1.8"

Also the Acros base plate - will it work? I'm looking all over the conversion parts but they are hard to come by over here (Brazil)....

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Rides EMTB are you sure this is the correct part number? You quoted is 1-1/8" and not 1.8"

Also the Acros base plate - will it work? I'm looking all over the conversion parts but they are hard to come by over here (Brazil)....

I can’t remember what I was trying to achieve here. What do you need to fit and what to?!

Acros - It’s a zs66 which I *think* is the correct one, but I’m not 100%

mightyflav

Jul 26, 2022
Brazil
I can’t remember what I was trying to achieve here. What do you need to fit and what to?!

Acros - It’s a zs66 which I *think* is the correct one, but I’m not 100%

I need the lower base plate to fit a Fox 38 (1.5" steerer) into the new 2022 9.8 rail which is 1.8"! I think you were referring to the FSA crown race which has a trek part number. But the number you gave is for a 1-1/8" conversion... I found the correct FSA part in the UK but it only ships within the UK :mad: This is the link if anyone is interested - FSA Crown Race: SUPTAP Ebike THOK (1.8 - 1.5", H6164)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I need the lower base plate to fit a Fox 38 (1.5" steerer) into the new 2022 9.8 rail which is 1.8"! I think you were referring to the FSA crown race which has a trek part number. But the number you gave is for a 1-1/8" conversion... I found the correct FSA part in the UK but it only ships within the UK :mad: This is the link if anyone is interested - FSA Crown Race: SUPTAP Ebike THOK (1.8 - 1.5", H6164)
How about here: FSA Crown Race: SUPTAP Ebike THOK (1.8 - 1.5", H6164) | eBay

ebikenut

Jun 30, 2022
Mississauga
I am having the same issues with the battery. I have a 2021 9.8 and just got the 2022 9.8 and the battery on the new one, which should last longer, is being consumed at a much faster rate. Yes, same trails, same tyre setup. I was going to ask @Rob Rides EMTB if he noticed this issue in comparison with the old/new motor and battery combo.

Did you ever resolve this? Maybe you need to reset the battery adaptation / calibration from the menu system? I forget what the option is called…

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
So I see in the latest Bosch 2023 update they have 500wh and 625wh smart system batteries. Does that mean with the trek spacers 750 bikes could run the smaller batteries now?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The Bosch smart system with 750w/h battery and LED Remote works differently to the previous Bosch system using the Purion. The LED Remote is continuously powered by a rechargeable battery and the voltage in that battery ( charge voltage is 4.2v) is maintained by a charging circuit from the main bike battery. For comparison the Purion only used its own battery for switch on switch off operations, thereafter being run by the main battery.........albeit its demand to run a monochrome display was minimal compared to the LED Remote which also supports blutooth connectivity, ride tracking etc.
If your main battery is depleteing that quickly it maybe suggests the charging circuit to the LED Remote is permanently on....perhaps because the LED Remote battery will not hold a charge or the battery is not switching the charge circuit off when fully charged. You could try changing the LED Remote battery..............it is a specific 3.7v nominal rechargeable battery for the LED Remote so not the coin type as in the Purion.

For comparison I did a 15 mile ride with 1500 ft climbing on my Whyte RSX ( 750 battery) and battery consumption was 20%.

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
Maybe a dumb question but is there meant to be an open hole in the frame under the rear shock on the 2022 with thru shaft?

Is there meant to be a plug there or is it some kind of drainage?

20220806_215456.jpg

mightyflav

Jul 26, 2022
Brazil
The Bosch smart system with 750w/h battery and LED Remote works differently to the previous Bosch system using the Purion. The LED Remote is continuously powered by a rechargeable battery and the voltage in that battery ( charge voltage is 4.2v) is maintained by a charging circuit from the main bike battery. For comparison the Purion only used its own battery for switch on switch off operations, thereafter being run by the main battery.........albeit its demand to run a monochrome display was minimal compared to the LED Remote which also supports blutooth connectivity, ride tracking etc.
If your main battery is depleteing that quickly it maybe suggests the charging circuit to the LED Remote is permanently on....perhaps because the LED Remote battery will not hold a charge or the battery is not switching the charge circuit off when fully charged. You could try changing the LED Remote battery..............it is a specific 3.7v nominal rechargeable battery for the LED Remote so not the coin type as in the Purion.

For comparison I did a 15 mile ride with 1500 ft climbing on my Whyte RSX ( 750 battery) and battery consumption was 20%.
Don't think the led remote can be the culprit of the battery drain. Another thing I have recently noticed is the battery never charges to 100%. Also once "fully charged" which means 98/99% it will slowly discharge without any usage at around 5% in one week. Ok I'm starting to think that I have a faulted battery pack.

mightyflav

Jul 26, 2022
Brazil
Worked! For some reason I did not come across this in Ebay. But now I am sorted!!! ;) Just need the rear shock hardware now...
@Rob Rides EMTB saddly my order was cancelled. Part not in stock. Also need to sort the hardware to change the rear shock to a Fox coil. If anyone can point me in the right direction for these parts I appreciate the help!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles