California Bay Area
I’m loving the bike with the new suspension
178EAB3D-C565-4DDD-9FA8-F0AFF85FFF4B.jpeg

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
@Rob Rides EMTB - what made you decide to spend your own money on the Rail rather than the updated Levo? Review of the Levo sounded like you really liked the mullet handling and the integration is certainly way better so curious as to what made you go with the Rail, just the motor or other factors as well? Apologies if you have already answered elsewhere

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Rides EMTB - what made you decide to spend your own money on the Rail rather than the updated Levo? Review of the Levo sounded like you really liked the mullet handling and the integration is certainly way better so curious as to what made you go with the Rail, just the motor or other factors as well? Apologies if you have already answered elsewhere
I prefer 29/29 to mullet over the chunk (being tall full 29 suits me better), the Bosch motor with 750 battery is superb, the fact that it can run 170 fork and longer stroke on the rear for more travel (approx 165mm). I think it rides a bit faster than the new Levo too.

Integration isn’t neat, but that’s a second in importance versus the stuff above.

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
I prefer 29/29 to mullet over the chunk (being tall full 29 suits me better), the Bosch motor with 750 battery is superb, the fact that it can run 170 fork and longer stroke on the rear for more travel (approx 165mm). I think it rides a bit faster than the new Levo too.

Integration isn’t neat, but that’s a second in importance versus the stuff above.

Whats your thoughts on the sizing Rob? Which size Levo did you have? I had an S5 and the large Rail looks smaller but the XL has a massive seat tube length.

Not buying for a while but just curious?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Whats your thoughts on the sizing Rob? Which size Levo did you have? I had an S5 and the large Rail looks smaller but the XL has a massive seat tube length.

Not buying for a while but just curious?
S5 Levo and now have L Rail. The XL rail is massive. L is working well for me 👊

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Hello everyone,

Is the 750 wh battery fits in the 625 wh frame? Cause in 2022 the frame in the Rail range are the same, isn't it?

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Only the carbon 2022 Rails have new geometry
and 750 battery. The 750 battery doesn’t fit the older system

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Only the carbon 2022 Rails have new geometry
and 750 battery. The 750 battery doesn’t fit the older system
Thanks for your reply. What a shame... I'm quite heavy, 95 kg with full gear and backpack, do you think 625 wh is enough? Hint: this is one of my playground:
randoon5123-d395c.jpg

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I’m 75kg and if I go only on single tracks (no roads or fireroads) I manage 35km 1200m vertical o. The 625 battery. I’m usually spent at the same time as the battery. This is in EMTB mode only. Not trying to save battery.
Running Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4 front and rear. Cushcore in the rear wheel

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
Great thread!

Just curious, can you extend the stroke of the original Super Deluxe stock shock by removing some spacers? (either to 230x60 or even 230x62.5?)

Mostly seeing coil shocks here also, are there fitment issues with air shocks in similar stroke lengths? (230 x 62.5)

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
I'm really interested in hearing how the Bosch 750 compares to a levo 700 range wise.

Anyone had chance to compare them both yet ?

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
Keep an eye on the Mino Link, mine came loose and fell out. Glad I caught it before a catastrophic failure. Bought an extra to throw in the pack just in case.
Torqued and blue lock tight applied to both sides 🤞

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Keep an eye on the Mino Link, mine came loose and fell out. Glad I caught it before a catastrophic failure. Bought an extra to throw in the pack just in case.
Torqued and blue lock tight applied to both sides 🤞
I also had this exact issue! Lost Mino link on a ride. Now torqued / locktite and hopefully won’t happen again.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I had that too, on my 2017 Fuel ex. Unfortunately on a day at a bike park in the Austrian Alps, which was a bit of a bummer!

Good to see Trek haven't learnt much about the basics in the last 5 years.....

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
E-Mtb magazine group test reviews are out now: Trek Rail 9.9 XX1 AXS – In our big 2022 eMTB group test

Their Rail review seems to have been dominated due to a loose battery issue (and also the stock bontrager tyres, which seem to get routinely bashed on every Trek review on their site!).

Certainly seems contrarian to all the good press the Rail tends to get. I struggle to believe the increase to a bigger battery has turned this bike from great to a lemon?

Has anyone had any of these issues with the battery fitment? Keen to hear some views

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Agreed, that's a crap review. Fair enough a battery shouldn't be rattling around in any ebike frame, let alone from a brand as big as Trek on a bike that expensive but I'm sure it can be resolved.

I have just ordered a 22 Rail 9 GX and will change the tyres before I even ride it. Those two things seem to be the summary of the negatives as you say. Which begs the question why weren't they using control tyres on a grouptest?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
They simply needed to adjust the lower battery mount if it was moving. 2 min fix.

Stock tyres are in fact suitable for a lot of folks (and probably 90% of people that buy the Rail will get on fine with them). But the tyres are not that great if you want ride lower pressures in hard, technical, rocky natural terrain, or more challenging trails like enduro black trails. A bit weak in construction. They're not soft enough compound, sidewalls are a bit thin. Tread pattern is pretty good though, basically the SE5 is like a DHR2 tread and SE6 is like an Assegai.

I didn’t like them so much so changed out.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I just read the review - and got to LOL at some of it.

The 'old' version scored Best In Test:

Screenshot 2022-03-20 at 18.37.33.png

The New version (which is basically the same bike, save for bigger battery and slightly longer front centre to accommodate it) has been down rated in everything 😱😂

Screenshot 2022-03-20 at 18.37.37.png

Anyway - set up right, this bike is the best all round EMTB I've ever ridden, and I bought one, with my own money (that hopefully demonstrates how much I rate it!!!)

miguelmendes

Nov 12, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Thanks for the honest feedback Rob.

lol - this is crazy ⬇

1647802200342.png

I'm looking for a new bike, to replace a 19' Merida Sixty 900e and I'm trying to decide between the Rail and one of the Levo's 22 in carbon.

I got super confused when I read the review.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles