Rail (750Wh) 2022 Bosch Smart 750 Trek Rail Thread

devargos

Jan 17, 2022
Jersey
Agreed. If I try transferring the GPX to my laptop and manually uploading to Strava, it gives an error message. It seems the Flow app is missing some required details in the GPX.

I had the same error. Shouldn't have to export with a pc either eh. They should make this easy within the app like an auto sync to Strava.

Hopefully there are more improvements to come.

One of my favourite parts with the flow app is how it keeps track of how many miles you do in each mode.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I had the same error. Shouldn't have to export with a pc either eh. They should make this easy within the app like an auto sync to Strava.

Hopefully there are more improvements to come.

One of my favourite parts with the flow app is how it keeps track of how many miles you do in each mode.
It definitely shows signs that it could be a very neat app. I have no doubt that they will add features like auto sync with Strava, it just makes sense to do so.

Its good that it shows distance in modes. I'd like them to add ride time to it - would be useful to determine hours for things like suspension servicing etc...

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Thanks, nice to know. I really wish they could implement some kind of geo-fencing, say you are in a bike park, it would be nice to have a little higher max speed before cut off than 25 km/h here in Europe. the speed limit really is for public roads

To be fair I believe the speed limit (at least in the UK) is all places to which the public have access. So the bike park would have to be on board with it, a bit like the Olympic Park which is privately owned but have permitted escooters/eskateboards/onewheels etc. It remains to be seen to what extent Olympic Park would be held liable should a serious pedestrian collision occur. I suspect it would just come down to the person at fault but you never know with the litigious society we live in these days. I wouldn't be surprised if a jumped up lawyer would try filing a claim against the Park.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
To be fair I believe the speed limit (at least in the UK) is all places to which the public have access. So the bike park would have to be on board with it, a bit like the Olympic Park which is privately owned but have permitted escooters/eskateboards/onewheels etc. It remains to be seen to what extent Olympic Park would be held liable should a serious pedestrian collision occur. I suspect it would just come down to the person at fault but you never know with the litigious society we live in these days. I wouldn't be surprised if a jumped up lawyer would try filing a claim against the Park.
Then its probably like that here too. Oh, one could always dream......

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I now have the setup pretty dialled.

35mm Riser Bar, 50mm Stem 5mm rise. Fork at about 105 psi 2 tokens. 500Lb spring on the coil.

170mm fork, 165mm rear travel.

2.4 tyres, flip chip in high, 160mm crank arms. 63.8 degree head angle.

Bike feels absolutely brilliant so far.

96EA8983-E7D5-47FA-9643-D9733F7B900A.jpeg

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I now have the setup pretty dialled.

35mm Riser Bar, 50mm Stem 5mm rise. Fork at about 105 psi 2 tokens. 500Lb spring on the coil.

170mm fork, 165mm rear travel.

2.4 tyres, flip chip in high, 160mm crank arms. 63.8 degree head angle.

Bike feels absolutely brilliant so far.

View attachment 82145
This really has got me looking at one of these, Iv got a 2020 9.8xt and love the bike but when flat out round cwmcarn the Bosch ate the 630 battery way before all my mates on there 700wh levo’s, I bought a gen 3 levo but can’t get it as good as the rail. It can only be the longer and 29 rear, sure the geo pretty similar up front now.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob, how did you get your Fox forks to fit with the 1.8 steer tube? My Fox 38’s are 1.5. I was told Fox doesn’t have a 1.8 available yet.
This is correct. Which is massively annoying. I actually purchased the 58HT version and sent them to Fox for them to fit a 68HT CSU. (At my own cost).

Actually, it still has a 1.5” steerer, it just has the replacement CSU that has a fatter crown so matches aesthetically.

The part number is 820-12-484-KIT

F2BC2093-D567-41FB-B1C6-63E023BB36BE.jpeg

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Rob, make sure you get the bike out in all weathers to give it a thorough testing please!👍 It will be interesting to see if the “new” Bosch smart system, has improved waterproofing as regards the electrical connections to the motor !! My 2020 Rail as been plagued with errors that have occurred due to wet weather riding. ( no power washing at this address )🤨👎

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
How tall are you Rob and was the 9.9 AXS you tested Lor XL? Think we are similar heights and the reach on my 2018 XL e-Sommet is very similar to the L 2022 Rail.

The E-Sommet is touching 4 years old and is just having a second motor fitted under warranty. Been brilliant but tempted to move it on. The Rail ticks many boxes but wow they aren't cheap!

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Was also thinking of looking for a discounted 2021 in XL. Any comments on pros and cons? Guess pros are a discounted price (if I can find one), cons the smaller battery and slacker ST angle? Did I also read that the waterproofing on latest gen Bosch CX motor is improved? Anything else?

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Also saw the 2022 9 GX at £6600. Don't really like SRAM gears but could move those on and change to Shimano (although freehub buggeration required). Can't see any advantage to carbon on ebikes except a bit of weight. Anyone got one? Obviously this is the only Rail thread I've read, so far...

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
£8.3k. Well into the territory of the sort of money I said I'd never spend on a pushbike. Actually it's 5k more than I ever spent on a motorbike, my GSXR1000 was only £3300!

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I could be wrong but I think average salary in the UK is higher than NZ, companies tend to charge what they think the market can support (or will pay)

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Picked up mine today
2022 Trek 9.8 XT size XL, I upgraded the rims to carbon Line Pro 30, suspension mods next. I went for a small ride today. I do like it better than the 2021 9.7 I had.

Looks great! Can I ask did it come with that bottle cage? All the pics on the trek website have cages but its not list in the specs as far as I could see...?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob, any chance you have a link or part number for the 1.8 to 1.5 crown reducer? No one around here knows what I’m talking about.
Thanks, Jeff
1-1/8" to 1-1/2" Converter Crown Race: 543254
Pretty sure it’s that part number. I took it from Trek documents. It’s made by FSA

here’s another option from Acros:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
How tall are you Rob and was the 9.9 AXS you tested Lor XL? Think we are similar heights and the reach on my 2018 XL e-Sommet is very similar to the L 2022 Rail.

The E-Sommet is touching 4 years old and is just having a second motor fitted under warranty. Been brilliant but tempted to move it on. The Rail ticks many boxes but wow they aren't cheap!
190CM 6"3 ish

2022 Rail 9.8 is still quite a big bike so I could ride either XL or L.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Cheers Rob. Was the prismatic 9.9 you tested L or XL? Looked a good fit, if it was XL assume you prefer the L?
Yes that was the XL. Downhill its a monster with massive wheelbase and 517mm reach. But much harder to turn compared to the Large, and the L also is better weight balanced with front to rear centre numbers being closer.

Call Blazing Bikes, ask for Will, they might do you a deal (if you mention we've been chatting lol!!!).

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
This parts information chart may be of future use to anyone looking for parts. I'm deleting the knock block with the delete chip and a new top bearing cover Trek Knock Block 72-Degree Headset Non-Block Frame Chip | Trek Bikes

Should totally delete the knock block (which is pretty useless on a Large frame as there seems to be a load of bar / fork clearance!)

Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 11.04.13.png

DubbyMcDubs

Nov 14, 2021
Sydney
This parts information chart may be of future use to anyone looking for parts. I'm deleting the knock block with the delete chip and a new top bearing cover Trek Knock Block 72-Degree Headset Non-Block Frame Chip | Trek Bikes

Should totally delete the knock block (which is pretty useless on a Large frame as there seems to be a load of bar / fork clearance!)

View attachment 82590

Great resource, thanks!

According to the description on the Trek site, it looks like that the replacement part you linked comes with the bearing cover as well??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles