Rail (750Wh) 2022 Bosch Smart 750 Trek Rail Thread

Bran70

Mar 1, 2023
Uk
Hi everyone!
New member here.

Have just placed an order for a Rail 9.9. Having had a 9.7 2021 in size L it felt natural going for a 9.9 also in L.

However, given the larger reach and thus slightly larger bike I’m starting to have second thoughts and have been thinking about M…

My measurements are 180 cm and 84 cm inseam.

Any experience with the new 9.8/9.9 geometry and whether to size down to M or not? I’m doing mostly technical trails or fast charging flatter trails.
I’m about the same size as you and have just took delivery of my Rail 9.8 GX AXS in Large. When it arrived my first thought was wow that’s big! Especially at the side of my Fuel ex 9.8 in large but once on the bike it felt perfectly sized for me and I felt at home straight away so don’t worry large should be just right for you.

Bran70

Mar 1, 2023
Uk
Trek Fuel 9.8 GX AXS

2022 Bosch Smart 750​

Hi
Is it normal to have a reduced mileage range estimation after the second charge on a new battery?
Here are the figures from my 1st and 2nd charges on my new bike that is up to date with the updates.

1st charge
TURBO - 40 miles (65km)

eMTB - 44 miles (71km) ✅ About right

TOUR+ - 64 miles (103km)

ECO - 82 miles (133km)

2nd Charge 31% - 100%

TURBO - 33 miles (54km)

eMTB - 36 miles (58km)

TOUR+ - 52 miles (85km)

ECO - 62 miles (100km)

As you can see there is quite a reduced mileage estimation. Is this normal?

Nbzt

Mar 12, 2023
Australia
I’ve started getting a bad sharp cracking sound when I land a jump, checked the bike over extensively with no evidence of any damage or problem, it sounds awful. I’m beginning to wonder if the battery is moving. It’s not a bang or thump but actually sounds like something snapping!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I’ve started getting a bad sharp cracking sound when I land a jump, checked the bike over extensively with no evidence of any damage or problem, it sounds awful. I’m beginning to wonder if the battery is moving. It’s not a bang or thump but actually sounds like something snapping!
Can you remove the battery and jump to hear if it's the same?

JacobC1983

Feb 20, 2020
USA
Does the newest Rail Gen 4 with the new smart system still have the chattering noise from the motor on downhill rough sections?

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
I would say my Gen4 Rail is quieter than my old ‘20 bike. It’s also quieter than my other half’s ‘21 Rail (less rattle & motor noise).

The battery is a ‘very’ tight fit compared to past bikes.

Does the newest Rail Gen 4 with the new smart system still have the chattering noise from the motor on downhill rough sections?

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
How are people getting on with their Rails? I'm considering buying a 9.8XT Gen 3 (I like the big display) but had heard some complaints about the rattly battery.

Anything I should know before buying? I recently test rode a Levo, but I'm not sure if anyone offers test rides for the Rail. Last time I tried to test ride a Rail they let me ride it up and down the street whilst they watched... Pointless.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I really like mine. I’m on my third 9.8. I got the gen 3 now as the price hike for the gen 4 was ridiculous in this parts, and all you got was a tidier cockpit.

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
How are people getting on with their Rails? I'm considering buying a 9.8XT Gen 3 (I like the big display) but had heard some complaints about the rattly battery.

Anything I should know before buying? I recently test rode a Levo, but I'm not sure if anyone offers test rides for the Rail. Last time I tried to test ride a Rail they let me ride it up and down the street whilst they watched... Pointless.
The loose battery can be fixed, but motor clunking is characteristic of the motor. There is a video from Rob where he compares noise from different bikes.

Also if you had a chance to ride Levo, compared to the Levo, the Rail climbs better. On downhills, Levo feels lively and fun whereas the Rail is a little cumbersome and lazy and clunky like a dump truck :)

That's about 750w Rail. I think the shorter, lighter 650w version would be more agile.

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
The loose battery can be fixed, but motor clunking is characteristic of the motor. There is a video from Rob where he compares noise from different bikes.

Also if you had a chance to ride Levo, compared to the Levo, the Rail climbs better. On downhills, Levo feels lively and fun whereas the Rail is a little cumbersome and lazy and clunky like a dump truck :)

That's about 750w Rail. I think the shorter, lighter 650w version would be more agile.

Have a '22 Rail 5, alloy 500Wh Large which is great downhill.

Have mucked around with it by fitting an Ohlins TTX22m.2 coil shock, Rockshox Zeb A2 forks, Swissstop 220mm Catalyst Pro rotors, Shimano M6100/6120 brakes, lighter wheels, Oneup dropper etc., and it's just right for me at 1.78m/5'10"/78kg. And with Assegai Maxxgrip DD front, DHR2 rear I can get away with being very silly which is important given that I'm 76! 😆

Last edited:

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK

Thanks. I initially started at the Rail, then got looking at Levos and now I'm back to the Rail.

I think the Rail probably represents a better overall ownership prospect. The Bosch motor is less likely to fail and is more serviceable, right?

Plus I can remove the battery far easier to bring it indoors to charge, over winter, and during those super hot 30+ degree days we seem to get in summer.

It also has a larger battery than the Levo and the Bosch system is supposed to be more efficient than the others, so I guess it should go slightly further on a charge vs the Levo.

The main benefit though is that the 9.8XT is around £1400 less than a Levo Expert. That's a big difference for two bikes that are fairly equal in spec. And I'm a Shimano guy, so actually prefer XT as it's what I've always had.

It also has a larger display which can be removed for the harsh winters stored outside.

The Levo is more agile because of the mullet setup though, and the display is better integrated and the bar controller much less obtrusive.

You can always mullet the Rail though and I guess that would make it more lively?

I'm surprised nobody has 3D printed a better casing for the Bosch remotes internals to make it smaller/neater.

Any issues with the Rail that I should be aware of? I see the speed/mileage fault has been addressed now and has also improved the walk function.

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The Levo is more agile because of the mullet setup though, and the display is better integrated and the bar controller much less obtrusive.

You can always mullet the Rail though and I guess that would make it more lively?
I tried a 27.5 rear wheel on Rail and haven't noticed any improvement.

I think this cumbersome feeling is more about the weight distribution and the battery weight. Interestingly, the 750w Rail battery weighs 4.9kg, whereas the Levos 700w is just 3.8kg and it's located lower in the frame.

I would rent the Rail at some trails centre or bike park before buying to test it.

Last edited:

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Thanks for the advice. Do you enjoy the Rail in general though? I really like the Levo, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost when I have young kids and likely won't get the chance to ride it as much as I'd like.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon

I think the 9.8 XT is the best bang for the buck in the Rail line up. I haven't suffered from the rattly battery but my understanding is they have an update to fix that.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I think the 9.8 XT is the best bang for the buck in the Rail line up. I haven't suffered from the rattly battery but my understanding is they have an update to fix that.
Thanks. How are you liking yours? Likes/dislikes?

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Thanks. How are you liking yours? Likes/dislikes?
It's great Bosch finally gave riders the ability to fine tune the different assist modes. I have also ridden a lot of ebikes with Brose and Shimano systems. I would say the Bosch motor is the punchiest and the Brose is the smoothest with the Shimano somewhere in between. As far as handling the Rail has done well with everything I've thrown at it.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
It's great Bosch finally gave riders the ability to fine tune the different assist modes. I have also ridden a lot of ebikes with Brose and Shimano systems. I would say the Bosch motor is the punchiest and the Brose is the smoothest with the Shimano somewhere in between. As far as handling the Rail has done well with everything I've thrown at it.
Great, thanks. Am I right in thinking that the Bosch is the most reliable and most serviceable?

There seem to be a lot.of people complaining about the Shimano motors at the moment as they can't be serviced, so if/when they break outside of warranty you either have to fork out a grand or write the frame off.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
The EP8 with the 625 battery has a significant shorter range than the Bosch 625 after a year or so. I have 2 friends that are selling their Merida bikes to change to Bosch system. It anecdotal, but then I looked up some test on YouTube that confirmed our belief.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
All ebike motors can break, but at least the Bosch guarantee and replacement work really well
Oh sure, anything can break - it's the fact that Shimano seem to think that it's OK to sell a motor that cannot be serviced or repaired. So when it inevitably breaks you have to fork out a grand for a new motor (until it breaks again) or scrap the whole frame.

From what I'm reading online, it isn't built to be serviceable and they don't sell any replacement parts for it.

Insanity. You could spend £10k+ on a top end Shimano bike and it could fail a day past the warranty and you'd have to spend another grand on it or scrap the frame.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I have a MY22 9.8XT (the same as your looking at I believe) its great. 1300km so far since October, no issues and have enjoyed every ride on it. Bosch motor is so strong and really excels climbing.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I have a MY22 9.8XT (the same as your looking at I believe) its great. 1300km so far since October, no issues and have enjoyed every ride on it. Bosch motor is so strong and really excels climbing.
Thanks. Did you ever ride a Levo? All the reviewers seemed to swoon at the Levo, but I guess it's whether it's worth £1400 more.

Plus the Rail does have a handful of things that are better than the Levo.

Bigger display (though can the data fields be customised like the Levo at all?), bigger battery, more reliable motor (I think), battery is easier to remove (I'd likely charge it inside so I could keep an eye on it), better rear shock design (I understand the Levo's yolk can kill shocks). Plus it's available in a nice XT build, which I like.

I'm trying to sort a test ride of the Rail, but I think they said it would be a Rail 7... So would that be the old geometry?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
No, I haven't ridden a Levo. Specialized although good bikes are horrendously overpriced IMHO. Also like most I dislike Sram brakes so the spec and price on the 9.8XT was MUCH better for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles